Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deleted
Punch Card
Views: 479
Message 1 of 17

Is this normal?

Hello IdeaPad Flex 15 20309 owners, I have two questions for you. I've noticed when playing medium graphic intensive games, my CPU gets up to 77 degrees celsius according to intel extreme tuning utility. I did not tweak my laptop, I'm using the program only for temperature monitoring. My laptop is also on a table and I got it on 1/11/2014 so I doubt theres dust buildup. Is this normal? Do your guy's cpu get that hot too?

Second question, I've noticed when it is hot, the fan sounds kinda loud but not much air comes out. I think far more air comes out when I run the fan cleaning tool in the lenovo energy manager. Is it normal it's loud but not much airflow?

Just wondering before I contact technical support.

reconrey
Serial Port
Views: 460
Message 2 of 17

Re: Is this normal?

I'd say it is fine. The TJMax of that chip is 100c, also these small form factor notebooks do not provide as much room for ventilation which leads to chips running hotter than on larger laptops.

Deleted
Punch Card
Views: 432
Message 3 of 17

Thanks. Will I see any impact in performance and health of the laptop?

reconrey
Serial Port
Views: 422
Message 4 of 17

No, it should be fine. If you are really concerned about it, you can always get a laptop cooling tray to sit under it.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 412
Message 5 of 17

Its fine... If it gets too hot it, the laptop would automatically shutdown to prevent overheating.

no worries there mate ... btw 77c its considered quite cool if you were playing gaming. My desktop runs wayyyy hotter than that despite on a huge heatsink.

*Non Lenovo employee*

I have a Y530 ... Feel free to highlight any post which you have posted on the forum to me if no one have chimed in.
reconrey
Serial Port
Views: 408
Message 6 of 17

@ExJamJus wrote:
Its fine... If it gets too hot it, the laptop would automatically shutdown to prevent overheating.

no worries there mate ... btw 77c its considered quite cool if you were playing gaming. My desktop runs wayyyy hotter than that despite on a huge heatsink.

Are you refering to your graphics card or processor being hotter than 77c? Because if it is your processor, then you have some huge issues. If I'm not mistake, you shouldn't run desktop processors over 70c without shortening lifespan and causing damage.

Deleted
Punch Card
Views: 397
Message 7 of 17

@reconrey wrote:

No, it should be fine. If you are really concerned about it, you can always get a laptop cooling tray to sit under it.

I was planning to get a laptop cooler because of this. Would it be worth it? Also, what do you guys think about the second issue I'm having where the fan sounds kind of loud but not much airflow?

reconrey
Serial Port
Views: 383
Message 8 of 17

@Deleted wrote:

@reconrey wrote:

I was planning to get a laptop cooler because of this. Would it be worth it? Also, what do you guys think about the second issue I'm having where the fan sounds kind of loud but not much airflow?

I personally do not think that running the processor at 77c is all that bad to begin with. It is always better to run the computer cooler if possible, and a cooler will not be all that much money so it could be a wise investment. About the fan airflow issue, did you try dusting the vents out with compressed air? That could also help with cooling (and potentially quiet down the fan and increase airflow), and depending on the enviornment in which you use the laptop, there could be a lot of dust build up for it being only 8 months old. Dusting it with compressed air occasionally is a good practice. Also, the dust removal feature revs the fan up higher than it will originally. I have a y510p laptop and it will thermal throttle at nearly 100c and the fans will not be pushing as much air as the dust removal function. I have been digging around trying to find a way to get the fans to spin constantly at the dust removal level to lower tends and reduce throttling, but to no avail.

Deleted
Punch Card
Views: 371
Message 9 of 17

@reconrey wrote:

@Deleted wrote:

@reconrey wrote:

I personally do not think that running the processor at 77c is all that bad to begin with. It is always better to run the computer cooler if possible, and a cooler will not be all that much money so it could be a wise investment. About the fan airflow issue, did you try dusting the vents out with compressed air? That could also help with cooling (and potentially quiet down the fan and increase airflow), and depending on the enviornment in which you use the laptop, there could be a lot of dust build up for it being only 8 months old. Dusting it with compressed air occasionally is a good practice. Also, the dust removal feature revs the fan up higher than it will originally. I have a y510p laptop and it will thermal throttle at nearly 100c and the fans will not be pushing as much air as the dust removal function. I have been digging around trying to find a way to get the fans to spin constantly at the dust removal level to lower tends and reduce throttling, but to no avail.

I vacuumed the side vent with fan dust removal mode on, would compressed air with the laptop off be better?

reconrey
Serial Port
Views: 359
Message 10 of 17

@Deleted wrote:

@reconrey wrote:

@Deleted wrote:

@reconrey wrote:

I vacuumed the side vent with fan dust removal mode on, would compressed air with the laptop off be better?

Compressed air will likely perform better. The problem is that dust gets stuck in the fan filter and reving the fan up or putting a vacuume on the exhaust will not necesarily pull the dust through the filter. If you were to get compressed air then blow it in small bursts into the exhaust vent with the computer off, this will push the dust that is lodged in the fan filter from the other side allowing it to be dislodged easier. Just be sure that the laptop is off when you do this. Also, the fan dust removal feature, in my personal experience, does nothing. And, if you are willing to, the it could also be a good ideal to dissassemble the laptop and dust it out, however this could potentially voind your warranty and do this if you feel comfortable doing it, so do it at your own risk.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors