cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DBrakeman
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,909
Message 1 of 14

Lenovo Ideapad 530S 14-ARR GPU Keeps Throttling below 50°C + Very low Clockspeed

Hello,

I Installed both updates:

Advanced Configuration and Power Management Interface (ACPI) Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - 530S-1...15.11.28.1...2018-05-28
BIOS Update for Windows 10 (64-bit) - 530S-14ARR8PCN45WW2018-09-10
and the:  Lenovo Power Management Driver (64-bit)

I then set the Laptop into Perfomance Mode in the Bios.

The trottling issue / low Power state of GPU still comes into play every single time either the CPU or GPU sensor hits around 70°C for the first time.

I used different Benchmark Software + Games to test it.

I also tried the same while using a strong Fan to blow cold air towards the Laptop from underneath to increase Cooling Perfomance.

The GPU Permonance always plays out as following: The Benchmark or Game starts with a very decent GPU Clock between 900-1000MHz. The temperature then very slowly creeps up to 70°C, which is still not a dangerous temperature for the 2500U at all.
Then suddenly the GPU Clock falls all the way down and stays in between 250-350MHz.
While still running the Game/Benchmark my cooling solutions cools the now slow clocking CPU+GPU down to as low as 47°C.
The clock of the GPU doesnt rise at all as long as the Benchmark or Game keeps running. It stays all the way down at 250-350MHz until the Game is restarted. This results in a huge and very unnecessary Perfomance drop.

Please give me a solution or tell me that you are working on another BIOS update for my model.
Unfortunately there is no way to change any GPU settings for exmaple with the help of MSI Afterburner etc. to prevent this from happening.

If there is no solution I have to send my Laptop back because its a very annoying problem.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,860
Message 2 of 14

Re: Lenovo Ideapad 530S 14-ARR GPU Keeps Throttling below 50°C + Very low Clockspeed

Hi DBrakeman!

Welcome to the Community,

Set the Graphics Device in BIOS configuration tab to Switchable Graphics. Also, update the AMD driver here 

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/500-series/530s-14arr/downloads

After that, search online using the keyword "How to Configure AMD Radeon™ Settings to Get an Optimal Gaming Experience" and there some steps in the AMD article that is helpful.

Update us how it goes.

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

DBrakeman
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,839
Message 3 of 14

Re: Lenovo Ideapad 530S 14-ARR GPU Keeps Throttling below 50°C + Very low Clockspeed

Hello and Thanks for your response!

"Set the Graphics Device in BIOS configuration tab to Switchable Graphics."

- There is no option for this in the Bios. I don't think thats the issue though. Why should the Ryzen 2500U with integrated Vega 8 make use of switchable Graphics?

"Also, update the AMD driver here"

- This actually improved the perfomance a bit, but the issue remains the same. Each time one of the sensors suceeds the ~70°C mark, the GPU Clock slowly recedes from around 900-1000MHz down to ~300MHz. I use ingame Displaying of those stats via HWINFO64,Msi Afterburer and RIVATunerStatistics.

"After that, search online using the keyword "How to Configure AMD Radeon™ Settings to Get an Optimal Gaming Experience"

- This is also a helpful feature for more slick perfmonace, but isnt my issue here.

I know the 530S-14ARR is not a gaming laptop. But the hardware components would be able to sustain a higher clockspeed for a longer period of time without running into overheating.

It seems to work just fine for the first few minutes of running a game, the perfmonance is very good as long as the GPU clock hovers around 900-1000MHz.

I am not an expert on this topic but ive read about the same issues on the Ideapad 720s, albeit they seem to have gotten a bit better of that model after another BiosUpdate.

I think its got to be some sort of Power Management issue (TDP etc) and something like "Target Core Temp" Bios settings.

I am pretty sure a modified Bios would make this Laptop run Great (with higher but still healthy temps)

It seems the Ideapad is optimized a bit too conserative and there is no option to change it for someone who would like to push the Laptop at least a little bit closer to its limits.

Its just a bit off that the Laptop isnt capable of clocking up to 900-1000MHz again after the first drop during a Gaming/Benchmark session, even if the temps already dropped all the way down to 45-50°C.

Hope someone takes another look at this, thanks!

DBrakeman
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,824
Message 4 of 14

Its exactly the same issue as in other new posts regarding the Model 330-15ARR.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-1xx-3xx-5xx-7xx/LENOVO-IDEAPAD-330-15ARR-VEGA-8-GPU-CLOC...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-1xx-3xx-5xx-7xx/LENOVO-IDEAPAD-330-15ARR-gpu-clocks-down...

We need a Bios Fix for multiple Models. 

We should be able to set the Target Temperature in Bios higher, even if it leads to suspension of Warranty.

AlexandruSPT
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,384
Message 5 of 14

Lenovo just released a new BIOS. It has a 20W STAMP Limit wich gives more room for performance Smiley Happy I super excited.

Link for download here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/uu/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/500-series/530s-14arr/downloads/ds5...

By the way: my 540S Ryzen 5 2500U runs stable at 2.4 GHZ for unlimited time aroud 70 degrees celsius.

Let's spread the news about the new BIOS update. There are tons of people that are unhappy about the throttling issues, and would benefit from this.

stamp.PNG

AndrewP2
Paper Tape
Views: 1,320
Message 6 of 14

I'm still waiting on the update for the Flex 6 14-ARR. They are IDENTICAL, but bios is unavailable for that version.

Same throttling problem as you experience. 

Tricku
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,290
Message 7 of 14

BEWARE!

Do not update just yet. After this BIOS update, the laptop keeps looping BSOD 1 min after every fresh start/restart when unplugged.

I reinstalled all the drivers, updated windows and it is the same. Now the laptop is usable only as a "desktop", as it works fine while plugged in.

I'm waiting for a new BIOS update/ update for the AMD chipset for the following days. If nothing happens, I'm planning on returning the laptop, as it is simply unusable.

If anybody encounters the same problem and has a solution, I'm willing to try anything.

Thanks!

AlexandruSPT
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,235
Message 8 of 14

I updated my bios and the laptop.works fine. Maybe there.s another issue with your unit.

Highlighted
Tricku
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,011
Message 9 of 14

It seems that Lenovo is aware of the problem issued above, as the BIOS driver updated on 15 Feb for the 530s-14ARR model is the older version!!! (8PCN45WW now online recommended for download vs 8PCN50WW the one with the issues which is installed on my machine)

If anybody has o solution for how to downgrade to the earlier version which is now recommended by them, please reply.

Thank you!

EDIT: 

Just read about enabling the downgrade feature in BIOS.

Downgraded, everything works fine. Hopefully it stays like this and the next BIOS update will solve the BSOD issues everyone's having on the 2500u platform.

AlexandruSPT
Fanfold Paper
Views: 989
Message 10 of 14

I belive you. The weird thing is that mine seems to work. What do you think?

https://youtu.be/SnxQrkSoesU

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors