Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skeltonmod
Paper Tape
Views: 3,161
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo 15iby BIOS mode can't recognize USB

HI, Me again so i made a bootable USB with "rufus" and when i enter BIOS mode the USB stick can't be recognize it's

just Windows Boot Manager "WDC" and that PXE network

P.S the USB works with my other Machines

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,116
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo 15iby BIOS mode can't recognize USB

@skeltonmod wrote:

HI, Me again so i made a bootable USB with "rufus" and when i enter BIOS mode the USB stick can't be recognize it's

just Windows Boot Manager "WDC" and that PXE network.  P.S the USB works with my other Machines

A boot from a USB memory stick is insecure.  If "Secure Boot" is enabled in the BIOS, the BIOS won't allow you to boot from the memory stick.  So you need to enter the BIOS and disable "Secure Boot".

A separate question is whether you want to install Windows in UEFI mode, or in MBR mode.  A memory stick created from a Windows 10 ISO downloaded from Microsoft can install in either UEFI mode or MBR mode (the memory stick has the necessary files for both).  Which install you get depends on the setting of "Boot Mode" in the BIOS.  Set this to "UEFI" for a UEFI install, or to "Legacy Support" if you want an MBR install.  However...

If you want an MBR install and the disk has already been partitioned as GPT (Guid Partition Table), you might need to convert the disk to MBR before proceeding with the MBR install (not sure about that).

Finally, if you want a UEFI install with maximum security, re-enter the BIOS after the install is complete, and enable "Secure Boot".

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

skeltonmod
Paper Tape
Views: 3,094
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo 15iby BIOS mode can't recognize USB

Booting through the BIOS using a USB 2.0 stick was the solution. All seems fine now and i'm running on Windows 7.

can i change the partition aside from GPT?

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors