Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Ed2018
What's DOS?
Views: 1,168
Message 1 of 4

Lenovo Flex 5 15 - Fan too noisy and very slow browsing capability

I can hear sounds coming from the machine every time I start turning on my Lenovo Flex 5 15.

This distracted me a lot as the sound becomes too noisy and turns on and off. Most of the time, the noises stay permanently.  I thought  it may be the fan or I really don’t know.  I bought this Lenovo laptop last March 16, 2018 and I’m hoping that this problem will be resolved.  Please help . . .

Secondly, browsing the web is really slow as I’m always getting a message that says ‘Waiting for a response”.   But this waiting period usually take an average of more than 5 minutes.  Sometimes waiting for response from this computer is like forever for me, and I’m waiting too long and getting unproductive at all because of this.

Thirdly, the screen turns dark blue all the time no matter how many times I adjusted the color or lighting display settings.  Is there a way to save the previous setting I made so that I need not to adjust the display setting every time I turn on or boot this unit?

I have never experienced issues like these with my other laptop which is still working more efficiently than this new Lenovo unit.  I bought this Lenovo computer because I thought it is faster and will work more efficient with 16 RAM, 2.9 ghz and 1 TB data storage capacity. However, it apparently not meeting my expectations.

onpoint
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,092
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo Flex 5 15 - Fan too noisy and very slow browsing capability

I moved the paging file from the C: drive to the Data drive ( E: ) just a few minutes ago using the instructions from the following webpage:   https://www.tecklyfe.com/how-to-fix-windows-10-slow/  .    After a reboot the fan seems to be running a lot less and machine seems a bit snappier.  Too soon to tell if I will now be happy with the experience.   Worth a try, seems helpful.

onpoint
Fanfold Paper
Views: 935
Message 3 of 4

Turns out that the version I bought from Costco had a problem either with drivers or the way windows was installed.   I tried numerous drivers and other solutions to the slowness and frequent fan speed (machine was painfully slow - i7 with 256gb SSD & 1 tb HD).

Finally, as a last thing to try, I downloaded Win10 to a memory stick from the microsoft website to install.  Installed vanilla Win10 as a "from scratch"/new install.   Windows remembered/recognized the machine and product key therefore was not required.   I had to open Device Manager afterwards and right click on a few devices and select "update driver from web" due to no drivers for those devices.

Now it is a very very fast machine and fan only runs occassionally.

Why/how Lenovo could release such a poorly setup machine is by me.   Spent hours and hours trying to figure this out.  If you have same kind of problem and are willing to reinstall all of your apps (not much choice if you want to speed up your machine) - I suggest trying the full re-install of windows route with the latest Win10.  Worked for me.

By the way, Lenovo, you owe me consulting fees and about 40 hours of my time.   You can send payment to Paypal at the email address for this post Smiley Happy.   About $4k should do it or a couple of nice laptops.   That's what you cost me, only fair.  

DapperDoor
What's DOS?
Views: 154
Message 4 of 4

Ill post as someone who purchased the IdeaPad flex 5 in 2019 from Costco, that the above guy's statement worked for me. I also had issues where the fan just sporadically went beserk if i just opened a chrome browser. I did a fresh reinstall of windows 10 (also enabled quiet mode in bios) and its now quiet as a mouse! Been using it for programming all day and i havent heard the fan once! So yeah, theres something with the way Costco/Lenovo setup the labtop that is just not well done. A fresh reinstall worked for me

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors