Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veneer
Punch Card
Views: 3,630
Message 1 of 21

Lenovo Ideapad 100-15IBY mono sound

I knew that this laptop had one tiny speaker but I didn't really mind because I use extra speakers. To my surprise, even if you connect a stereo pair of speakers the sound that you get is mono. I tried different kinds, of jacks, headphones and what so, but no stereo sound. It seems that the combo jack provides mono sound. The sound card is a realteck HD audio ALC233. Have all updates and laptop had windows 10 Home preinstalled

You can check for your self doing the "left an right test" through control panel.  I also went back to the store and checked for my self on other demo laptops. Same issues there too. Went to other stores  same issues on all ideapads 100 seiries.

I contacted Lenovo in Greece. They advised that the sound out the combo jack must be stereo in all occasions  and to send them the laptop to check it.

But what are they going to check? All ideapads 100 series laptops in the market, at least the ones I tested provide mono sound out of the combo jack.

Laptop specifications mention availability of a mono speaker and nothing about the combo jack.

i will apreciate an official answer on this matter which will be beneficial to lenovo customers. 

Darryl1
What's DOS?
Views: 3,407
Message 2 of 21

Re: Lenovo Ideapad 100-15IBY mono sound

I agree, My new ideapad only puts out in mono when headphones plugged into jack.

Also, why has it taking so long to reply to users who own the 100 series? one user questioned these audio problems back in April, it is now August.

People buy these products in good faith that they work fully as advertised.

Come on Lenovo, you're one of the biggest Laptop manufacturers in the world, you need to have better customer service than this.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 3,402
Message 3 of 21

Good day.

As described in the Community Guidelines, this is not a dedicated/staffed Lenovo support channel. It is a peer-to-peer support community.

If you require official Lenovo support for your product, you'll need to contact Service, directly, at:

Australia
Lenovo / IDEA-branded Products
English
1-800-041-021
9:00 - 18:00 Monday - Friday

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

Veneer
Punch Card
Views: 3,394
Message 4 of 21

I have to mention that I had contacted lenovo support on this matter on March asking for a replacement laptop. Stereo sound is important for me at least when I plug in extra speakers.

The answer was "No" because I had purchased the item more than 30 days before the issue was reported. (Warranty policy) and that I had to send the laptop to their service center.

But what were they going to repair? This a manufacturing defect. It seems that this concerns all ideapad series. I checked for my self.

I insisted calling for a week and saying that I will only accept a replacement, a model which provides stereo sound, or a full refund and that I want a written answer about this audio problem.

The ticket was closed and had no answer since then.

Last week (last month of July) I received a phone call from lenovo (thats what they claimed)  asking me why am I disappointed with their support. I had filled a online survey they sent me via e-mail were I expressed my disappointment..

After I expressed my opinions and explained to the representative the problem the answer was that the issue is under investigation....and that I will receive an answer shortly.

I am not happy with lenovo support.

LinuxMaster
What's DOS?
Views: 3,321
Message 5 of 21

it is a Windows 10 Problem, in Linux the Stereo Sound works, just try yourself. At the beginning Windows 10 outputs Stereo, but after a Update they Outputs only Mono Sound. I dont know if in Windows 7 they have the same Problem. I have tryed to change some registery entrys to change the default mode from mono to stereo, but I cant find the right Entry, but they must be somewhere.
Veneer
Punch Card
Views: 3,313
Message 6 of 21

So if it is a windows problem why does the laptop function in stereo after connecting a usb sound card? I think it is the cheap combo jack it comes with. It  is mono by default which means  it is a hardware issue. It's for sure a lenovo problem that they do not want to accept and there is no official answer about it.

MikkoKia
What's DOS?
Views: 2,932
Message 7 of 21

Hi! I have the same problem, I bought mine 4 days ago.

Will the usb sound card will give an stereo sound?

thanks! Smiley Happy

Veneer
Punch Card
Views: 2,928
Message 8 of 21

In my opinion return it and ask for a  full refund or at least a new replacement laptop equiped with two speakers and check  if it outputs stereo. All idepad 100 series laptops which I have tested have this issue.

The usb sound car will give you stereo sound but this laptop is equiped with only two usb ports.

Definitely you will need them for something else.

This a  hardware issue and Lenovo suport has not replied on this matter.

Sorry but I am not happy with this purchace.

MikkoKia
What's DOS?
Views: 2,888
Message 9 of 21

Hi! I figured out the solution to get a stereo audio from Lenovo IdeaPad 100 Win10!

Uninstall the Realtek HD Audio driver! It works fine with my laptop. But if you want to have a HD sound quality, you can download VIA audio driver. But before downloading it, try first the quality of the audio of your laptop without any audio driver (Realtek, VIA, etc.) 

Veneer
Punch Card
Views: 2,867
Message 10 of 21

Thanks for your advice. I am using Windows 10 home.

I deactivated Realtek sound card via device manager. Then restarted the PC.

The combo jack still puts out mono sound.

Opened device manager again. Checked for soundcard Updates. An update was available so I updated  to:

realtec.JPG

Same issue. Went back to my usb sound card.

I am really sad. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors