Views: 275
Message 11 of 17

Re: Is this normal?

@reconrey wrote:

@Deleted wrote:

@reconrey wrote:

@Deleted wrote:

@reconrey wrote:

No, it should be fine. If you are really concerned about it, you can always get a laptop cooling tray to sit under it.

I was planning to get a laptop cooler because of this. Would it be worth it? Also, what do you guys think about the second issue I'm having where the fan sounds kind of loud but not much airflow?

I personally do not think that running the processor at 77c is all that bad to begin with. It is always better to run the computer cooler if possible, and a cooler will not be all that much money so it could be a wise investment. About the fan airflow issue, did you try dusting the vents out with compressed air? That could also help with cooling (and potentially quiet down the fan and increase airflow), and depending on the enviornment in which you use the laptop, there could be a lot of dust build up for it being only 8 months old. Dusting it with compressed air occasionally is a good practice. Also, the dust removal feature revs the fan up higher than it will originally. I have a y510p laptop and it will thermal throttle at nearly 100c and the fans will not be pushing as much air as the dust removal function. I have been digging around trying to find a way to get the fans to spin constantly at the dust removal level to lower tends and reduce throttling, but to no avail.

I vacuumed the side vent with fan dust removal mode on, would compressed air with the laptop off be better?

Compressed air will likely perform better. The problem is that dust gets stuck in the fan filter and reving the fan up or putting a vacuume on the exhaust will not necesarily pull the dust through the filter. If you were to get compressed air then blow it in small bursts into the exhaust vent with the computer off, this will push the dust that is lodged in the fan filter from the other side allowing it to be dislodged easier. Just be sure that the laptop is off when you do this. Also, the fan dust removal feature, in my personal experience, does nothing. And, if you are willing to, the it could also be a good ideal to dissassemble the laptop and dust it out, however this could potentially voind your warranty and do this if you feel comfortable doing it, so do it at your own risk.

Thank you, I've already tried to open it and it didn't open. It seems stuck together and I didn't want to break it.

Deleted
Punch Card
Views: 256
Message 12 of 17

@reconrey wrote:

@Deleted wrote:

@reconrey wrote:

@Deleted wrote:

@reconrey wrote:

No, it should be fine. If you are really concerned about it, you can always get a laptop cooling tray to sit under it.

I was planning to get a laptop cooler because of this. Would it be worth it? Also, what do you guys think about the second issue I'm having where the fan sounds kind of loud but not much airflow?

I personally do not think that running the processor at 77c is all that bad to begin with. It is always better to run the computer cooler if possible, and a cooler will not be all that much money so it could be a wise investment. About the fan airflow issue, did you try dusting the vents out with compressed air? That could also help with cooling (and potentially quiet down the fan and increase airflow), and depending on the enviornment in which you use the laptop, there could be a lot of dust build up for it being only 8 months old. Dusting it with compressed air occasionally is a good practice. Also, the dust removal feature revs the fan up higher than it will originally. I have a y510p laptop and it will thermal throttle at nearly 100c and the fans will not be pushing as much air as the dust removal function. I have been digging around trying to find a way to get the fans to spin constantly at the dust removal level to lower tends and reduce throttling, but to no avail.

I vacuumed the side vent with fan dust removal mode on, would compressed air with the laptop off be better?

Compressed air will likely perform better. The problem is that dust gets stuck in the fan filter and reving the fan up or putting a vacuume on the exhaust will not necesarily pull the dust through the filter. If you were to get compressed air then blow it in small bursts into the exhaust vent with the computer off, this will push the dust that is lodged in the fan filter from the other side allowing it to be dislodged easier. Just be sure that the laptop is off when you do this. Also, the fan dust removal feature, in my personal experience, does nothing. And, if you are willing to, the it could also be a good ideal to dissassemble the laptop and dust it out, however this could potentially voind your warranty and do this if you feel comfortable doing it, so do it at your own risk.

Is it possible to open it? If so, how?

reconrey
Serial Port
Views: 236
Message 13 of 17

@Deleted wrote:

@reconrey wrote:

@Deleted wrote:

@reconrey wrote:

@Deleted wrote:

@reconrey wrote:

I did a little research and it is pretty simple. You just have to remove all the screws on the bottom, there are also two under the rubber feat, then the bottom will come off with some gentle prying (it is held on by plastic clips).

The IdeaPad does not feature a maintenance cover. The base unit's underside has to be taken off to access the innards. For this, all screws on the underside first have to be removed. Note: screws are also underneath both rear rubber feet. Then the underside can be lifted off with a putty knife. However, this should be done carefully because the underside is fixed with plastic hooks. Nevertheless, we have to point out that opening the casing is easier than is known from other Lenovo laptops. Users who want to open the casing should first read the Hardware Maintenance Manual of the Flex 15.

From http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Flex-15-Notebook.107939.0.html

Deleted
Punch Card
Views: 207
Message 14 of 17

@reconrey wrote:

@Deleted wrote:

@reconrey wrote:

@Deleted wrote:

@reconrey wrote:

@Deleted wrote:

@reconrey wrote:

I did a little research and it is pretty simple. You just have to remove all the screws on the bottom, there are also two under the rubber feat, then the bottom will come off with some gentle prying (it is held on by plastic clips).

The IdeaPad does not feature a maintenance cover. The base unit's underside has to be taken off to access the innards. For this, all screws on the underside first have to be removed. Note: screws are also underneath both rear rubber feet. Then the underside can be lifted off with a putty knife. However, this should be done carefully because the underside is fixed with plastic hooks. Nevertheless, we have to point out that opening the casing is easier than is known from other Lenovo laptops. Users who want to open the casing should first read the Hardware Maintenance Manual of the Flex 15.

From http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Flex-15-Notebook.107939.0.html

Thank you! I got it open but I didn't see any dust buildup, looked really clean. However, I still sprayed compressed air at the fan and in the vents. I don't see much difference in temperature. Do you know if there is any bios updates?

indest
Bit Torrent
Views: 199
Message 15 of 17

Please, without quoting my post, upload a picture of your task manager. Sort the items by CPU usage.

reconrey
Serial Port
Views: 197
Message 16 of 17

I just looked through the Lenovo support information for that laptop and there are no BIOS updates, and even if there was that would likely not help the temperatures at all. If this is about the temperatures, I think 77c is just fine. Here is the Intel ARK listing for the processor and it states that the max temperature is 100c (listed under Tjunction). My i7 4700MQ in my laptop (a y510p) gets up over 80c when gaming. The only other thing I think that would help would be to re paste the CPU, however I do not think it is necessary and will definately void the warranty. If you decide to do this then I would recommend using non conductive paste (Arctic Silver V would be great), but once again, I do not think that this is reaally necessary and do it at your own risk.

Moderator Note; direct answer, unnecessary quote removed

indest
Bit Torrent
Views: 193
Message 17 of 17

Why not try to see if he has a rogue program clocking his cpu? Really do people just assume hardware issues as the #1 problem?

From my experience, leNOvo does not kNOw how to code drivers. All their driver sucks. So I always suspect driver issues before hardware. 

In his case, I don't even suspect driver issue(s). I suspect a program like chrome burning through his cpu cause of poor flash implementation (or a similar situation).

Also, if there is a 2 sided conversation, there is no need to quote each other ever single time and keep a quote tree -.- ....

This thread reminds me of class. When a prof ask what is the most likely problem, people automatically start spitting out differential that should be lower on the list than the most-likely cause.

When troubleshooting a person's computer always assume software before hardware. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors