cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michael95621
What's DOS?
Views: 2,974
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo 320-15ABR Laptop (ideapad) 80XS M.2 SSD PCIe NVMe Upgrade 32 GB transfer Speed

Hi All,

I'm looking to upgrade the hard drive in this laptop as it seems to be the only real bottleneck performance wise. From what I can find online only the 2.5" form factor at Sata III 6 GB/s is supported, but there is an adapter for the M.2. form factor but still at 6 GB/s.

My main question is is there something I am missing and is this laptop capable of having a PCIe NVMe SSD hard drive to achieve transfer speeds of 32 GB or is it limited to Sata III 6 GB/s because the port option isn't there?

- Michael

BurkeyAcademy
What's DOS?
Views: 1,570
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo 320-15ABR Laptop (ideapad) 80XS M.2 SSD PCIe NVMe Upgrade 32 GB transfer Speed

From what I can tell this board does not have an M.2 or NVME port.  SO, you are limited to the speed of the SATA port that exists.  Bying an NVME drive (or M.2) and then an adapter would be a waste of money.  However, Buying a normal 2.5" SATA SSD would improve speeds greatly over the stock 5400RPM hard drive that seems to come in most of them- and save on batterly life as well.

michael95621
What's DOS?
Views: 1,562
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo 320-15ABR Laptop (ideapad) 80XS M.2 SSD PCIe NVMe Upgrade 32 GB transfer Speed

100% right.

I confirmed this information from tech support a while back. 

Thanks for posting. 

The sata drive was a dramatic improvement. I think I paid just under 400 all said in done for the laptop with upgrade. Well worth it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors