Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sunking101
What's DOS?
Views: 3,926
Message 11 of 27

Re: Lenovo Ideapad 320 fan noise problem

I have the Ideapad 320s with an i5 processor, 8GB RAM and FHD display.

The laptop is fantastic apart from the fan! What the heck? Latest generation 14Nm die and yet so much heat the fan needs to spin constantly even when just web browsing? We should almost be at the point of passive cooling and yet if you listen to my fan you would think that my laptop has an old Pentium processor in there!

I bought this laptop to work quietly on an evening and it is noisier than ANY of my old laptops!! It sounds like a hairdryer! Lenovo must know that laptop users want quiet fans! I bought a laptop with an SSD so that I could enjoy quiet computing for goodness sake. With very light use my fan is on ALL the time and if downloading Windows updates or something the noise is extremely loud like a jet engine. I took the computer back to the store thinking it had a fault but the replacement is just the same!!

Please send a BIOS update for the fans! Listen to them is a totally quiet room on an evening! Where do you people test your products, in a noisy nightclub??

WilliamPSpruyt
What's DOS?
Views: 3,797
Message 12 of 27

I found my fan going constantly while the laptop was doing low level tasks eg streaming a film from amazon. I removed the lenovo appfinder which seemed to be very busy in the background. The fan stopped as I clicked uninstall. I think some of the extra software shipped with the laptop may be poorly written.

ovicsb
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,789
Message 13 of 27

Not the type of architecture at 14 nm is guilty, knowing that temperatures are much smaller on the junction than older architectures. I have the impression that the manufacturer willingly undersized the cooler and heatsink to the processor for reasons of economy. .. or worse of the greed of profit taking into account concidering other aspects of minimalist design.

nishnarton
What's DOS?
Views: 3,077
Message 14 of 27

What do you mean by reducing the processor state to 5% , how do you do that in Power options? I can't find anything about processor state
nishnarton
What's DOS?
Views: 3,077
Message 15 of 27

I have the same problem , updated the bios and the power management system but still no improvements. Did you ever find a solution to the problem?
sunking101
What's DOS?
Views: 3,070
Message 16 of 27

Running on battery power is quieter than running on mains. You can reduce processor power on mains too if necessary.

bluerose96
What's DOS?
Views: 2,902
Message 17 of 27

I have the exact same problem- the fan is so noisy, it's unbearable. I considered bringing it back but stupidly thought would get better, but it hasn't!

As I'm writing this message, it's whirring away for absolutely no reason. If I stop typing it stops. But the second I start typing again, it starts making the same noise. I've never known a laptop to do this before. 

pchmiel
What's DOS?
Views: 1,969
Message 18 of 27

Did someone reported it to Lenovo Support ?

Damian23
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,396
Message 19 of 27

Is there any solution?

Vasilis_R
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,166
Message 20 of 27

updated the bios with the latest release 5QCN22WW and now the fan noise problem is almost solved. i m saying almost because the only issue i have is during the video playback the fan is always working and i can hear it specialy when i lower the volume down. please lenovo optimize the graphic drivers make this last efford.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors