Did you mean: 
Lepakon
Paper Tape
Views: 204
Message 1 of 4

Lenovo 700-17ISK and freezing Windows 7 x64 SP1

Hello all,

Problem:

Around every fortnight (or more) the Windows unexpectedly freezes with a random graphic being displayed (the computer never unfreezes, so a forced restart with a power button is needed).

2 cards:

- Intel HD Graphics 530 (driver: 10.18.15.4281)

- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M (driver: 21.21.13.7674)

Troubleshooting:

I tested both cards together/separately in FurMark, after CPU, RAM, SSD tests. I even tried to run Firefox using Integrated and NVIDIA graphics, opening many videos etc. No matter how much I stress I am not able to reproduce an error on demand.
The error is not related to laptop/GPU temperature nor how much time the computer is running. I think every time the problem occured was with Firefox and YouTube running (I also tried with FF settings, but it doesn't seem to help).

One time there was the Blue Screen of Death, so it seemed to me like a driver error. I cleaned all drivers in Safe Mode with 'Display Driver Uninstaller', installed the versions from Lenovo website (I had the same/newer probably) and it did not help. After BSOD I try with Windows 'verifier' for gfx/sound drivers but it doesn't to any error/BSOD occurence...

I updated system/drivers/BIOS soon after computer purchase, the problems started maybe one month later. I had a problem with a driver for sound, so I managed to install something from Realtek (the Lenovo support driver didn't seem to work, I could hear the buzzing though my earphones are suitable), I think that's not the problem.

Photos:

BSOD (only happened once)

Random freeze #1

Random freeze #2

Also, an additional video of freeze animation

(I had it 2 times among other errors, very strange):

https://youtu.be/2NuifaQvK8k

Any ideas?

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 183
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo 700-17ISK and freezing Windows 7 x64 SP1

@Lepakon wrote:

Around every fortnight (or more) the Windows unexpectedly freezes with a random graphic being displayed (the computer never unfreezes, so a forced restart with a power button is needed).

The thread title indicates that you are running Windows 7 SP1.  There have been numerous updates since SP1.  Have you installed these?

Some time ago (2015 or 2016), Microsoft changed the programming interface to the Update service, with the result that Windows 7 never finds any updates.  You need manually to download the relevant KB fixes and install them.  This will then allow Windows 7 Update to find all of the other fixes.  If you google for this, you will find various descriptions of what to do, with sometimes inconsistent instructions.  This is what I did for Windows 7 on my 700-15ISK (starting from SP1):

Download and install these fixes (in the following order):

(1) KB3020369
(2) KB3125574
(3) KB3172605
(4) KB3205402

Number (4) is a composite KB fix that consists of four other KB fixes. On my system, only two of them were applicable (KB3210131 and KB 3210139). That might be the same for your system, or you might need all of them, or a different subset.

Other users who have installed these fixes have reported very long installation times (hours!). My system has an SSD, and in total the above fixes took only 11 minutes to install. (KB3125574 took 9 minutes; the others each took less than one minute.) You can get the fixes by typing in the KB numbers (one at a time!) on this page:

Microsoft Update Catalog
http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx

Once you have installed those fixes, you should run Windows Update in the normal way, and it will then find a multitude of other updates to download and install, but this time the updates should succeed.

There is one caveat: within the last few days there have been reports of Windows 7 Update not working again; see this thread:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-7-Vista-and-XP/Alert-Windows-Update-is-broken-for-some-Windows-...

So you might need to wait for a few days for this problem to be fixed before trying the update process described above.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Highlighted
Lepakon
Paper Tape
Views: 174
Message 3 of 4

Yes, in the very beginning I had a problem with running Windows Update, though I found out the solution and installed tons of updates. The problems started around 1 month later, so the system was mostly up-to-date I think. I reinstalled the graphics drivers because I thought that 'too new' versions can be the reason - now I'm using the recommended Lenovo drvs and it's still the same.

I also have an SSD drive, the general system performance is simply wonderful. But sometimes I got this nasty problem, so I am wondering if anybody has ever encountered this as well Smiley Sad

Right now my Windows Update works fine, but there are no relevant patches I could install. I received a message from Support to disable WU, gonna check it out.

PS I though it could be a virus, I defend my computer with Kaspersky IS, also tried many other tools for Malware etc., no results.

Thank you for your hints.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 167
Message 4 of 4

I have not encountered problems similar to yours.  It looks like a problem with the graphics driver, but that is only a guess.

It might be worth looking at the Windows Event Log to see if that gives any clue, but you will need the date and time of one of these events, as the event log fills up very quickly with numerous informational and warning events.

Otherwise, I can only suggest trying different versions of the graphics drivers.  If you try enough, you may eventually find one that works correctly.  Sorry that I cannot be of more help.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors