Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Bee5
Paper Tape
Views: 203
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo 520S cannot turn on after BIOS update

Lenovo Vantage had been prompting to update BIOS (was listed as a critical update).

Power was at 100% and charging when I updated BIOS (with 7 other optional updates suggested in Lenovo Vantage) and just left the computer to do its business .

Returned around 3hrs later to a computer shutdown and an unresponsive power button .Tried the following:

1. Hold power button for 10s. 

2. Press Novo button

Could not turn on the laptop at all (no lights on power button , no sound of hard disk spinning,  no charging lights when plugged in to wall charging ). No signs of life at all. 

Googled and found that it might be due to flea power . Tried to remove the battery but it was so tightly stuffed into the socket I was afriad the cables might break so I didn't manage to remove the battery .

Warranty over , am out of my witz . Any suggestions are welcomed , thank you. 

Bill115
802.11n
Views: 178
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo 520S cannot turn on after BIOS update

If you are not confident about unplugging the cables for the main lithium battery and CMOS coin battery from the motherboard, then I'm afraid your only remaining option is to take the laptop to a competent PC repair shop or to a Lenovo service centre for initial diagnostics.

Unfortunately, BIOS updates always carry a small risk of damage.  Worst case scenario is a replacement motherboard would be required at great expense if unplugging the batteries fails to resolve the issue.

(I don't work for Lenovo)

Bee5
Paper Tape
Views: 168
Message 3 of 6

I did sent to a service center today and paid a small fee for diagnostics... the person said there's a 70% chance that the motherboard is faulty. 

No choice but just curious,  why would a critical BIOS update cause damage to the motherboard?  The update should be to patch any vulnerabilities so it seems a little puzzling that such patches might cause hardware damages... 

Benji96
Bit Torrent
Views: 155
Message 4 of 6

BIOS updates always run the risk of bricking your hardware, that is why they are only recommended when you are actually encountering BIOS-related issues, but not when there aren't any. They typically increase neither performance nor stability. They typically fix security issues or built-in errors that come from maybe pushing the device out too soon, but other than that there is no use for updating the BIOS, really.

Did I/anybody else help you? Give a Kudo!
Did a post solve your problem? Set the post as solution!

Lenovo Yoga 530-14ARR (81H9003VGE)
Bee5
Paper Tape
Views: 128
Message 5 of 6

But well I wasn't facing any problems with the computer but the BIOS update was listed as 'critical'... Accepting the system reccomended updates seems reasonable for a normal consumer without much tech knowledge. Does this mean that the BIOS update wasn't as critical as the system makes out to be?? And that I shouldn't have updated the system? It's all really counter intuitive and confusing for a layman.

Benji96
Bit Torrent
Views: 124
Message 6 of 6

The BIOS is the lowest-level component of the system that can be updated so it is listed as critical. Well, you could turn off the updates for that, Windows will still provide you with driver updates once they roll out. But in my general experience a BIOS update is barely worth it at all.

Did I/anybody else help you? Give a Kudo!
Did a post solve your problem? Set the post as solution!

Lenovo Yoga 530-14ARR (81H9003VGE)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors