Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rohit9033
Paper Tape
Views: 3,539
Message 1 of 29

Lenovo Ideapad 330-15ARR ryzen 5 bios doesn't support linux

Guys, i have bought lenovo ideapad 330-15ARR ryzen 5 model and firstly installed windows in it and that worked perfectly but when i tried installing a linux distro in it it's not getting installed neither in UEFI nor in Legacy mode. Please help  me, does the BIOS doesn't support linux or what?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 3,499
Message 2 of 29

Re: Lenovo Ideapad 330-15ARR ryzen 5 bios doesn't support linux

Hi Rohit9033,

Welcome to the community forums.

Are you getting an error while installing Linux? If yes, please send us a photo here. You may check the list of compatible devices for Linux on this link: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Rohit9033
Paper Tape
Views: 3,473
Message 3 of 29

yes i am getting an error while linux installation, even after that it gets installed but when i try to boot it it shows an error, i have attached the photo of the error with this message so please check it out and help me, i really need linux in my device.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 3,462
Message 4 of 29

Based on the screenshot, I see that you've installed Debian Linux. It also indicates that it failed to load drivers - this is possible if the system can't find the correct drivers or simply, the specific hardware components on this model isn't supported with this flavor of Linux.

As mentioned by Auxen, this machine wasn't tested for Linux, however, I did a quick search and the links below may help you install another flavor of Linux.

Ubuntu 18.04 (reported working properly):

Gentoo Linux (see installation guide):

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

pataga
Paper Tape
Views: 2,972
Message 5 of 29

I have the 330-15ARR with Ryzen 5 cpu. Make sure bios is UEFI not legacy mode, disable bios Secure Mode and Fast Boot. Then plug in the ubuntu (for me i used 18.10) install flash drive, reboot and enter bios setup and in boot priority, use F6 to bump up the flash drive to top boot priority. 

Now reboot. In the flash drive boot screen, select install ubuntu.  During installation, you are supposed to set the boot drive as the one that is described as 'Windows boot manager", for installation of the grub bootloader. But this procedure  fails.

However after installation finishes, remove the flash drive, and reboot the machine. If you do not do anything it will boot into Windows 10 as before - no grub boot screen. However, if you press F12 after restart, you will get a bios screen with  boot options including Windows and ubuntu. Select ubuntu, and you are good to go. I.e., use F12 instead of grub to select Windows/Ubuntu.

What I need to fix from this point is that Ubuntu 18.10 does not install drivers for the 330-15ARR touchpad or Wifi.  sigh ...

aswinp222
Paper Tape
Views: 2,956
Message 6 of 29

Hey,thanks for the information.Let me try your steps once i get back my laptop.I installed both linux and windows 10 in legacy mode.I have fixed complex issues such as touchpad and wifi too(tips to fix them  at the end of this comment).My issue was that linux boots only with 'nomodeset' parameter in grub menu [since nomodeset is active,am not able to ocntrol brightness]hope your method works.

to fix wifi(pretty easy)
* tested working on all kernel versions of 4.17.xx(it failes in 4.18.xx when i tried a week back,dont know the case now)
1)use this command: lspci | grep Wireless

2)in the result you will find something like 'RTL8821AE' do search for that drivers in google.clone them and just run the installer file.you are good to go with wifi.

to fix touchpad(not that easy if you havent compiled a kernel yet,not that difficult either)
1)download any kernel source from kernel.org(better choose the version that you are running presently or just the next updated version of it)
      *use the command 'uname -a' to find the current kernel version

2)extract the kernel source and find the file 17.4.xx/drivers/input/mouse/elan_i2c_core.c

3)locate the line { "ELAN061C", 0 } edit that '61C' to '61E' and save that file
4)compile and use your new kernel
(this link may help if you are a newbie in kernel compiling.I simply followed it-https://medium.freecodecamp.org/building-and-installing-the-latest-linux-kernel-from-source-6d8df534...)

I have personally tested both wifi and touchpad and both of them worked pretty fine too.In case if any of the above said methods is not working for you,please do reply.I will obviously help you once i get back my laptop.

[+++ how many hrs battery backup are you guys getting?my meachine hardly gets 100minutes battery backup and i have requested for a replacement from the seller.But he is not willing to accept replacement request claiming that a 2cell 35wh batter will only get that much battery backup,please do share your battery backup ]

pataga
Paper Tape
Views: 2,942
Message 7 of 29

My 330-15ARR machine has the Realtek RTL8821CE wifi module.  I've downloaded the github source package for the rtl8821ce driver on another machine with internet access. But since  my internet access is only via wifi ( 4G dongle), I can't install build-essentials or other prerequisite packages to build and install the Realtek driver on this machine - chicken and egg problem :-P.  

So am now going through the process of upgrading my other machine to Ubuntu 18.10, then copying the apt packages from /var/cache/apt/archives to a flash drive, copying them to this machine, installing build-essentials etc. etc.  At least I hope it works.

Also, the 18.10 distribution has installed 4.18 kernel which you say is incompatible with the touchpad (my touchpad hardware is ELAN-061).

So that's another issue, may have to install a different kernel as per your information. 

aswinp222
Paper Tape
Views: 2,933
Message 8 of 29

Sorry,you misunderstood.from my experience what 4.18 doesn't support is wifi .The package will keep on giving errors on installing the drivers.touchpad will surely work on 4.18 kernel.i have personally tried.Also,why don't you try tethering internet using usb hotspot from an Android phone..I did the same in  Linux mint 19

pataga
Paper Tape
Views: 2,928
Message 9 of 29

OK, thanks for the clarification. I will try the usb to phone hotspot link, I never thought of that - thanks !

Also, I just re-read your original post and you write that you first installed Windows 10 on your machine. Maybe you installed it with bios in legacy mode, in that case you have to install ubuntu also with bios in legacy mode. Maybe the F12 boot select could still work.

My machine came with Windows 10 preinstalled, with bios in UEFI mode. So I had to install Ubuntu with bios in UEFI mode. Also, after I found that grub won't install to the "Windows boot manager" partition (something about GPT versus MBR format), I think i re-tried the ubuntu installation selecting the ubuntu partition for grub installation.  So when I hit F12 on restart and select the ubuntu boot option, it first comes up with a grub bootscreen that only shows Ubuntu boot options. 

aswinp222
Paper Tape
Views: 2,922
Message 10 of 29

yes,both windows and linux are in legacy mode only.btw in my case grub installed flawlessly without any issues.still,nomodeset parameter is necessary to boot linux.however i havent tried the F12 method.will obviously try it once i get my laptop and let you know if it worked out well Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors