cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Keano16
Punch Card
Views: 1,932
Message 1 of 11

Lenovo Ideapad 700 extremely slow startup (out of the box)

Device is 3 days old... 

i5 proessor

8 gb ram

preinstalled W10

From turning on to loading all startup items, to loading a website.... 8-10 minutes (?!?!?!).

I have only few apps on the PC! (ccleaner, eset, ms office).

What to do?!

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,885
Message 2 of 11

Re: Lenovo Ideapad 700 extremely slow startup (out of the box)

@Keano16 wrote:

Device is 3 days old, i5 proessor, 8 gb ram, preinstalled W10.

From turning on to loading all startup items, to loading a website.... 8-10 minutes (?!?!?!).

8-10 minutes does sound excessive.  The next time that you boot, open "Task Manager" and look at the graphical displays of CPU activity, disk activity, and network activity.  I suspect that you will find that disk activity is 100% for several minutes.  If this is the case, it could be Windows indexing your hard disk, or Eset performing an antivirus(?) scan.  Another possibility is that Windows 10, MS Office, or Eset is downloading massive updates.  If this is the case, your network activity might be high.

With any luck, once these tasks have been performed for the first time, subsequent boots will not take as long before your system becomes usably-fast.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Keano16
Punch Card
Views: 1,872
Message 3 of 11

IT seems that process CompatTelRunner.exe is "killing" my disc

For 12 minutes disc was at 100%. I looked at the processes using RESOURCE MONITOR.. it seems CompatTelRunner is the problem!
Keano16
Punch Card
Views: 1,865
Message 4 of 11

Update:

It seems disabling this process (from Task Scheduler, according to Google instructions from other people) DIDN'T resolve my problem.

Still first 10 mins of boot time 100% disk usage :/

Any ideas what to do?

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,860
Message 5 of 11

@Keano16 wrote:

It seems disabling this process (from Task Scheduler, according to Google instructions from other people) DIDN'T resolve my problem.   Still first 10 mins of boot time 100% disk usage :/  Any ideas what to do?

Some programs restart automatically after "x" minutes if they are disabled by the user (I guess that is Microsoft trying to be helpful).  When the problem recurred, did you look at "Resource Monitor" to see what was using the disk?  Did that give any clue as to the identity of the program(s) causing the bottleneck?

When I went through the initial Windows 10 setup, I was careful to DISABLE all automatic telemetry and reporting stuff to Microsoft (even system abends).  Did you do that?  Note: if you accept the "quick setup" choices, all of the telemetry is ENABLED.  Also, there have been reports that each time Windows updates are installed, the telemetry is re-enabled.  I don't know whether this is the cause of your problem, but one can never be too paranoid about such things.

There is an tool that disables telemetry and then monitors for Microsoft trying to re-enable it.  This is "Spybot Antibeacon".  Might be worth trying (although I don't yet use it myself, as I mostly use Windows 7).

Keano16
Punch Card
Views: 1,746
Message 6 of 11

GUYS... again me...

My device is still:

• very slow on startup (DISK activity 100% for 5-15 minutes, depends)
  • sensibly slow during work (I sense SLIGHT delay in all actions I do: opening folders, opening files)

Not sure is it related to:

• HDD itself
  • Windows 10 Home (original) itself
  • Combination of my hardware/software

PLAN for tomorrow: create new partition for Windows 8.1 and test.

Problem: This notebook has only drivers for Windows 7. Will it work on Windows 8?

Highlighted
CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,742
Message 7 of 11

@Keano16 wrote:

Problem: This notebook has only drivers for Windows 7. Will it work on Windows 8?

I installed Windows 7 on my 700-15ISK.  I used a Windows 7 SP1 DVD by an indirect method.  After installation, Windows booted and ran "OK", by which I mean the screen, keyboard, and touchpad worked, and Windows did not abend (i.e. no blue screen of death).  However...

Windows "Device Manager" showed that numerous devices were not working, due to missing drivers.  So these all had to be installed one by one (there were 14 separate driver packages required, and 2 separate applications).

I have never used Windows 8, so I don't know whether the install medium is recent enough to include most of the needed drivers (i.e. like Windows 10), or whether it is more like Windows 7 (most drivers missing).

Keano16
Punch Card
Views: 1,728
Message 8 of 11

Thanks for your contribution, as usual.

Actually, for my device 700-17 ISK, official Windows 7 drivers exist and are available for download from Lenovo support site.

The only thing I am wondering will them work on Windows 8.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,719
Message 9 of 11

@Keano16 wrote:

The only thing I am wondering will they work on Windows 8.

I think that the answer probably is: "Some will, some won't".

Example: my 700-15ISK has an NVMe SSD.  Windows 10 provides its own driver for the SSD, but Windows 7 does not include such a driver.  The driver that I eventually found is the Samsung driver, and this driver works on all versions of Windows from 7 upwards.  Drivers for other devices may be similar, and work on 7/8/10.

If no one else has tried Windows 8 or 8.1 on a 700, you will be "boldy going where no man has gone before".

Keano16
Punch Card
Views: 1,680
Message 10 of 11

@Keano16 wrote:

Device is 3 days old... 

i5 proessor

8 gb ram

preinstalled W10

What to do?!

Guys.... AFTER 1 MONTH of struggling with this device I sent it for check-up in service center, as it is under warranty.

I was unable to work normally on the device

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors