cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
redmike58
Punch Card
Views: 9,436
Message 1 of 20

Lenovo 330s Ideapad - Constantly running fan low and high speeds.

Hello All. 

I am asking some advice re my Lenovo 330s Ideapad. New out of the box within the last month, it has had problems with the fan constantly running, both at low and at high speeds.

I have searched the web for solutions but nothing seems to help. 

My BIOS appears up to date, but does not offer any opportunity to disable/change fan settings (there aren't any).

I like the laptop but the fan noise/constant running is really annoying when I work from home on it every day.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 9,399
Message 2 of 20

Re: Lenovo 330s Ideapad - Constantly running fan low and high speeds.

Hi redmike58,

Welcome to the community forums.

Does the laptop overheating? If not, could you try the steps on this forum provided by "John449": https://lnv.gy/2oTYBhs It is for Ideapad 520 but this should work with your laptop. If still does the same, we suggest contacting our local support here: https://lnv.gy/2oVxC52 for repair options. 

Thank you. 

Moderator comment: Links above expanded for transparency.

- https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/1714172?Source=social_eservices&Medium=LIT...

- https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-1xx-3xx-5xx-7xx/Ideapad-520-awful-fan-noise/m-p/4190833/...

- https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/supportphonelist?Source=social_eservices&Medium=LITHIUM&Term=eSer...

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

redmike58
Punch Card
Views: 9,393
Message 3 of 20

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and I have implimented the instructions you have given in the link re the Power Options choice. I will monitor it from here and see how the fan responds. 

Cheers 

redmike58
Punch Card
Views: 9,352
Message 4 of 20

Hi,

As per advice. I reset the power options and the laptop fan is even worse. Tried on 3 browsers and it is 'blasting' at full tilt for long periods then at constant low running for shorter periods.

Manages to actually 'turn off' for about 10 seconds if I am lucky. 

Will look to report for repair but annoyed, as this has been like this since brand new 'out of the box' just over three weeks ago.

Cheers

Mike

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 9,345
Message 5 of 20

We understand your sentiment and we appreciate your efforts. To avoid further damage, we suggest to contact our phone support here for repair options. This way, they could further diagnose what's causing the fan to behave like this. Hope everything will turn out great.

Regards,

Moderator note: full URL of shortened link above:  https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/uu/en/supportphonelist

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

redmike58
Punch Card
Views: 9,337
Message 6 of 20

Thanks for quick reply. I will continue to try and solve this problem.

Regards
redmike58
Punch Card
Views: 9,284
Message 7 of 20

Hi,

For your information, I have sort of worked it out. I now have a 'very' low running fan/off more than on, and no 'flare-ups' in fan speed. The settings/adjustments are some I read of/some I worked at so please be aware this seems to be working on this laptop (Ideapad 330s)

1. Power Options: In Balanced; Processor Power Management: Minimum Processor State (Plugged in) changed to 99% from 5%

Maximum Processor State (Battery/Plugged in) to 99% from 100%

** (This alone did not stop the fans continually running)

2. Settings: Accounts: Sync Your Settings.  I disabled this (This is maybe optional for you)

3. Disabled CTF (ctfmon.exe) in Windows Services: Disable 'Touch Keyboard & Handwriting Panel Service. *Disable and Stop.

I noted that CTF appeard to constantly run in task Manager. On checking, I understand it uses 'Language & Alternative Inputs for      Microsoft Office'. I do not use or have MS Office downloaded so I took the option to disable it.

4. I had Avast Internet Security (Paid version). I noted in Task Manager that this continually used several processes. I tried 'disabling' Behaviour Shield and others and Avast had an 'issy fit' at me, reminding me I would die and go to hell if I disabled any of it's services. After much deliberation I uninstalled Avast (still have my licenses) and installed Bitdefender Free. It occasionally goes into 'check' mode (which is normal for any AV) but nothing as 'heavy' as Avast. *Again. Please use your own choice of AV.

5. I am a Chrome user but decide to try Opera. Has been easy to use and intergrate my bookmarks etc into and seems 'lighter' at Chrome at present. Again, my choice.

In writing the above 'diatribe' on this site, my laptop had been totally silent (compared to a Hurricane on all other occasions). In fact, my laptop fan has been silent I would say, 95% today and has only reared it's ugly head when doing it's intended job. 

I am happy at the moment and hope this advice can help somone with similar problems. 

** Please note, I am NOT a technician - just a geek at home who likes silent browsing so please undertake caution if changing any of your settings and always back-up/set a restore point if undertaking major changes.

Regards

redmike58

bsaul
Paper Tape
Views: 8,986
Message 8 of 20

Thank you! Much improved and will now keep it!
leo4378
Paper Tape
Views: 3,859
Message 9 of 20

Hello, sorry for bringinf up this thread but i just opened my IdeaPad 330s-14IKB and I have the same extact problem: i have tried all the things written on this thread but the noise is still there and almost all the time, for no reason. Any other advice for you guys or words from Lenovo? 

redmike58
Punch Card
Views: 3,848
Message 10 of 20

Hi, I posted the upper comments and sadly my laptop returned to 'blast' mode shortly afterwards.
I have spoken to a tech guy I know and he says that as processors have gained efficient speeds (from start), the CPU heats up quicker thus the fan kicks in at high speed to counteract this quick rise in speed/heat. There is NO fix I am afraid. It is not just confined to Lenovo as my fiend's MacBook has the same problem.
As laptops get thinner, there is less space inside for the air to circulate and heat to disperse, hence the loud constant fan noise/operation to compensate for this.
Sorry I am unable to be of more help.
Mike

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors