Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jørge
Paper Tape
Views: 205
Message 1 of 4

Intel display driver not working on Lenovo Flex 2-15 after windows 10 update

Hello

Shortly after updating Windows 10 (to version 1909 I think) in end of august on my Lenovo Flex 2-15, the Intel VGA display driver (Intel HD graphics family) suddenly seemed to to stop working correctly as it couldn't recognize the build in screen. When turning on the PC it seemed to repeatedly reboot but never showed anything on screen.

After connecting an external monitor, I found that windows mananged to boot into the blue recovery screen (which I was only able to see on the external monitor). After trying a lot of different things, I found that booting Windows in fail safe mode let me log into my PC (however I still only had image on the external screen). Disabling the Intel VGA driver then let me reboot windows normally and login (however still only on the external screen). I guess that windows then uses the Nvidia driver for the Nvidia card (or maybe som other build-in windows generic driver).

If I try to project my screen differently (Windows+p) then I get a message that the PC cannot project, and that I should try to update the driver or try another screen-card.

I have tried reinstalling the Intel driver from Lenovo support but the installation cancels as 'the driver is not validated for this computer'. Also the Intel driver assistant software says that I should contact the manufacturer as a 'custom manufacture driver is installed'. And a 'generic driver' may cause technical issues.

My PC is running Windows 10 Home version 10.0.18362, with an Intel core i5-4210U.

Regards

Andreas

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 189
Message 2 of 4

Re: Intel display driver not working on Lenovo Flex 2-15 after windows 10 update

In order to get past the check performed by the Intel Driver Installation program, you need to perform a manual installation of the Intel Graphics Driver.     Below is a link to the driver .zip file hat you should need, which I would guess will be the 64-bit version win64_15.36.36.5067.zip

Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows 7*/8.1* [15.36]  (Version: 15.36.36.5067 (Latest) Date: 5/15/2019)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28798/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36-?produ...

Basically you need to download the .ZIP version of the driver from Intel's website, then right-click on the .zip fie to expand/unzip the files to a folder.    Once unzipped you can then use Device Manager to install the driver manually using the steps in the image below below.     

capture.jpgClick on above image to expand

The steps are also detailed a video located in the link below 

[How To]  Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 and Windows 8*/8.1*

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005629/graphics-drivers.html

Note:  You can used the sames steps shown above to switch the driver used by the Intel Graphics to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver, by selecting it from the "list of device drivers on my computer" when you get to step #8.     That should get your screen working until you unzip the new Intel driver and install it. 

FYI  :  I don't think that the Nvidia cards/drivers support projecting, because I used to be able to project from my PC using the old Intel HD graphics, but after I installed a dedicated Nvidia Card I now get the same message you do.    Hopefully after installing the Intel driver on your Flex it will work again for you.

Cheers,

Jørge
Paper Tape
Views: 162
Message 3 of 4

Re: Intel display driver not working on Lenovo Flex 2-15 after windows 10 update

Hi

Thank you for the reply - I will try to do that manual installation.

However I would like to hear if there is any reason that you linked to the windows 7/8 version of the driver and not the windows 10 version, I found by a quick search at Intel's site:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25308/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-?...

Regards

Jørge
Paper Tape
Views: 136
Message 4 of 4

It turned out that Windows wouldn't let me install neither the win 7/8 or the win 10 driver manually as 'as the best driver was already found to be installed'.

I then tried to install the windows Basic driver, which succeeded but I had still only image on the external monitor and was not able to project differently (eg. to the laptop monitor). Windows still wouldn't let me install the win 7/8 driver, but  the win 10 driver installation seemed to get through. However, shortly after I lost all image and I had to reboot to recovery mode and fail safe mode to deactivate the Intel driver, to get image on the external monitor again (through the Nvidia driver)

I guess the next step would be to make a clean installation of windows 10, but I have bad feelings about that, as I guess it is a problem with windows 10 and the hardware rather than something being corrupted.

As a side note I would like to hear if anybody may tell me how I'm able to get an image if i disable both drivers in device manager, as this seems to be possible.

Regards

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors