Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Battle4cry
Paper Tape
Views: 4,913
Message 1 of 33

Lenovo Flex 5 1470 black screen flickering

My ~2 week old Lenovo Flex 5's screen started to flicker a few days ago and the issue has become progressively worse since then to a point where most of the screen is covered by black flickering at times. The computer starts fine, but when the computer is moved and especially when the screen is moved up or down the flickering appears. Sometimes the flickering only starts after the computer has been on for a few hours (restarting the PC fixes the issue for a short while).

I have tried updating to the latest Intel graphics drivers in the device manager to no avail. I then tried uninstalling the display drivers from the device manager, that only seemed to work for a short while.

Is this a faulty screen that should be RMA'd immediately or is it likely a software-related issue?

atexit8
Punch Card
Views: 4,834
Message 2 of 33

Re: Lenovo Flex 5 1470 black screen flickering

Why would you want to RMA?

Return and a get a full refund!

If I am paying good money for a brand new laptop, I expect it to work.

I am not Lenovo employee testing a laptop.

Battle4cry
Paper Tape
Views: 4,792
Message 3 of 33

I have attached a picture of the issue to this post.

I should have clarified, by RMA I meant an exchange for an identical product from the retailer. My aversion to this idea stems from the long turnaround time and then having to setup and reinstall all my applications on the new laptop again, which will take over 2 weeks at a minimum which is a long time for me to be without a laptop. I was hoping there was an easier solution but I could not find the ribbon cable for the screen when I opened the laptop to see if it was loose, so I will have to return it for an exchange.

This would be the second time I have had to exchange the same laptop, and if the third unit I recieve does not work this will be the last Lenovo product I ever purchase.

For anyone else having similar issues with the Lenovo Flex 5 series, I have tried updating the laptop firmware, uninstalling and re-installing video drivers in safe mode, and opened up the laptop to see if there was a loose ribbon cable (there was none whatsoever). All of these failed to resolve the issue, indicating the problem lies in defective hardware. My advice to any prospective buyers would be to stay away from the FLEX 5 series notebooks; save yourself the trouble and get a Dell XPS 13 or ASUS Zenbook instead.

atexit8
Punch Card
Views: 4,784
Message 4 of 33

@Battle4cry wrote:

My advice to any prospective buyers would be to stay away from the FLEX 5 series notebooks; save yourself the trouble and get a Dell XPS 13 or ASUS Zenbook instead.

You should visit the Dell forums sometime and see the problems the XPS13 owners are having after the latest Win10 update. Smiley LOL

The grass is not greener elsewhere.

iusamaymb
What's DOS?
Views: 4,431
Message 5 of 33

I have the exact same problem. My issue occurs mostly when i just turn the laptop on but once i start using it its fine. It does flicker when i move the screen and overtime its gotten worse when i first pull open the laptop. Unfortunately i bought it from the MSFT store so i cant really exchange it as far as i know since its out of stock. 

Can Lenovo do anything about this? 

soggyfrog
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,386
Message 6 of 33

I am also having this issue where black flickering will cover all or most of the screen. This problem has appeared in the last week and I bought this laptop new 3 weeks ago. The flickering usually appears in Chrome or Microsoft Office apps, but also during shutdown, and will sometimes go away if I reduce the window from full screen or open the task manager. It will happen even if I only have a single tab / few applications open. Although I've noticed sometimes the peak CPU temperature will be quite high (over 80C) following one of these incidents, I can't check the temperatures while the screen is flickering and cannot always replicate the temperature jump. However, I don't notice the fan starting up when the screen is flickering.

I will try cleaning out the vents with compressed air, however I don't understand why this problem has already appeared since I have only been using the PC for less than a month. The system is up to date according to the Lenovo Vantage app (I cannot install Intel graphics drivers).

Battle4cry
Paper Tape
Views: 4,363
Message 7 of 33

It is very disconcerting to see more people suffering from this issue with relatively new laptops. I exchanged mine for a model with an Nvidia 940MX GPU and have been running it just fine for the past 3 weeks with no screen-related issues and flickering. But I doubt the solution was as simple as getting a model with a discrete GPU as most applications including the desktop run off the Intel integrated GPU.

If not a faulty display or digitizer, it might be poor cable routing or a tight crevice (small hinges) placing too much pressure on the cable connecting the monitor to the motherboard. This would explain why the laptops work fine initially but only start to develop the screen flickering a few weeks after their initial use (after the screen has been opened and closed many times and had a chance to pull or push the cable out of place). For those having similar issues, try opening your laptop to check and see if the cable connecting the monitor to the motherboard is not loose or that there is no internal component, etc. exerting too much pressure on it.

For reference, the exact model number of the laptop I had with screen-related issues was: FLEX 5 1470 81C9000DUS.

The exact model number of my current laptop that has (so far) not had any screen issues is: FLEX 5 1470 81C9000EUS.

iusamaymb
What's DOS?
Views: 4,358
Message 8 of 33

My laptop is also just a month old. 

Can we seriously contact Lenovo to exchange these faulty laptops? 

I need to write notes for university on this laptop which is the reason I bought it and it's impossible since it goes haywire when I turn the screen

soggyfrog
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,328
Message 9 of 33

My model with screen issues as described above is 81C9000CUS

Amelia_S
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,297
Message 10 of 33

Same issue with my laptop: 80XA000VUS. It has GeForce940MX.

Flickering was just intermittent when i got it, now its almost constant and making the laptop almost unusable.

Bought it from B&HPhoto online. Very disappointed in this purchase, considering I previously used my last Lenovo laptop since 2010 without any issues (besides it being slow, but for a 7-8 year old laptop that is understandable). Thinking of taking this in to a Lenovo authorized repair center for evaluation because it is still under warranty.

Top Kudoed Authors