Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Edu_Murad
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,740
Message 1 of 6

LeNovo Flex 3 1480 - Keyboard and touchpad issue after Windows 10 boot up

I have a LeNovo Flex 3 1480 [80R3] for about a year with zero problems.

The only modded thing is a Sandisk 480gb SSD drive, with a Windows 10 installation from scratch, installed in the very first day I bought this machine.

I was running Windows 10 version 1607 normally, and really enjoying this machine, but since last week when I was booting up, the machine freezed at bootscreen (the one with the lenovo logo) and then restarted showing the message "Preparing Automatic Repair" that took almost a whole day to pass.

The repair never happened and I had to use the option to reset windows maintaining my personal files. After this everytime I boot up, windows 10 take up to 10 minutes to boot, and my keyboard and touchpad won't work, leaving me with only the touchscreen option.

I've been through a lot of different solutions attempts:
- Upgraded BIOS to the latest version (Lenovo colored logo at bootscreen)
- Uninstalled KB and Touchpad drivers manually and reinstalled with Lenovo provided drivers, and also repeated the procedure with Windows Update drivers.

- Disabled the fast startup option
- Done the 15s procedure with the power button
- Deattached the battery plug for some minutes and reattached

- Checked (unplug and replug) both KB and Touchpad flatwires

- Reinstalled the latest Windows 10 version 1703 from scratch

None of the solution mentioned above worked for me.

KB works perfectly in BIOS, and even when booting up I can change de backlight settings using Fn+Spacebar, after Windows 10 have booted is not possible to change backlight settings anymore, like it has freezed.

Keyboard drivers are installed and running fine looking at device manager.

Touchpad drivers are not ok, there is a "Lenovo pointing device" entry with an exclamation mark that stays hidden at device manager, and none of my attempts to correct it have worked.

External USB KB and Mice work fine. 

Please, any suggestions? Tired of having this expensive "paper-rock" at my desk.

Edu_Murad
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,703
Message 2 of 6

Re: LeNovo Flex 3 1480 - Keyboard and touchpad issue after Windows 10 boot up

Adding some info after some new research.

Will try other 2 slightly different options:

1) 15s power button trick with battery and charger unplugged
2) Installation of LeNovo provided Intel ME drivers, read some info that it might interfere at the keyboard and mice functionality. Actually I'm running Windows chipset provided drivers.

But still in doubt, which available driver should I install? There are 2 available.

1) Intel ME Driver 63.6 MB Windows 10 (64-bit) 11.0.0.1176 - Release 30/8/2016
2) Intel Management Engine Interface Driver 81.5 MB Windows 10 (64-bit) 11.6.0.1015 - Release 29/11/2016
3) Both drivers, in release date/version ascending order.

Edu_Murad
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,652
Message 3 of 6

Still having problems

Installed Intel Management Engine Interface Driver 81.5 MB Windows 10 (64-bit) 11.6.0.1015 - Release 29/11/2016

Did a 30sec power button hold with battery disconnected

Disabled ELAN SMBus driver, read somewhere that it could solve the problem.

Nothing happened.

I'll try to make a bootable Windows 7 usb drive just to confirm that it is a Windows 10 issue.
lvlpost
Paper Tape
Views: 3,586
Message 4 of 6

You can try 3 methods below:

• Press function keys just in case : Fn + F11, Fn + F9, or Fn + F3.
  • Update the Mouse Driver
  • Once your driver is updated, check if the issue has resolved. If not, maybe the latest version of Mouse isn’t compatible with Windows 10. So you need to roll back your mouse driver.
Edu_Murad
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,571
Message 5 of 6

None of this methods can work

Lenovo KB doesn't need FnKey to be pressed, F3 is volume up, F9 is to turn off lcd and F11 is brightness

The Touchpad toggle button is F6, but my keyboard stops working as soon as windows 10 boots up, as mentioned above.

While loading Windows (Lenovo logo appearing) I can still toogle KB backlight, after that the KB freezes at the state I left it.

The mouse driver is up to latest date, used driverpack solution, updated lots of drivers, no changes with KB and Touchpad.

There is no way to rollback mouse driver since as I already mentioned did a clean install of windows 10.

Edu_Murad
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,547
Message 6 of 6

Solved the problem myself, thank you LeNovo for nothing, no support at all.

I've decided to disassemble the computer and inspect all the conections, and if nothing were found I would try to replace both KB and touchpad hardware.

Fortunately when dissassembling the touchpad I found that the flatcable end near to the device was dirty, with some kind of melted grease, probably due to the sea air (my house faces the beach).

Did a full inspect and cleaning, and "voi lá", my laptop is working fine again.

Top Kudoed Authors