cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeremyl2
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,692
Message 1 of 7

Is it a bad battery or bad charging circuit on the mainboard?

The battery is not raising from 10% even though it has been plugged in for weeks.  If I unplug from mains power the charge does decline.  How do I know if I should order a new main board (upon which I understand the charge control circuits rest) or just a battery?  Please contact me directly at admin@jeremylansman.com, as my last post on this topic resulted on NO response.  Thanks.  [ Please note I am unhappy as Lenovo has no response at all to my problem.... none, nil, nada.  Nothing yet.   I guess you are supposed to buy a new laptop...]

I should add this -  A 2nd utility power to laptop charger has been tried and the result is the same.   With the battery unplugged (yes, I can use a screwdriver, open 'er up, and unplug a non user removable battery) the laptop runs fine.  No, I will not see a response here, as I do not usually use Windoze... prefer and get along well with Linux... Yes, I called Lenovo, but no customer service rep has an idea, no less clue as to how the charging circuits work.  Yes, I know LiON batteries can explode, so I will procede with caution.  Yes, the cost of a new laptop is significant to me, not to speak of the huge investment of time setting up yet another computer.  Yes, if you email me, I will boot Windoze 10 and visit or contact you directly...  and in a day or two I will unwrap the battery.  And finally, I do have some battery numbers from a linux tool.   My guess is the charging voltage is being applied to the LiON pack.  But I sure do wish Lenovo had a bit of an idea bout this, or that the battery manufacturer in Taiwan would help.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,686
Message 2 of 7

Re: Is it a bad battery or bad charging circuit on the mainboard?

There is no way to know.  The symptoms of a bad battery and a defective charging circuit are the same.  A servicer would try a known good battery.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
jeremyl2
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,672
Message 3 of 7

As this model is not sold in the nation I am currently in, the chances are a servicer will not be able to help by swapping parts and it is a two hour round trip to Cape Town and back.  I have called the one service center.  No answer... but shall try again.   The exact internal battery may not be easy to find in this country.   By the way, the one time I took it into a Lenovo authorized service center in the USA, at Best Buy, they had to hold on to it more than a week.  I use this thing a lot, and could not at that time part with it for a extended service cycle.  So the right hand hinge is still broken.

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 2,642
Message 4 of 7

You have basically ruled out any simple solution to this. External issues with power adaptor so its basically a battery issue not accepting a charge, or the hardware such as motherboard not being able to charge battery properly. In either case it involves some bench testing to evaluate PC to determine what needs to be replaced. 

jeremyl2
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,625
Message 5 of 7

Hello and thanks Johnnythegeek.   You and I are on the same page.  But I have been unbable to find any information on this from the Lenovo web site.  I have downloaded the service manual.  No battery circuit info. on the main board or the batter is to be found.  At best I am a two hour round trip to a service center at this time.  I called that nearest one a few times during local business hours, but no one answered the telephone.  I will try one more time, as it is now 9:20 here in South Africa.   **** ->>>>  My theory is that Lenovo, a company having a generally excellent attitude about providing information and service refuses to do so on batteries as they can explode... thus by not giving us any info, they expect to avoid liability.  What is wrong with this?  Unless the service center answers the phone and happens to have a spare battery handy, I will snip paper from this battery and pull out the soldering iron... and without information risk I may do somehting wrong is increased.  <-*******    By the way, this is the info I do get, though not in Windoze...   And not from Lenovo 

jeremy@jeremy-Flex-3-1580:~$ acpi -V
Battery 0: Unknown, 12%
Battery 0: design capacity 4182 mAh, last full capacity 3700 mAh = 88%
Adapter 0: on-line
Thermal 0: ok, 41.0 degrees C
Thermal 0: trip point 0 switches to mode critical at temperature 126.0 degrees C
Thermal 1: ok, 41.0 degrees C
Thermal 1: trip point 0 switches to mode critical at temperature 98.0 degrees C
Cooling 0: x86_pkg_temp no state information available
Cooling 1: intel_powerclamp no state information available
Cooling 2: Processor 0 of 10
Cooling 3: Processor 0 of 10
Cooling 4: Processor 0 of 10
Cooling 5: Processor 0 of 10

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 2,616
Message 6 of 7

Not having serviceable batteries to me was done to place the end user in a position of replacing pc rather then spend money to have a tech replace it. Planned obsolescence as I call it. Your last known battery info looks good so my guess would be the motherboard is the damaged part. Without having a good known battery to verify this its just a process of elimination. 

jeremyl2
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,583
Message 7 of 7

My reading of this is that thermal breakers in the battery are OK.

It is a shame Lenovo does not support this part of their Windows system as well as Linux.

Ha.

jeremy@jeremy-Flex-3-1580:~$ upower -i /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0
  native-path:          BAT0
  vendor:               SMP
  model:                L14M3P21
  serial:               3753
  power supply:         yes
  updated:              Fri 01 Dec 2017 11:12:52 AM SAST (116 seconds ago)
  has history:          yes
  has statistics:       yes
  battery
    present:             yes
    rechargeable:        yes
    state:               charging
    warning-level:       none
    energy:              3.53 Wh
    energy-empty:        0 Wh
    energy-full:         39.87 Wh
    energy-full-design:  45 Wh
    energy-rate:         0 W