Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dude2k5
Fanfold Paper
Views: 484
Message 11 of 25

Re: Lenovo Ideapad 330-15ARR ryzen 5 bios doesn't support linux

Hello, we are trying to get the touchpad working in Ubuntu 18.04 but the elan_i2c_core.c does not work, I've tried a few kernel versions and none seem to enable the trackpad. May I ask what version you are using? And what Linux Distro? 

pataga
Paper Tape
Views: 465
Message 12 of 25

I'm not the OP. He was able to get the touchpad working, but not wifi. My experience was different.

I downloaded the RTL8821CE driver from https://github.com/tomaspinho/rtl8821ce. The author claims it was tested on Ubuntu 18.10.

I was able to compile and install this on Ubuntu 18.10. It works, sort of. I have a 4G cellular wifi hotspot that works fine  if I boot the machine in Windows 10. But under Ubuntu, am not able to connect to the hotspot.

However, in Ubuntu the laptop does connect to my Android phone enabled  as a hotspot. Sometimes I have to enable and disable wifi a few times before I can connect. So there are probably still some issues with the driver. 

The touchpad does not work. I haven't built a kernel with the suggested modification  to check if that works. I use my laptop  with external monitor, keyboard and mouse. So haven't been motivated enough to fix the touchpad problem. Hoping for a 4.20 kernel (expected Dec ?) with updated drivers that work out of the box.

dude2k5
Fanfold Paper
Views: 461
Message 13 of 25

I tried Linux Mint and Ubuntu and both had different issues. I had to change bios settings, disable amd security chip/secure boot, enable legacy mode and enable legacy boot first, and disabled os optimized defaults on the last page.

With Mint I had to boot with noacip, acpi=off and nomodeset in grub. That allowed me to install the OS and boot up. But by having acpi=off, it made the wifi not work. And without the code I got ACIP errors and kernel fatal errors. It said it was hardware disabled no matter what I did, but there is no switch to enabled/disable it. And FN keys do not work. Touchpad did not work as well, didnt try to compile the kernel in mint since wifi didnt work

Ubuntu I was able to boot with noapic and nomodeset, didnt need to put acpi=off and by doing so, i was able to get my wifi working. I should say I upgraded my card to a little better model (intel 9260). It picked up the wifi right away and had no issues. Touchpad I tried to compile the kernel with many different versions (4.17-4.19) but none worked with what they said. The entry they mentioned was either not there, or if it was, changing it did not do anything on reboot. Just trying to gather more info and see what else we can try. 

Tracking the issue here if you are interested:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1795292

aswinp222
Paper Tape
Views: 436
Message 14 of 25

After almost 1 months of hardwork!!I literally made a nearly stable dual boot setup.Try my methods,worked fine with moth Linux mint 19 and Ubuntu 18.04(present setup)

1.Go to bios and disable each and everything related to legacy boot.Resetting bios settings won't disable everything necessary.Whatever you do other than this method you won't be able to install Ubuntu in uefi mode.in legacy mode proper working not possible to do without nomodeset parameter..So better do this.

2.Live boot to Ubuntu.Make sure you are in uefi mode(google).Install it .Take care to create a seperate partition for boot field.

3.Reboot and install windows 10 in Uefi mode.use f12 ro change boot options.

4.Now pressing f12 at reboot time will show up both Linux and windows partitions.boot to Linux.Download and compile 4.17.x kernel  after making changes as I have instructed in above comment^^

5.Boot to the new kernel and you can see touchpad working(verified in Linux mint 19) .now install appropriate wifi driver(name in above comment^ ending with CE).After a reboot if things are fine,brightness,wifi and touchpad will be working fine

6.Grub might have been fixed automatically by now on trying to update kernel.If not,try installing Anbox emulator grub will be installed on updating some headers Smiley Tongue

😊 GOOD LUCK.Do share with me if the steps worked for you

pataga
Paper Tape
Views: 434
Message 15 of 25

Thanks for the update. I'm going to try rebuilding a kernel with driver modifications as you suggested. Have not done this before, so  i'm confused about your picking up the kernel from kernel.org instead of from ubuntu (with all the ubuntu applied patches) . 

Also, if I just want to build  a specific kernel version, can I avoid downloading gigabytes of source code ?  My cellular internet access has a daily limit.  Googling this has just added to the confusion - the information seems to be conflicting / out of date on most of the links.

aswinp222
Paper Tape
Views: 416
Message 16 of 25

Get source tarball from kernel . Org only 100MB.

How many hours battery backup do you guys get in this laptop?Am getting nearly 2.5HR or even less even on minimal usage.Opted for refund for the product.Remember my contributions Smiley Tongue

pataga
Paper Tape
Views: 396
Message 17 of 25

I'm using the laptop in Battery Saver mode - only charges to 60% - as I only use it as a desktop computer with built in UPS :-). So no idea about battery life, sorry.

Am going to try the kernel build procedure from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/BuildYourOwnKernel first and see how it goes modifying the source for my currently running kernel 4.18.  If that doesn't pan out, will try the source tarball as you suggested. Thanks.

Highlighted
pataga
Paper Tape
Views: 386
Message 18 of 25

Success ! ELAN touchpad and Realtek wifi now working with Ubuntu 18.10 with kernel 4.19 

I downloaded kernel source linux-4.19.tar.gz (161MBytes) from 

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/refs/tags

and followed the steps in 

https://www.linux.com/learn/intro-to-linux/2018/4/how-compile-linux-kernel-0

to build and install the kernel, using modified elan_i2c_core.c changing '061C' to '061E'.

Then installed  tomaspinho's RTL8821CE wifi driver. 

Hopefully nothing else is broken :-D, keeping my fingers crossed ... Thanks much for the touchpad fix !

I installed grub on the ubuntu partition. After  update-grub, the grub bootloader detected and added the 'windows boot manager' entry to the grub menu. After all of the above was done, went into BIOS setup to move the ubuntu partition above the windows partition in UEFI boot priority.  So now, no need to use F12, machine boots into grub and you can select ubuntu or windows 10 option.

dude2k5
Fanfold Paper
Views: 351
Message 19 of 25

Quick question for both of you, I wonder if this is part of the issue.

One:

You guys said you need nomodeset, but I do not need that for booting. But I do need noacip, do you guys need noacip to boot?

Two:

What version of BIOS are you on? Im on 7WCN27WW

I think maybe this is part of the issue? I had BIOS issues earlier, I flashed the latest version and it had problems, I had to reset the CMOS battery manually to get it to even save properly. I think something else may be wrong with it. I did the same thing you both did, downloaded 4.17, 4.18, changed to 061E, compiled and booted but I get [    7.563886] i2c_hid i2c-ELAN469D:00: i2c-ELAN469D:00 supply vddl not found, using dummy regulator on Ubuntu 18.04

dude2k5
Fanfold Paper
Views: 348
Message 20 of 25

SUCCESS!!!

Ok. So I updated my bios, they just released a new version 4 days ago.

I still booted off my kernel 4.19 with modified elan 061E

So after that, still didnt work. So I went to check recovery mode. I would get a black screen on removing noacip so I wanted to see why.

Turns out I have a problem with IVRS table
https://superuser.com/questions/1052023/ioapic0-not-in-ivrs-table

Saw the problem number, for me was 32

So I put ivrs_ioapic[32]=00:14.0 in grub boot, and it boots, AND MY TOUCHPAD WORKS!

I want to thank you both for the help and confirming it works for you both. I knew something was off. Glad I figured it out Smiley Happy

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors