Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Clunet
Paper Tape
Views: 339
Message 1 of 4

Lenovo IdeaPad 510-15IKB No Power Indicator, won't Power On

Hi, I have a Lenovo IdeaPad 510-15IKB that has developed some issues.  I took it apart to replace a faulty fan module, and put it back together and started having issues with video to the display not working.  Took it apart again to reseat all cables and look at the display cable and its connection to the mainboard.  All looked fine... and the notebook started fine and I had the display working again.  Then after a power recycle lost the display again, so took the notebook apart again, and found that if I removed the main power to the mainboard and reconnected it I could get the display to come back, but only until I recycled the power to the computer again, then it was gone.  Decided to just live with the notebook display not working and just use an external display via the HDMI connector, which worked fine for a few days... then the notebook just shut off.  Now it will not power back up... the AC adapter is good, verified via multimeter, I have tired to power up the notebook with the battery disconnected, no-go, with it connected, no-go, I do not get a charge or power indicator at all anymore.  I think the notebook should power up with the internal battery disconnected, yes?  It does not.  I looked in the Lenovo maintenance manual, and these symptoms point to a bad mainboard.  I can't believe that it could be bad on such a new notebook.  The fan going bad after less than a year I can live with, but loosing the mainboard is disappointing if that's the case here.  I have two other Lenovo notebooks and have been very pleased with them, this could kill my respect for this brand.  Am I missing something?  Thanks, Tim 

Clunet
Paper Tape
Views: 269
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad 510-15IKB No Power Indicator, won't Power On

So, over a month and no repies from Lenovo on this issue... I have looked around for a replacement motherboard and the cheapest reburbished one I can find is $350 plus shipping off of eBay...   this laptop just went out of warranty before this problem happened.  I paid $730 for this laptop off Newegg.  If Lenovo is not going to step up anmd help me with this then this will be the last Lenovo product I ever buy from you.  I buy computers all the time, I have 15+ in my home and advice family and friends on brands of computers before they purchase.  I have been buying latops since the mid 1990s and this is the 1st I have had that has failed like this.

Good bye Lenovo.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 258
Message 3 of 4

Hi Clunet,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

We definitely know how important it is to have a working computer. Issues may happen at any point of time. It may happen out of the box, a week after, a month, a year, some lasts for over 5 years and even 10 years. It is primarily based on how it was used and its environmental conditions (temperature, usage, etc). Each of our units sold in the market are individually tested and evaluated for optimum performance and durability.

Regarding this issue we recommend that you bring the unit to a service center for repair. Alternatively, you can purchase the replacement motherboard and you can replace the part just follow the steps on how to disassemble the unit using Hardware Maintenance Manual.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Highlighted
Clunet
Paper Tape
Views: 256
Message 4 of 4

I would love to replace the motherboard, but at a cost of $350+ for a refurbished board that is rediculous... This laptop obviously has some design issues based on all the other problems others have had... I should not have had to replace the fan at the 9 month point...  but I was OK with that cost, and the trouble of doing the work, but a $350-400 motherboard on a laptop that only cost $730 new... is not feasable, and on a laptop that is only a little over a year old.  I have leaned an expensive lesson, stay away from your products... guess I will try to get some of my lost money back selling the display panel, power adapter, Wifi card, and then reusing the RAM and SSD in a new computer I am planning to build...  ultimately your company will lose out on this situation as I will not purchae any more of your products (I have bought 3 new laptops from you over the past 4 years, and was planning to get another this Christmas)... plus I will warn other of this lack of product support.  Too bad.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors