cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bountho
Paper Tape
Views: 1,270
Message 1 of 16

LENOVA FLEX 5 FAN NOISE SPORADIC JUST ON WEB BROWSER!!!!!!

JUST BOUGHT THE LENOVA AND FANS RUNS SPORADIC.  have 5 days to return it is this normal.  I'm going to put negative reviews about this laptop due to fan issue.  Notice previous laptops and other Lenova's have this problem.  will ask the Amazon community about this issue

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,266
Message 2 of 16

Re: LENOVA FLEX 5 FAN NOISE SPORADIC JUST ON WEB BROWSER!!!!!!

I get that all the time. I blame bad code on some websites. I mostly run Chrome. When the fans spins up, I know something's taxing the processor. I can usually close a tab or two and it settles back down. And it varies by website. One day, a page at AVSForum.com won't do anything.. another day, an ad on the same page will start things ramping up. No-frills pages such as Gmail and this forum don't tax the processor much at all. I put on an adblocker which helps. 

What I really dislike is Windows 10's forced updates. I can be merrily typing along in Word without a browser open and the fan ramps up. I go into Task Manager and see that Windows is updating. A warning would be nice.

Anyway, next time it happens, hit airplane mode for a minute and see if it settles down. Or use Task Manager to identify what's taxing the processor. I had a Dell laptop I WISH had a bigger fan. After upgrading to Win 10, I had to replace the motherboard twice due to overheating. 

FWIW, I'm working with a i7 910 and an i5 920. Both pretty quiet with the browser closed.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Bountho
Paper Tape
Views: 1,239
Message 3 of 16

i got the flex 5  i5 256 gb.   such a nice laptop with beautiful display.  i'll try your suggestions and see what happens.  may have to return but don't really want to.  with the fan coming on many times i don't see this laptop lasting more than 3 years

Bountho
Paper Tape
Views: 1,236
Message 4 of 16

I wonder if all the laptops have fan issue want to try and buy another one.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,233
Message 5 of 16

I can't speak for the Flex 5, but the fans in my 910 and, to a lesser extent, my 920 are a little more noticable than other computers I've owned. Then, again, my 910 is an i7. You put that processor in a super-thin case like Lenovo has done and it's going to be difficult to cool when under a high load. Simple physics. My 920 is an i5 and got pretty hot while doing Windows update, but not since. I still have some paces to put the 920 through, though. 

Bountho
Paper Tape
Views: 1,215
Message 6 of 16

Thanks for the experience.  it seems like Lenova is not really responsive they rather have the community solve it's issue.  

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,207
Message 7 of 16

Did you even try the stuff I mentioned?  What did you find in Task Manager when the fan is running high?

Bountho
Paper Tape
Views: 1,200
Message 8 of 16

when i ran the presintalled macafee virus scan.  the fan ran the whole time the scan was on and more.

i attached pic of task manager.  not too good with computers

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,193
Message 9 of 16

Something's eating 91% of your CPU resources, but you'd have to scroll down to see what it is. Your screenshot's just the top of the list. With that much load on the CPU,  you WANT the fan running.

It's not surprising to have a virus scanner ramp up a fan. That happens on my desktop as well as my laptops. They're processor intensive programs. 

Scroll down and look for the process that's hogging your CPU.

Bountho
Paper Tape
Views: 1,187
Message 10 of 16

i listed on process usage

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors