cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenovouser32
Paper Tape
Views: 7,729
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo Ideapad 110-Set an Admin PW in BIOS, Now I can't access BIOS after entering the correct PW?

HI,

Please skip to paragraph six for the actual issue I am having--the preceding paragraphs include info that may help to identify how to fix this. 

I am posting this using my HP desktop running Windows 7 as my Lenovo Ideapad 110 cannot connect to internet as explained below:

Firstly, Sorry if I am breaking community guidelines in any way with this post. I did multiple searches but only came up with "forgot my BIOS password-how can I reset it" type posts.

I am looking for urgent help to get back into the "BIOS" of my Lenovo IdeaPad 110 running preinstalled Windows 10. Everything was running fine until yesterday. This is when I made the mistake of thinking I knew more about the system than I actually seem to lol :/

So, yesterday--I entered the "BIOS" screen upon startup using F2 (function key+F2). I went on to disable wireless connection ability (to test something unrelated), and also switched Boot from strait UEFI boot mode to legacy/UEFI boot-with UEFI being the default boot option. 

I don't know if any of the above have to do with the issue I am now having but I wanted to share it just in case. Here is the real issue as of now:

Also yesterday at the same time while in "BIOS", I also went on to set an "admin password", the one you must type in before you can even get to the lenovo splash screen to enter "BIOS". Basically I believe this is referred to as a POST password although I am not an expert cleary (hence asking for the experts' help!). 

I know the password and have not forgotten it,  however when I input the password and hit enter to boot past POST---this is where the problem arises. I can no longer access the "BIOS" menu with F2 on the subsequent Lenovo splash screen, after entering correct admin password and the system starts to boot. 

If I hold it long enough I get a message saying "To skip disk check press any key within 10 seconds" (that is a paraphrase, might be 8 seconds, I can confirm though, if need be). Even with contiuning to hold (and have tried repeated pressing) of F2, it still takes me strait to Windows 10 user login screen. 

How can I get back into the "BIOS" without prying apart the system? It does not make sense to me that I have set an admin POST password that is correctly entered but after, I cannot access the BIOS to change any settings (as in, wirelesss conection ability, etc.). 

Any help, suggestions, guidance, or even guess are most appreciated. This is a slightly urgent issue as I need to access things that require wireless connection on the laptop for my work and I really don't want to have to take this to a repair shop or try taking apart anything and ruining it further. It seems I have made a mistake somewhere, or perhaps I need to use a different key to enter the BIOS now? 

In the meantime before I (hopefully) get some responses, I will attempt using F12, delete, shift, etc. to enter BIOS after entering Admin Password. I will update this thread immediately if I am able to get in to the BIOS again. 

Thank you in advance for any help that is provided to me for this issue!

-L

lenovouser32
Paper Tape
Views: 7,727
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo Ideapad 110-Set an Admin PW in BIOS, Now I can't access BIOS after entering the correct P

Sorry for the double post but I just saw this information and thought it might apply to me, please let me know what you think:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht500216

Highlighted
lenovouser32
Paper Tape
Views: 7,722
Message 3 of 6

Re: Lenovo Ideapad 110-Set an Admin PW in BIOS, Now I can't access BIOS after entering the correct P

Lol oh my!

I just got back into the BIOS--I think perhaps I was not quick enough in hitting function+F2 to enter BIOS after inputting Admin/POST password. 

I believe this problem is solved--also it could be that I have my WiFi turned on now and believe I had it turned off when attempting before. Not really sure! 

Anyway, this is, as of now, completely solved (lol by the OP non-expert--I am an idiot :] ). I just got into the BIOS (and then ran to this computer to update before wasting anyone's time), and am going to change all settings back and remove Admin password. I believe it should work and all will be well again, in which case I will mark this as solved.

Thanks to anyone who had a brief chance to look into this for me and my apologies as well!

Will update one last time and mark solved once I am able to change aformentioned settings and confirm that all is well.

Not sure if any experts out there know if this was a matter of not having a WiFi connection active for the laptop to use (doubtful) or just me not being quick enough to key in BIOS entrance thru F2--it may come in handy for someone in future however--although I hardly doubt any one else is as idiotic as me right now!!!!

Thank you again.

-L

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 7,711
Message 4 of 6

The administrative password (BIOS password) restricts access to the BIOS.  It does not inhibit startup.  Is it possible you entered special characters that are not accepted?  There is no way the password could be anything other than what you entered.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
lenovouser32
Paper Tape
Views: 7,699
Message 5 of 6

See my own post above richk, and thank you for time!

The password was not the problem-- it was entering BIOS after POST password was entered correctly.

Solved it as you will see in above post--pretty sure I just wasnt hitting Function plus F2 quick enough after entering BIOS pw correctly--not the WiFi off issue.

I am marking this as solved as I have successfully been able to revert back to old settings and get rid of BIOS PW.

Rich, terms get confusing. The POST admin PW I had set DID in fact inhibit startup. I apologize if I used the wrong terminology in my first post. However the system would not start up without me entering correct password (which was not the problem)---just to clarify!

Thanks Rich and to all others who may have looked into this---and this forum as a whole for existing as a resource for me and the rest of us semi-pro, overconfident users!

Cheers to all-

L
CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,636
Message 6 of 6

@lenovouser32 wrote:
pretty sure I just wasnt hitting Function plus F2 quick enough after entering BIOS pw correctly

A way to enter the BIOS that may be more reliable than pressing an F key repeatedly is to use the "Novo" button when the system is powered off.  I have two Lenovo laptops, each with a BIOS power-on password, and I have never had any problem entering the BIOS by using the "Novo" button.

On most Lenovo systems, the "Novo" button is concealed beneath the casing, and you press it by inserting the end of a straightened paper clip into the correct hole in the casing.  Refer to the "User Guide" (UG) or "Hardware Maintenance Manual" (HMM) for your model to find out where the "Novo" button is located.  You can download the UG and HMM from the "Support" section of this web site.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors