Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RKhemka
Paper Tape
Views: 1,702
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo Flex 5 (14") Laptop - Display

Hi All, Need some help regarding my flex 5 laptop. Got it 3 days from a deal from a retailer, laptop has everything I want except the display. The colors of the display are very much faded/washed out even on 100% brightness. faint blue looks gray, blue looks like teal. Quite annoying. I compared the screens with my old laptop ( T410) and there is a big difference in the colors. Is it due to the hardware or because of some windows/lenovo settings? Below are some of the details of the PC: Flex 5-1470 (Type 81C9) Laptop (Lenovo) Machine Model : 81C9000EUS 2GB NVIDIA GeForce 940MX Graphics Intel® Core™ i5-8250U Processor 14" Touchscreen LED-backlit IPS FHD (1920 x 1080) Display Any help will be appreciated.
rccryan
Punch Card
Views: 1,648
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo Flex 5 (14") Laptop - Display

Hi RKhemka, 

I picked up this exact model (81C9000EUS) for my daughter at Costco a few weeks ago and we have noticed no problems with it at all (knock on wood). Anyway, some suggestions I can make:

• Try calibrating the colors using the Windows 10 built in function (open Settings and search for "Calibrate display color")
  • Update the drivers for both the NVIDIA and Intel graphics chips (and then calibrate colors again if needed).

BTW, have you come across the detailed specifications sheet for this particular model? The closest I can find is for a similarly spec'd version here. However, even that doesn't show details like who makes the display or what size the M.2 SSD card is inside (which is what I'm trying to figure out).

Best,

Ryan

RKhemka
Paper Tape
Views: 1,632
Message 3 of 5

Dear rccryan,

Thanks for the update. So atleast this model isnt bad. I checked with Lenovo support and they have asked to get the screen replace via Best Buy or send the laptop to them ( covered under warranty) . I will return this laptop and order a new one, as I dont want to keep a product which is defective from the get go. I had already tried the calibration and other setting changes but to no help. Also when I observe closely, the pictures arent 100% clear, which is something someone said on their review on Lenovo website as well. I really like this laptop as it fulfills all my requirements, lets see if the next one is a good product.

As for the details, I didnt look for one as I was busy sorting this problem.  Will try to find it.

Thanks again for your help.

RK

RKhemka
Paper Tape
Views: 1,612
Message 4 of 5

I tried updating all the drivers but still the faded colors issue remains. I will be returning this one.

rccryan
Punch Card
Views: 1,603
Message 5 of 5

I'm sorry it didn't help; better luck with the next one!

Regarding my hardware question, I couldn't find an answer online or via Windows* for the SSD, so I finally just took the bottom cover off and saw that it contained the following Samsung 256GB PCIe NVMe: 

Model: PM961

P/N: MZVLW256HEHP

This is an 80mm (2280) M.2 form factor SSD.

Anyway, if you come across a full specs description for this specific model of Flex 5-1470 (81C9000EUS), please let me know.

Sincerely,

Ryan 

* In case anyone is curious, Windows 10 "System Information" listed the SSD as "NVMe SAMSUNG MZVLW256, but that isn't enough to find specs or support (in fact, searching for just MXVLW256 at samsung.com/us redirects to the 950 EVO Pro MZV5P256, which is the wrong drive completely). Windows Device Manager specified it as MZVLW256CXB7, but I couldn't find any information on that online anywhere (I think it doesn't exist). Only after opening it up did I get the correct model (above) and then find its specs on an Internet search; apparently since it is an OEM part, it doesn't show up on the main Samsung product or support website, but only appears here under their Semiconductor division website: 

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/ssd/client-ssd/MZVLW256HEHP/

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors