Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kimberlie
Punch Card
Views: 29,218
Message 1 of 18

Lenovo Ideapad 110-15ISK, Model 80UD0017US - Memory Upgrade Questions

I am generally a Mac user, but wanted a PC to run a few apps I can't run on my Mac, and didn't want to partition my drive and use Boot Camp (I'd done this previously, and chose not to do it this time). A few days ago I purchased a Lenovo 110-15ISK laptop, model number 80UD0017US. I had been looking at an HP laptop, but read that it was not so user friendly when upgrading the RAM and hard drive, and passed on that one (for that specific reason), and saw this Lenovo in the local Best Buy on sale. I usually check things out pretty throughly before I purchase, but I have to admit, I didn't on this purchase.

Although the laptop is nice, I was not pleased to find out that you pretty much have to disassemble half of the computer to be able to access the memory and hard drive. Not exactly what I was hoping for. Anyway, I've decided to leave the hard drive as is, since it's a 1TB (although I prefer SSD and upgraded my MacBook Pro to an SSD on day 1 and love it!). However, I definitely want to upgrade the RAM from 4GB. I was a little horrified to find out that the 4GB is soldered onto the motherboard, and that there's only one available slot for RAM.

I've read up a bit on it, on both this forum and through Google and Bing searches, and it seems there are differing opinions on how much RAM this model can accept and still be stable. Some say it can take as much as a 16GB DDR4 stick bringing the memory up to 20GB, and some say that the max is a 4GB stick, bringing the RAM up to 8GB. Which is it? I absolutely want stability, and would like to be able to install at least a 8GB stick of DDR 4 (bringing the total RAM to 12GB), if not the 16GB (total of 20GB) scenario, balancing price with function.

I also am still within my return window for the purchase of the laptop, so I still have the option to return it and buy something that is a little more user accessible, but I actually like the way this Lenovo functions, except for the lack of RAM. Any idea on what the accurate assessment is on how much RAM can be installed on this model? Also, are there particular RAM brands that Lenovo likes better than others? I was looking at Samsung RAM as I read several reviews that it works well in Lenovo laptops. Thanks in advance for your help!

Best,

Kim

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 29,161
Message 2 of 18

Re: Lenovo Ideapad 110-15ISK, Model 80UD0017US - Memory Upgrade Questions

Your hardware maintenance manual.

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_110-14_15isk_hmm_201607.pdf

Page 27 shows 8GB max. 4GB soldered and 1 sodimm slot. (add 2GB or 4GB).

Page 72 shows memory parts.

Kimberlie
Punch Card
Views: 29,149
Message 3 of 18

Thanks for your help, sciexman, and for the link. I did see that in the manual it says 8GB total (4 soldered + 4GB stick), but I know that often times, manufacturers understate the maximum RAM their computers can upgrade to. For example, my MacBook Pro, according to Apple, could take a maximum RAM of 8GB (DDR3). I had read several reports of users running fine with 16GB, some of those reports being articles from computer websites stating that I could run on 16GB. So, I purchased 2 8GB sticks of DDR3, installed them (3 years ago), and have been running fine on them ever since. My MacBook Pro immediately recognized the 16GB too. I have experienced no errors and my MacBook Pro runs flawlessly.

Also, I visited Crucial's website and looked up this model Lenovo. It states I can install up to a 16GB stick for a total of 20GB. I also read somewhere that Crucial may be incorrect, but I've also read a post from someone that claimed to install 16GB in the lone slot, and are running at 20GB. Of course I DON'T want to do this if all it will do is generate errors or cause harm to my computer. I'm not sure I'll be happy running just 8GB total though.

Best,

Kim

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 29,122
Message 4 of 18

@Kimberlie wrote:

I visited Crucial's website and looked up this model Lenovo. It states I can install up to a 16GB stick for a total of 20GB. I also read somewhere that Crucial may be incorrect, but I've also read a post from someone that claimed to install 16GB in the lone slot, and are running at 20GB.

The safest solution would be to buy the memory from Crucial.  Their website says this:

Using the Memory Advisor or Scanner on Crucial.com is the best way to ensure compatibility. 100% guaranteed. Or your money back.

Of course, you may want to purchase memory from a different supplier at a lower cost.  So you will need to evaluate the pros and cons.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Kimberlie
Punch Card
Views: 29,119
Message 5 of 18

Thank you CyberSimian for your reply. I agree that Crucial is usually the best way to go. I did try using their scan tool a couple of days ago, but each time I try to install it, it generates an error in Windows 10 and won't install. I tried a fresh download and install, with the same results.

Crucial was one of the sites way back when that determined that my MacBook Pro could run 16GB DDR 3, much like it's saying now that up to a 16GB stick of DDR4 is supported in my Lenovo. I do tend to trust them, and have purchased RAM from them several times in the past.  I had my choice of brands narrowed down to Crucial and Samsung....mostly because I trust Crucial, and I had read so many positive reviews on the compatibility between Lenovo and Samsung memory. I did read several posts on Crucial with similar Lenovo models, with mixed results, which gave me pause. Since there are several steps involved with disassembling the laptop and upgrading the RAM, I only want to have to do it once, and don't want to find issues after install requiring a second install of a different brand.

By the way, I watched a couple of videos on YouTube on disassembling my model Lenovo Ideapad and installing RAM, and the comments posted with the videos. Two other folks posted that they went with 16GB and 8GB respectively in the lone RAM slot, so it looks like it worked for them. I did post a follow up to each to see how the increased RAM is working for them now (in both cases the upgrade was recently installed). I am awaiting a reply from both.

Thanks again for your help.

Best,

Kim

Kimberlie
Punch Card
Views: 29,082
Message 6 of 18

Well, this is interesting....

Earlier today, when entering my serial number in on the Lenovo Support part of this site, I noticed that it gave incorrect information for my warranty start date (it said my warranty started on Oct 22, 2016 and was almost half-way used, and I didn't purchase this Ideapad until a little over a week ago (new) on Feb 24, 2017). Anyway, this prompted me to call Lenovo tech support.

Once I submitted a request for Lenovo to correct my warranty start date, I asked the tech about the RAM limit on this computer, as I was thinking of upgrading. He paused and looked it up for me. He told me something totally different than what the Lenovo documentation says....he said that the lone slot can support up to 8GB DDR4, for a total of 12GB. I wonder if there was a bios update or something that came out that allows for more RAM? I didn't ask. Anyway, I found it interesting.

He also verified something I'd also been wondering....if upgrading my RAM will void my warranty, if I install it myself. He said no, so long as I don't damage anything when performing the upgrade. Fair enough.

Kimberlie
Punch Card
Views: 28,751
Message 7 of 18

Just a quick follow-up....

Yesterday the memory I ordered from Amazon arrived (G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB DDR4 2133) and I installed it in my Ideapad 110-15isk 80UD last night. The system recognized the RAM immediately, and I'm currently running 12GB. So far, so good. I am noticing a huge improvement in speed (which is to be expected from increased RAM), but it's still amazing. Very happy I decided to upgrade.

BigBuford
Paper Tape
Views: 27,573
Message 8 of 18

Kim, I am wanting to know exactly which one you purchased from Amazon because I am needing to upgrade mine also. Thank you

Kimberlie
Punch Card
Views: 27,570
Message 9 of 18

Hi BigBuford,

The memory I bought at Amazon was G.Skill. Specifically:

G.SKILL 8GB (1 x 8GB) Ripjaws Series DDR4 PC4-1700 2133MHz SO-DIMM Laptop Memory Module (CL15) 1.20V F4-2133C15S-8GRS

• Single 8GB DDR4 memory upgrade for laptop computers
  • 2133MHz memory speed, PC4-17000 standard
  • Full memory timings of CL15 (15-15-15-36) - 260 pins
  • Requires voltage of only 1.20V which means longer battery life
  • Features Auto-Overclocking which allows qualified systems to detect the highest available speed and automatically adjust BIOS settings to match

I paid $58, but the price varies by seller. I'm pretty sure that our Lenovo Ideapad model doesn't support overclocking, but the RAM hasn't been an issue, as I think it autodetects if overclocking is supported.

There is also a great video on YouTube for the installation of RAM for this model: 

2017 Lenovo 110-15ISK Laptop Ram and Hard Drive Upgrade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhP928LNz9s&t=18s 

The author's username is RV Shadow. I even asked him a couple of questions before I purchased the RAM from Amazon (he installed the 4GB module of the same brand I bought) and he was very helpful. Another user on the same page as RV Shadow's video commented that they installed an 8GB stick (he bought Crucial, I believe), and this user didn't have any issues either.

I am really happy with the results I got and the RAM is still working flawlessly. I know RAM is one of the best/cheapest upgrades you can do to improve speed (besides upgrading to an SSD drive), but I'm still amazed at the difference in speed just from the RAM upgrade. $58 well spent.  Smiley Happy

Good luck with your upgrade!

Best,

Kim

BigBuford
Paper Tape
Views: 27,568
Message 10 of 18

Ok Thank you so much. Mine is a 80UD00M3US. It has the 6 RAM factory. Do you think the 8 will still work?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors