Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stylus2vinyl
What's DOS?
Views: 716
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo Ideapad 700-15ISK SSD Upgrade and Win10 Migration

Hi,

I recently received an Ideapad 700 that came with 8gb of RAM and a 1TB 5400rpm HDD with Win10 installed on it.  Because 5400rpm is rather slow, I purchased a 128GB M.2 SSD and installed it correctly.  The computer can see it and recognize it.

My issue is I am having trouble transferring Win10 from the HDD to the SSD and getting it to boot from the SSD.  It seems it just defaults to the HDD and I am not sure where I am going wrong.  Currently I have wiped the SSD and am starting from square 1.

Could anyone please help me out.  I don't want to break my wife's laptop before I get a chance to give it to her.  thanks!

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 673
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo Ideapad 700-15ISK SSD Upgrade and Win10 Migration

@stylus2vinyl wrote:

My issue is I am having trouble transferring Win10 from the HDD to the SSD and getting it to boot from the SSD.  It seems it just defaults to the HDD

There is probably more than one way to achieve what you want.  But I think that I would do it this way:

(1) Create the Windows Recovery USB memory stick from your existing Windows 10 installation.

(2) Enter the BIOS, and change the priority of the SSD and HDD so that the SSD occurs first (ahead of the HDD).  Also enable "Legacy Support" and "Legacy First".  Exit the BIOS saving the changes.  If Windows boots, allow it to complete, then shut it down and power off the system.

(3) Plug in the Windows Recovery memory stick and power on your system.  It should boot from the memory stick.

(4) Windows may give you several options, including "Repair".  Ignore that, you want to perform a completely new install, and you want to select the destination device (it may default to the HDD, you need to override the default selection so that Windows installs on the SSD).

I have not actually tried the above, so this is a bit of a guess on my part.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

shpe
Paper Tape
Views: 663
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo Ideapad 700-15ISK SSD Upgrade and Win10 Migration

microsoft says this will void the licence of your windows copy...

but most likely this wouldn't happened...

do a google research... http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid-state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors