English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

06-18-2018

IN

5 Signins

49 Page Views

• Views: 49
  • Message 1 of 12

Lenovo 320 laptop came with a bad hard drive

2018-06-18, 5:17 AM

I bought my new laptop - Lenovo 320 Type 80XL - earlier this year in February. It's hardly been four months, but it seems the internal HDD's already showing signs of collapse.

It started out as random freezes - stuttering when playing multimedia, sometimes short-lived but sometimes persistent, so much so that the whole system froze up and refused to take any inputs. I had to force a shutdown. It isn't limited to multimedia either - it'll freeze up and take no response when I'm working in my browser, for example. This isn't supposed to happen, because the laptop specs are pretty good, and on most of these occassions the total workload was very low e.g. a browser, Mail and a torrent client.

I looked online, and found out about a tool called CrystalDiskInfo. The S.M.A.R.T data says that my hard disk's going boinkers - I've attached a screenshot. I looked online, and the only answer I've found so far is that I got a bad hard drive, and I should back up my data and be prepared to replace it at any moment.

I believe the community can understand my disappointment at being handed a drive that goes bad in less than four months from the date of purchase. Moreover, I've received no answer from support so far. I emailed support two weeks ago - not even an acknowledgement.

If the warranty expires, I'll have to face a rather hard loss, since I'm a college student and money's valuable when it comes by. At the same time, it's an annoyance to go talk straight to a store/service center official in my city (in India) because too many of them are underpaid morons who don't give a fluff about my problem. I suspect they'll try to bs me into going to a different repair center or, even worse, undertake responsibility of my hard-earned device without the proper technical finesse.

I'm enquring via other channels as well - e.g. consumer forums. All I want is to ensure that I have a well-functioning laptop - a laptop that I paid for - well into the future. Help please?

Options

10396 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39211 Signins

404887 Page Views

• Views: 404887
  • Message 2 of 12

Re: Lenovo 320 laptop came with a bad hard drive

2018-06-18, 6:38 AM

CrystalDiskInfo is what I use also, and if it thinks the disk is bad, so do I.  There are several drive makers, and they all have MTBF numbers in the hundreds of thousands of hours,  (your drive looks like a seagate)  I would also run the diagnostics in Lenovo Vantage. How and when did you contact support?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

222 Posts

06-16-2018

PH

114 Signins

1358 Page Views

• Views: 1358
  • Message 3 of 12

2018-06-18, 8:57 AM

These Things can really happen. The good thing is that HDDs are pretty easy to replace.

You buy and HDD and replace it by yourself. Or...
You go to Lenovo Service Center and let them replace it for you, either you buy an HDD or you provide them an HDD.

HDDs die faster, averaging 3-5 yrs of lifespan. If you want better ones, buy SSDs, far more reliable and better life. They are even fast. Just make sure it is compatible to your laptop.

And don't really blame Lenovo, they don't make HDDs, but rather Seagate/Western Digital/Toshiba. Laptop companies depend with either the three of them. Manufacturing defects may occur like yours, and these things happen. So just replace it.

Options

4297 Posts

11-18-2012

US

9979 Signins

610511 Page Views

• Views: 610511
  • Message 4 of 12

2018-06-18, 8:38 AM

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Options

5 Posts

06-18-2018

IN

5 Signins

49 Page Views

• Message 5 of 12

2018-06-20, 6:30 AM

Hey I contacted support via the following URL:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/in/en/EmailWithService

I can't say precisely since I didn't receive an acknowledgement but I think it was between 2 to 3 weeks ago.

Regarding the issue, I don't know what happened. I ran the custom disk check on Lenovo vantage, and the problem seems to be gone. The report in CrystalDiskInfo has gone from Caution to Good.

Might this be a temporary fix? What happened?

Options

222 Posts

06-16-2018

PH

114 Signins

1358 Page Views

• Message 6 of 12

2018-06-20, 8:14 AM
Weird but...

Disk Check softwares only estimate on how healthy your hard drive is.

I suggest you still replace it. For me, it doesn't make me feel confident that my hard drive is normal again after it being problematic. Maybe after a few days that hard drive will become problematic again.

Make a backup, and buy a new one, and/or let Lenovo Service Center replace that for you.
Options

10396 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39211 Signins

404887 Page Views

• Message 7 of 12

2018-06-20, 14:59 PM

I would be interested in seeing the entire CrystalDiskInfo report.  You show the bottom half of the first one and the top of the second

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Options

5 Posts

06-18-2018

IN

5 Signins

49 Page Views

• Message 8 of 12

2018-06-20, 17:49 PM

My bad, here you go.

Options

5 Posts

06-18-2018

IN

5 Signins

49 Page Views

• Message 9 of 12

2018-06-20, 17:52 PM

Exactly my thought. I read an account of a similar experience with a Seagate HDD on a tech forum when I first saw the cautionary warning of CrystalDiskInfo. The problem went away after using SeaTools, but the real question is whether it just fixed the symptoms or the root cause.

Options

10396 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39211 Signins

404887 Page Views

• Message 10 of 12

2018-06-20, 18:08 PM

I do't know.  If you ran a low-level format or SeaTools, it will rebuild the bad track map.  At a minimum, I would run CrystalDiskInfo every few days for a while.

Rich

Options

5 Posts

06-18-2018

IN

5 Signins

49 Page Views

• Message 11 of 12

2018-06-21, 6:32 AM

So the freeze-up thing happened again. It's not what happens when you're low on resources, and applications stop responding. The entire system stopped acknowledging input - the mouse cursor wouldn't move. I pressed the Windows button, Alt+F4 - nothing.

When this had happened previously, my solution was to unplug the laptop - the system would immediately start responding - and plug it back in again. Today it was unplugged to begin with when the issue came up, so I plugged it in and it started working. tl;dr the system freezes up and changing the power status seems to be a solution.

I don't know if it's related to the hard disk but I thought I'd mention it nevertheless. I checked CrystalDiskInfo and it's still "good".

Options

222 Posts

06-16-2018

PH

114 Signins

1358 Page Views

• Message 12 of 12

2018-06-21, 8:11 AM
Again, please replace it. I'm not confident if your HDD is really healthy.

When your entire system stopped acknowledging import, it can be related to your hard drive as well, because it needs to read and write stuffs, and remember there are programs and services running in the background and the hard drive has to to those stuffs as well. Maybe that's why your laptop didn't respond until you plugged it in. It's at high load. It's also like running a game while there is an installation in the background, your game would seriously lag and stop responding at some point.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save