Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TonyTravesi
Paper Tape
Views: 2,130
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo Ideapad 510-15ISK - Windows 7 installation on SSD - driver required

So i have lenovo ideapad 510, i recently changed hdd to ssd and was going to install Windows 7 on it, however i cannot proceed as windows 7 require Sata driver. Which drive can i use to finish this installation?

Anyone? Smiley Happy

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,081
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo Ideapad 510-15IKB - Windows 7 installation on SSD - driver required

@TonyTravesi wrote:

So i have lenovo ideapad 510, i recently changed hdd to ssd and was going to install Windows 7 on it, however i cannot proceed as windows 7 require Sata driver. Which drive can i use to finish this installation?

What is the make and model of the SSD that you have installed?

By the way, do you realise that Microsoft have refused to provide any updates for Windows 7 on systems that have Kaby Lake processors?  Your 510-15IKB has a Kaby Lake processor, so no Windows 7 updates, ever!  I think that you will have difficulty with the Intel drivers too -- they will refuse to install.  I recollect someone fixing that by editing the INF file to fool the system into thinking that the driver is compatible.  I don't remember where I read that, so you will have to search for the details.

If you are a small business and you need to use Windows 7 because of a business-critical app that does not work on Windows 10, you should sell your Kaby Lake laptop and buy a laptop that uses the previous generation processor, which is Sky Lake (e.g. a 510-15ISK).  Microsoft are continuing to offer Windows 7 updates for Sky Lake systems (until support ends in 2020).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

TonyTravesi
Paper Tape
Views: 2,075
Message 3 of 7

Hi, wow that is quite good explanation. i doublecheck this laptop and it is SK no KB (sorry my bad). It is personal laptop not buisness at all. Reason for installation Windows 7 is, well i don't like Win10 Smiley Happy SSD is Segate Evo 850 250GB.
CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,050
Message 4 of 7

@TonyTravesi wrote:
Reason for installation Windows 7 is, well i don't like Win10 Smiley Happy SSD is Segate Evo 850 250GB.

Yes, I agree. Smiley Happy  (I have installed Windows 7 on my 700-15ISK, in a dual-boot setup with Windows 10.)  I assume that the SSD that you have installed is this one (Samsung, not Seagate):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-850-EVO-250GB/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ASamsung%20850%20EVO...

This is a 2.5 inch SATA SSD, and it uses the same drivers as a 2.5 inch SATA HDD.  So Windows 7 should install without problem (it has the necessary drivers on the DVD).

With the system powered off, use the "Novo" button to enter the BIOS and check if the BIOS sees the SSD.  It should do.  If it does not, the SSD may not be plugged in fully, or the SSD may be faulty.  So unplug the SSD and then plug it in again, making sure that it is fully inserted into the socket.  If the BIOS still cannot see the SSD, remove the SSD and install it in a different computer to see if that can see the SSD.  If it cannot, the SSD is probably faulty.

If the BIOS can see the SSD, but Windows 7 will not install, are you interpreting the error message correctly?  If your 510-15ISK has a DVD drive and you are installing from a DVD, the install should proceed without problem.  If you are trying to install from a USB memory stick, that won't work because Windows 7 lacks the drivers necessary to operate the USB2/USB3 sockets.

To install from a memory stick, you need to slipstream the missing drivers into the install image.  This is not as simple as copying the missing drivers onto the memory stick.  The following Intel tool can be used to update the install image with the additional drivers:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

Note: some people have used this tool, and have found that it worked first time.  Others have been unable to get it to work.  I don't know why that is (I have not used it myself), but it may be because they don't follow the instructions carefully enough.

For Windows 7 on a 510-15ISK you will have to load many extra drivers, for the various devices integrated on the motherboard (wi-fi, bluetooth, ethernet, camera, graphics, etc.).  I would suggest that you download the drivers for the 500-15ISK, which are available on this web site.  Although the 500 and 510 are different models, they are probably not greatly different, so many of the drivers should work on both models.  Unfortunately, Lenovo do not provide Windows 7 drivers for the 510 (but they do for the 500).

TonyTravesi
Paper Tape
Views: 2,042
Message 5 of 7

Samsung yes, you are right. gosh i'm terrible with this.

So :

On this PC as CD-rom there is cuddy for 2nd HDD (2TB), i don;t have cd-rom anymore (so no cd installation).

In regards of installation from USB - the only thing i cannot figue out is which driver needs to be installed. i checked few of them - no luck. After that i will be able to install rest of the drivers.

There is no problem with slipstream as i will just drop drivers on other HDD (i checked on Win7 installation i can browse to it)

I tried some Sata drivers, but none seems to work, so do you have which drivers will be working with this Laptop by any chance?

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,036
Message 6 of 7

@TonyTravesi wrote:

In regards of installation from USB - the only thing i cannot figue out is which driver needs to be installed. i checked few of them - no luck. After that i will be able to install rest of the drivers.

The driver that you need is for the USB2/USB3 sockets.  I think that this one should work:

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/500-SERIES/500-15ISK/downloads/DS105...

The download is an EXE file.  Run the EXE and it will create a folder on the "C:" drive called "Drivers" and place the driver files in that.  The install will then ask if you want to actually install the drivers (there is a check box that is pre-selected).  If you run the EXE on Windows 10, you don't want it to actually install the drivers, so deselect the check box.  You then have the driver files that you can copy elsewhere.

@TonyTravesi wrote:

There is no problem with slipstream as i will just drop drivers on other HDD (i checked on Win7 installation i can browse to it)

You can try this, but my recollection when I first tried to install Windows 7 on my 700-15ISK (which does not have an internal DVD drive) is that this does not work.  Possibly I did not perform the correct sequence of actions.

If copying the USB drivers to an accessible location does not work, you will need to use the Intel slip-streaming tool (which you run on Windows 10, I think).

TonyTravesi
Paper Tape
Views: 2,031
Message 7 of 7

You just made my day mister. Smiley Happy

I will test it today and post resolution - will try to find correct order to access drivers on 2nd hdd.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors