Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Igor330s
Paper Tape
Views: 603
Message 1 of 6

LENOVO IdeaPad 330S-14 heats up when turned OFF ,plugged on AC power

Hello guys

I bought this laptop and ovearll it works great however i noticed that the device(some of its components)would remain turned ON even if the device is powered OFF.

They seem to react when device is hooked up on AC while turned OFF.

I played with the BIOS settings and despite charging features that were inside culprit was switchable graphics settings.

As soon as i set it up to Intel UMA problem seems to go away.

Now heating up is not too much but since the cooler is turned OFF and components being ON i am not sure if running laptop too long would build up too much degrees.

I left laptop for 2 days like this closed up and it did not build up a lot ,around 50°C to 60°C(celsius) or even less if left around 12 hours.

Now due to CPU being newer generation i5 8250u and metal chacy ovearll it did not affected the display due to heat that it produced.

Discrete GPU inside is Radeon 540 2GB version,not to be confused with RX540 but regardless Radeon 500 series is in fact part of newest Polaris architecture same as RX540 is.

For me its not a dealbreaker as i would primarily develop and test apps on iGPU and use dGPU as additional push up/performance test.

Overall Radeon 540  provides 20% more performance than Intel UHD 620 on GNU-linux systems.

Is there any BIOS update that will fix this issue in the future or is there any type of workaround for this issue.

This is first time that i am using Lenovo laptop so its the first time for me to see this type of problem.

Regards 

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 572
Message 2 of 6

Re: LENOVO IdeaPad 330S-14 heats up when turned OFF ,plugged on AC power

Hi Igor330s,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Did you notice if the power light is flashing when you turn off your laptop? When turning off the laptop did you select Shutdown or just closing the lid? If you're not getting over 80ºC then the temperature is fine. We have a BIOS update that was released last September 20, 2018 and the version is 7SCN23WW. You may check the BIOS version currently installed on your laptop and if it has a different version just download the update using the link below. 

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/300-series/330s-14ikb/downloads

Let us know how it goes. 

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Igor330s
Paper Tape
Views: 560
Message 3 of 6

I updated the BIOS and its still the same.

Also i checked the LEDs and only one that is lighted ON is the one that detects AC.

Regards

Igor330s
Paper Tape
Views: 542
Message 4 of 6

Let me just be a little more precise on this one.

If i would for example power ON the device with already plugged in AC it would work normally and after turned OFF it would not build up any heat until i would plug OFF/ON AC adapter while laptop being turned OFF.

This is why i think it might be BIOS or maybe AC adapter is faulty.

Currently i am waiting for the powerbank to arrive which have voltage regulator(still unsure when it will arrive due to customs).

Would it be ok to try universal AC adapter and trying to tweak the power in order to get the laptop to run properly without any heat?

Regards

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 535
Message 5 of 6

Hi Igor330s,

You can try a universal charger to test the laptop just make sure it has the same voltage. Possible that the battery is also causing the heat because when you try to disconnect and reconnect the charger the battery might act that it needs to be charged.

Kindly update us how it goes.

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Igor330s
Paper Tape
Views: 500
Message 6 of 6

Hello

I tried to replace power cable that goes into the AC adapter and it did not had any effect,same as replacement AC adapter.

I even tried powerbank that can power ON the laptop (DC based connector)but still no luck.

Then i decided to open laptop and completely remove battery,turned ON and afterwards OFF the laptop and it was completely shutted down.

Now i did made sure to check and part of the laptop that was heating up was not battery at all but the GPU that remained turned ON,now since CPU did had less heat i am not sure if it was turned ON also or heat just went through through the heatpipes.

Now i am only not sure how can i know if its exactly issue in the battery or if its the issue of particualr resistor in the board that serves to manage battery.

I am probably going to buy spare battery(replacement battery)and try that out but was interested to know what could possibly be other options.

Thanks 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors