cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bdubs3
Paper Tape
Views: 253
Message 1 of 4

Lenovo Flex 4 - 1470 suddenly can't run basic games, graphics benchmark, shuts itself off

I've noticed for some time that my relatively new ~1 year Lenovo Flex 4 yoga, which has switchable graphics, has been running slower.  For instance, VLC has been unable to run certain movies, and running gameshow to record my powerpoint talks now leads to freezing and inability to save movies.  I finally found some free time to try a very basic 3D game (broforce, the overworld, 2 seconds into the game), and then my computer instantly slowed and shut itself off.  I downloaded the Heaven Benchmark 4.0 and the same issue occured, it barely rendered graphics and then froze.  I have all of the latest drivers and updates installed via a clean install.  

Put simply, my computer is now completely unable to perform the most basic tasks that seem to be gpu related without slowing to a crawl and shutting itself off.  This includes very old games, new games, benchmarks, and even python rendering medium to large images.  

Please please advise some tests I can do to see if this is a software issue.  I work a very very very hard job and this computer is my lifeline, and I need it not to have this issue.

bdubs3
Paper Tape
Views: 248
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo Flex 4 - 1470 suddenly can't run basic games, graphics benchmark, shuts itself off

I see that the AMD driver is indeed being used for broforce and for the horizon test, and that the GPU usage shoots to 100% and the gpu gets to over 100C instantly (within 5 seconds).  

Hardware or software issue, thoughts?

bdubs3
Paper Tape
Views: 246
Message 3 of 4

Re: Lenovo Flex 4 - 1470 suddenly can't run basic games, graphics benchmark, shuts itself off

Here is my sensor log for the first 10 seconds of the test, you can see the ramp up.

bdubs3
Paper Tape
Views: 236
Message 4 of 4

Also only occurs when plugged in and running on power.  Does not occur when running on battery.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors