cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leo4378
Paper Tape
Views: 605
Message 11 of 20

Re: Lenovo 330s Ideapad - Constantly running fan low and high speeds.

Thank you very much Mike. Would you return the notebook if you could now?
I mean, I am just sad that we still don't have a response frm Lenovo or a way to lower the terrible noise in any way...

I was thinking, what about undervolting the pc? would it be of any help? Or even applying thermal paste on the cpu?

Hope we can find something else to do (safely) at this point

Leo

redmike58
Punch Card
Views: 593
Message 12 of 20

Hi Leo, I found this is you are interested in undervolting your laptop.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/Lenovo-Y520-15IKBN-80WK-Undervolting/td-p/4310036

This is a link about Thermal Paste:

https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/lenovo-thermal-paste-quality.341111/

It still annoys me a little that Lenovo have never really entered into a discussion properly in addressing this common issue.

In answer to your question, yes, I would take my laptop back to the point of purchase and look to get my money back.

However, the problem with fans and laptops follows most brands (my Acer had similar problems a while back) and as I mentioned, my friend's MacBook did acted exactly the same.

I have to confess I now use an iPad as my main unit. No fans. Bliss!  lol. 

There are laptops about (Chromebooks I think, but not 100% sure) which have no fans. 

Yes, Lenovo laptops are a decent machine but still has it's faults.

As I have said, I am not a technician, just an enthusiastic amateur. I hope you manage to solve your issue.

Regards

Mike

leo4378
Paper Tape
Views: 586
Message 13 of 20

Thank you for your reply and useful links...Do you think that one of the two things could help the fan problem?

Yes I am annoyed too, even more since I just got the notebook yesterday lol And that my 5 years old nothebook has fans and I almost never heard them.
redmike58
Punch Card
Views: 575
Message 14 of 20

Hello Leo. 

Here is my really honest opinion. I base this on my experience alone. I would return it and get a diferent make of Laptop.

1. My Laptop (like yours) had my fans going full throttle 'straight out of the box', brand new from day one.

2. Lenovo don't really seem that interested in soving the problem. I contacted their advice desk a couple of times with no help.

3. Your laptop will NOT get any better - indeed it will get worse.

4. I just got fed up with tinkering with all sorts of fixes - which only made temporary differences.

5. My laptop is now 5 months old and fan noise has never really decreased (slightly for the changes I did) but came back.

6. I have an 8 yo HP laptop - cannot hear the fans at all. Just so slow now, lol!

7. And NO. You should not have to be 'opening up' a brand new laptop to apply paste/clear dust. That rings an alarm bell from day 1!!!

* BIOS updates do not help either. 

Quite simply, I would take it back. Lenovo don't appear to have the answer to this problem.

I now use an iPad Pro. Yes, very expensive, but does exactly what I want it to do and no fan/noise in any way. I can now concentrate on my work (I work from home on my iPad), instead of concentrating on the fan noise all the time (which was a big distraction).

Good luck with your search.

Mike

leo4378
Paper Tape
Views: 550
Message 15 of 20

Thank you Mike for the help, you helped more than Lenovo for sure lol (and also probably goodbye lenovo for few years)

I would love to buy an iPad too haha, but sadly I have to stay in a 550€ range and in Italy this notebook was the best they could offer, so the search will be pretty hard now

redmike58
Punch Card
Views: 545
Message 16 of 20

Hi Leo.

I am just sorry that Lenovo was not able to sort your (our) problem out. It is not just confined to Lenovo though as many other makes suffer the same problem I find.

I wasn't gloating when I mentioned I now use an iPad. Yes, it was expensive, but occurred at the right time I received a tax rebate here otherwise I would still be using the Lenove or my 8 year old (dying) HP!

I went for the iPad out of sheer frustration at having to listen to fan noise constantly whilst trying to work. 

I found this for you. It is American based but should give you an idea about fanless laptops currently available and allow you to research them some more to suit your budget. 

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/6520-fanless-ultrabooks/

Thanks for the compliment

Good luck in your search

leo4378
Paper Tape
Views: 539
Message 17 of 20

That's awesome, thank you Smiley Happy
HowdyYall
What's DOS?
Views: 234
Message 18 of 20

I have the same issue. Received brand new "out of the box" Lenovo ideapad 330 on 03-02-2019. The fan started going crazy yesterday while not in use! I stared at it and wondered what the heck it was doing. I checked all of the back ground processes and disabled a few safe ones; fan was still rocking fast and slow. So, of course I Googled the issue and found this forum. 

I changed the power options and now the fan is just always on delivering a moderately loud, constant humming. The fan noise was not an issue until just yesterday. I have not increased use, added software; basically have not changed a thing. 

I believe the changes to the power options have modified the fans behavior. However, the fan seems to have a mind of its own. Must be a Lenovo thing. Luckily I purchased a warranty from the retailer. We will see!!  Best of luck to everyone with the same issue.

fabianhache
What's DOS?
Views: 55
Message 19 of 20

Sorry. This actually doesn't make any sense. The fan is triggered due to the high temperature of the processor. If you set it up to 99% or 100% you will be helping the processor to overheat even further. What you should do, in order to lower the temperature of the processor and therefore the time the fan is active, is:

1. Select Power Options.
  2. Go to Change advanced power settings.
  3. Find Processor power management and open the menu for Minimum processor state 
  4. Change the setting for on-battery to 5%.
  5. Change the setting for plugged in, to 80 %. (or so) 
  6. Open the menu for Maximum processor state
  7. Change the setting for on-battery to 5%.
  8. Change the setting for plugged in, to 80%. (or so)

You'll notice that after performing this action, the fan will stay at low speed or will stay turned off for most of the time.  

redmike58
Punch Card
Views: 39
Message 20 of 20

Hello, I have also tried that - pulling down the 'max' to 80%, 75% then 50%. It DOES affect performance of your laptop. The result was the fan ran constantly (albeit at low level) but still ran, but the 'trade off' is a slower overall performance.

In the end, I decided high performance was better with the fan noise.

I would like to say your 'fix' sorts the problem - but it does not, sadly - unless slow performance does not bother you.

There is no ultimate fix to the fan issue with this Lenovo model for me.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors