Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BruFm
What's DOS?
Views: 30,848
Message 1 of 28

Lenovo Ideapad 320 fan noise problem

I just bought the Ideapad 320. It is so noisy. The fan whirrs even if I open a browser, or if it has just been turned on. It seems to be a common complaint on this site, with no solution. BIOS and drivers are updated. It is driving me crazy.

Massei94
Paper Tape
Views: 30,138
Message 2 of 28

Re: Lenovo Ideapad 320 fan noise problem

I have this problem too. I was already thinking about getting it back to the store I bought it from.

I love how the laptop works. It does everything just how I expected it to do. But the noise of the fan is pretty frustating.
Luka_s
Fanfold Paper
Views: 30,115
Message 3 of 28

My ideaPad 320 laptop has exact issue, already replaced to another new one, but the problem continues. 

I can't understand why the fan is still working when machine is idle and chilled (32 C.degr. CPU). Even being in BIOS, the fan noise is present Smiley Mad

That's the most common complaint about 320 series. Couldn't you - dear Lenovo -  just prepare BIOS update to make the fan active only when it's needed?? 

Waiting for BIOS fix for 320-IKB... 

VicManBRA
Fanfold Paper
Views: 30,075
Message 4 of 28

For any of you that just get to face this same issue , i just thought i could share my experience with you and help somebody.

I have been a laptop user for years. My first laptop was bought around 2011, a gaming laptop, so i encountered lots of issues i had to dig it up, try to sort it out, try to fix it.... made me spend a lot of money, and it just improved a little bit of my understandings, although i am still a complete newbie
Smiley LOL

What i found about this lenovo ideapad 320 by using it and also watching some guys on youtube disassembling it which made me able to observe it inside of it was that the cooling system IS great but unfortunately it`s not great enough to sustain both chips (Geforce and I7 Intel) under heavy load in a TOP COOL temperature . I am not saying it`s not able to cool them. What i am saying is that the fan has to spin a lot in order to keep the temperature cool, because of the thermal demand, and the temperature does get closer to the limit, although not reaching and getting past it.

Intel i7 processors IMHO are one of the culprits. They come with those turbo options, which gives them the ability to get higher frequencies(almost 1 GHZ more), but also demand a lot, a lot, a lot of heat dissipation. So the cooling system suffers. Keep in mind that the cooling system is simple, they(both CPu and GPU) share the same heat pipe and exhaust. So if you are playing a heavy game, with i7 turbo on….. geforce may not be getting any hot, but the heat produced by i7 turbo is so high that it makes geforce chip gain like 7 or so celsius.

If you have your windows power options set to high performance, you should take a look into processor option and limit it to 99% (which is going to avoid turbo from turning on). This will keep Intel cooler, or if you are more worried (like me) set it to lower values.

I am not saying the cooling system fails to cool the system. What I am saying is that it could be better. I am also not saying that you are risking losing your laptop, but you are sure decreasing its lifetime. It`s not Lenovo`s fault either. They receive those chips and all they do is install it and sometimes they don’t imagine such a thermal demand…..

Luka_s
Fanfold Paper
Views: 30,039
Message 5 of 28

I would have agreed with you unless the configuration is considered.

I do agree with you - you’re right, considering powerful configuration. Mine particular model is based on i3 CPU (plus integrated GPU) – ideapad 320 15IKB 80 XL.

It’s just pointless to implement constant fan spinning in such a weak configuration.

I own Z50-70 model also and believe me – the fan starts to work  really occasionally, the laptop is silent for most of thetime. 

VicManBRA
Fanfold Paper
Views: 30,022
Message 6 of 28

This model you mentioned Z50 70 has a way bigger heat pipe. The air flow (instake and exhaut) could be better in that particular model. 

be it an i3 or an i7, they are all going to have a turbo technology increasing the frequency randomly during usage....thus increasing its TDP - equals to more temperature to be dissipated...thus requiring the fan to spin at times. The point in that is that the temperature varies a lot reaching dangerous levels.

well,  i dont know what to say... if it`s either the manufacturers that , when developing a notebook, need to focus on the intel with turbo on when develpoing their cooling system capabilities making it able to sustain it when turbo is on..... or if its the Intel that lacks some kind of specification when delivering the chip to the manufacturer to manufacture the equipament.....

either way, in fact what we most of the time see when it comes to laptops is a cooling system that is not enough to sustain chips at heavy load in safe temps..... this worries me because we want LAPTOPS that last... not LAPTOPS that dies fast

Massei94
Paper Tape
Views: 29,822
Message 7 of 28

Does anybody know if Lenovo is even aware of this problem? Are they working on a fix?

If it only occured when the CPU was using its turbo, I would totally understand. But the cooling system is constantly spinning, it begins when I start my laptop and ends when I close it down.

In my previous post, I forgot to mention I'm using the Ideapad 320 with AMD A12 CPU.
Andy_de2
Paper Tape
Views: 29,660
Message 8 of 28

I have the same problem with my Ideapad 320s-13IKB Intel i5-8250u. And to be honest, this kinda drives me crazy as well. 

I've tried Speedfan 4.5.2  but it doesn't even find any fans to control. Also te program NoteBook FanControl doesn't feature the 320 model. I don't know if there is a solution for this problem, but even while  typing those lines the fan is noisy.

Vasilis_R
Blue Screen Again
Views: 29,589
Message 9 of 28

I have the 320 15ABR with AMD A10 and I made a compromise by reducing the max processor state to 5% from win 10 power options. Now the fan noise problem is almost solved. Lenovo dear Lenovo please give us a solution.

ovicsb
Fanfold Paper
Views: 29,101
Message 10 of 28

Me too,

For me the lenovo chapter is definitely closed.I will not buy a Lenovo notebook anymore, I stay with the my house brand.I use 3 pc Asus ( 2 notebook and 1 Desktop) at home and I do not even know how to buy this ..... mini airplane that seems to take off.

I want to know at least one of the cooling system designers and to get him to sleep every night with this laptop started for at least a year. I think it will design a passive cooling system if it does not die in the meantime.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors