Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SlowerPhoton
Paper Tape
Views: 9,536
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo IdeaPad 510 15 (80SV00RBCK) DUAL BOOT

Hi,

I cannot figure out how to boot from my usb stick. I own a Lenovo IdeaPad 510 15 (80SV00RBCK) laptop with (preinstalled) Windows 10 Home.

I've created a usb stick with ubuntu via rufus according to a guide. I think that the usb stick works fine (I can access it anytime when on windows and moreover it is completely new).

In my BIOS settings I disabled Fast Boot, enabled USB Boot and disabled Secure Boot. (Boot mode is UEFI.) However the only options to boot are:

• Windows Boot Manager

• EPI PXE Network (which boots Windows 10 anyways)

What am I doing wrong?

this is my BIOS settings

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 9,530
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad 510 15 (80SV00RBCK) DUAL BOOT

@SlowerPhoton wrote:

In my BIOS settings I disabled Fast Boot, enabled USB Boot and disabled Secure Boot. (Boot mode is UEFI.) 

You have set the correct options in the BIOS, but you need to boot using the "Novo" button:

(1) Power off the system.

(2) Plug in the USB memory stick.

(3) Press the "Novo" button.  On recent systems, you use the end of a paper clip inserted into the correct hole in the side of the laptop.  Consult your "Hardware Maintenance Manual" if it is not obvious which is the correct hole. The HMM can be downloaded from the support page for your laptop.

(4) On the "Novo Button Menu", select "Boot Menu".

(5) On the "Boot Menu", the USB memory stick should be listed.  Select that and start booting...

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

SlowerPhoton
Paper Tape
Views: 9,516
Message 3 of 7

Thank you, but it is not listed in there. (Yes, the stick is inserted.)

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 9,530
Message 4 of 7

@SlowerPhoton wrote:

Thank you, but it is not listed in there. (Yes, my stick is inserted.)

If you were installing a Windows 10 ISO image downloaded from Microsoft and installed on the USB memory stick, the install image would contain the files for a UEFI install and those for a legacy (MBR) install.  So it would install whatever boot mode the laptop was set to.

If you were installing the Lenovo pre-load from the "Windows Recovery USB Drive" (created from "Settings" in Windows 10), it might contain only the files for a UEFI install, so trying to install in legacy mode might fail.

Since you are trying to install Linux, I think that the problem is that the USB memory stick does not contain the files for a UEFI install.  So you need to create the USB memory stick so that it does contain the files for a UEFI install.  I have never tried using Linux on my Lenovo laptop, so I cannot advise you how to create the memory stick correctly.

You cannot mix UEFI and legacy boot modes on the same disk, so if you want to retain your existing Windows 10 installation, you must install Linux in UEFI mode.  An alternative would be to scrap your existing Windows 10 installation, convert the disk from GPT to MBR, and then re-install Windows 10 from the Microsoft ISO (which does contain the files necessary for a legacy boot), and then install Linux using your existing memory stick.

J4SE
What's DOS?
Views: 8,782
Message 5 of 7

Hi SlowerPhoton,

Did you get your system working? I have the exact same issue and I'm completely stuck as to how I can get my machine to boot from USB so I can dual boot it.

Cheers

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 8,763
Message 6 of 7

@J4SE wrote:

I have the exact same issue and I'm completely stuck as to how I can get my machine to bootfrom USB so I can dual boot it.

First things first:

(1) Power off your laptop.

(2) Plug in the USB memory stick that you want to boot.

(3) Press the "Novo" button. 

This is a button that is concealed beneath the laptop's casing.  You press it by inserting the end of a straightened paper clip (or similar) into the correct hole in the casing.  Be sure to keep the paper clip "straight on" when you insert it.  If it is skew, it may miss the "Novo" button and strike something else inside the laptop.

If you don't know where the hole for the "Novo" button is, look in your "User Guide" or "Hardware Maintenance Manual" for your laptop.  Both can be downloaded from this web site (scroll to the bottom of this page and click "Manuals" in the "Support" column, and then type in your model number).

(4) After pressing the "Novo" button, the "Novo Button Menu" is displayed.  Use the UP and DOWN keys on the keyboard to move the highlighted item to "BIOS Boot Menu" and press the ENTER or RETURN key.

(5) The "BIOS Boot Menu" should now be displayed, listing the devices that the laptop will allow you to boot.  Is your USB memory stick present in the list?  It may occur in the list:

(a) zero times (i.e. it is missing),

(b) one time, or

(c) two times (with slightly-different identification strings).

Once you have answered this question, we can decide what to do next.

Nakshatrikaa
What's DOS?
Views: 8,634
Message 7 of 7

Bro, same problem here. I did exactly what you said. Couldn't find the usb option.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors