Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amuganda
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,059
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo Ideapad 500 15ISK - Compatible SSD's

Hi all

I want to replace my current HDD which has a capacity of 1TB with an SSD, preferably of the same capacity as I'm hoping I can just clone the drive before swapping it into my laptop.

Which SSD's are compatible with the laptop?

Are there any restrictions when it comes to the capacity of the SSD?

Thanks

Truthfinder200
What's DOS?
Views: 1,025
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo Ideapad 500 15ISK - Compatible SSD's

Good evening;

I have the Y500 with two GT 650M Graphic cards.     I recently changed out the original 1TB drive that came with my Y500 when purchased.   My y500 only has about one month of use on it as when I originally purchased it I had two other T model Thinkpads which I was using, thus I kept the Y500 boxed and stored away.   I only recently unboxed and fired it up.  So, I have a Ideapad that's three or four years old, but still a new unit.....   I must say it's a fantasic uni..

Anyhow, I installed a half TB Samsung SSD  drive and it worked out great.   You need a 2.5" SSD and you won't have a problem.   You can also get a copy of Paragon Hard Disk Manager suite which can be used to take your entire image on your current H.D. and it will move it over to either DVD's or directly to your new SSD.    Or, if you choose, you can install Windows 10 or and  other Operating systemfrom the ground on up.

hope I was able to give you the infor you need.   

oh, one more thing.   There are tons of SSD drives to choose from, however, I did tons of research and it appears as if Samsung has all other blown away.   There drives seem to outlast others by a mile.  My particular SSD has a 10 year warranty.....

Regards,    Steve

amuganda
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,014
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo Ideapad 500 15ISK - Compatible SSD's

Hi Steve,

Happy New year!

In my opinion, the build and specs of the Lenovo's and in my case, specifically the Ideapad 500, are top notch. I feel the only thing that lets it down is the hard drive which I find runs too hot for my liking, is a little slow and reduces the performance of the system overall.  

I decided to switch it out for a Samsung Evo 850.

I initially tried the Samsung Magician Software to clone my existing hard drive, which didn't work. I also tried various partition software, however, I found with the new SSD in the system there were issues booting into Windows 10 as it would give me a 0x000225 error. I'm not quite sure why it was happening, but, I'm not ready to go down that rabbit hole yet... Smiley LOL

The easiest and quickest method for me was to swap out the drives and do a clean install of Windows 10 on the SSD (Just make sure you have your Windows 10 Product Key). I then placed the old HDD into a caddy, transferring my data via SATA to USB 3.0 connection. 

So, now I have a fully working and stable Lenovo Ideapad 500 - 15ISK ( Intel Core i7-6500U, 12GB RAM with a 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD).

Thanks for your input Steve.

Regards

Anthony

Top Kudoed Authors