Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lars14
Paper Tape
Views: 208
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo Ideapad 520S-14IKB battery draining when powered down

Hi there, just over a month ago I bought a Lenovo Ideapad 520S-14IKB for my other half. It's a really nice machine but we've been observing something unusual: when you power the laptop down it's losing 20%, sometimes more, over night. For example I switched it off yesterday night at 94%. This morning it had 70% left. It's properly powered down, not in stand-by or anything like that.

Looks like a battery problem to me but before I send it back to the retailer I just wanted to make sure there isn't any setting or anything that can be deactivated/activated to avoid this. Please let me know.

Thanks

Lars

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 188
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo Ideapad 520S-14IKB battery draining when powered down

Hi Lars14!

Welcome to the Community,

Turn off Fast Startup and check for any changes,

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht501793

Update us how it goes.

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Lars14
Paper Tape
Views: 158
Message 3 of 6

unfortunately turning off Fast Startup has not made any difference. I also checked and "Always-on USB" was deactivated out of the box (read in another thread this could cause the problem).

I was just away from home for a week and the laptop was fully charged before we left. When I got back it would not turn on because the battery was dead.

Any other ideas?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 142
Message 4 of 6

Hi Lars14,

Is the laptop no longer turning on? If so, have you tried plugging in the charger for at least 30 mins before turning it on? If you are able to turn it on, could you please try to update the BIOS? Please download the BIOS firmware here https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/ (please enter the serial number and go to the Drivers & Software tab, then select your OS and look for BIOS firmware). Ensure that your laptop is connected to the charger while updating the BIOS to make sure that it has enough power. Let us know how it goes. -Maru_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Lars14
Paper Tape
Views: 116
Message 5 of 6

Ok, updated the BIOS, there was indeed a new version available, but no change. We now have fast-startup disabled, USB-charging when switched off also disabled and a new BIOS.

Anything else I could try before sending it back to the vendor? It's a real pity because I really like the computer and it's not available at the vendor anymore :/ They have already offered me a return and money back but I'd much prefer to get the computer to work :/

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 110
Message 6 of 6

Hi! The issue seems to be a hardware failure on the battery. We suggest you to get in touch with our support on this link: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/SupportPhoneList?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20x9m6.

Regards

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors