cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Draaken
Punch Card
Views: 4,469
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo Ideapad 710S - Great All-Rounder but its Touchpad is Hard to Press (Requires More Force)

Dear Lenovo Community,

I've just bought my Lenovo Ideapad 710S two days ago. Bought the highest-end configuration with 16GB RAM + 512GB PCIE SSD. I got to say I'm absolutely in love with the form factor and its performance. I decided upon this laptop mainly because of its portability and the combination of 16GB RAM + 512GB SSD at less than $2k.

Design

At 1.1kg, it is really light - I can hold in up effortlessly with one arm. At home, I use a Dell monitor (U2715H) which is almost borderless; looking at 710S's edge, it is equally slim and is key to making it look stylish. The matte screen display has very crisp, clear text and is very comfortable to look at.

Performance

Performance wise, there is no complain. It lives up to what it's spec-ed on paper. Every application and operation (e.g. startup, shutdown, boot from sleep) loads at breakneck speeds thanks to its PCIE SSD. I've yet to try running more intensive software e.g. the Adobe suite but at this rate, it looks very promising thus far.

AccuType Keyboard

In my initial impression, I thought the flat keys have really little travel to bottom-out but as I spend more time typing on it, I gradually grew to like the keyboard. It's well spaced-out, typing on it can be very accurate. Key travel is reasonable for fast typists. Only thing is the placement of backspace, enter and shift button at the right side needs some extra time to get used to it as I find they placed more to the right than it is on common keyboards.

Touchpad (Problem)

In my opinion, there is only one downside of this laptop. The touchpad requires more force to register a click than most laptops I've used. In other words, the mechanism is harder to press. Similar experience is posted here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/Lenovo-Ideapad-710s-user-experience-not.... More force is required gradually as it goes from bottom to upper region of the touchpad.

Another issue I face is that with the amount of pressure applied to the touchpad, it travels very deep to the bottom before it clicks as shown in the photo below. I also found out that tcanniz at https://www.reddit.com/r/Lenovo/comments/4ew6ll/lenovo_710s_ideapad_13_ultrabook_lounge/ is facing the same issue. He mentioned that his 710S touchpad "could be pushed slightly down, before having to be pushed further, to actually register a click.".

20160606_150350.jpg

Although this is not a deal-breaker since I can always use my wireless mouse, having a good touchpad is useful from time to time. Apart from the touchpad, I would say this laptop is worth every penny and I am satisfied with my purchase. What I'd like to know is - who else is facing the same touchpad issue?

Back to you Lenovo community. Cheers.

Draaken
Punch Card
Views: 4,406
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo Ideapad 710S - Great All-Rounder but its Touchpad is Hard to Press (Requires More Force)

Good news, I went to Lenovo Service Centre and they confirmed that I held on to a defective unit. I have thus replaced it with a 710S (Silver) that has a touchpad that works as it should be - requires less force to register a click and it doesn't travel all the way to the bottom. Prior to that, the vendor had to open 2 Gold units and found both had defective touchpads (1 of the touchpads couldn't right-click at all). 

So to all who is considering this laptop, don't be disheartened. Just check everything thoroughly before taking it home esp. the touchpad to ensure it clicks fine, it shouldn't have to travel all the way to the bottom of the chassis to register a click. 

Cheers. 

mr_samu
Punch Card
Views: 4,385
Message 3 of 7

Re: Lenovo Ideapad 710S - Great All-Rounder but its Touchpad is Hard to Press (Requires More Force)

Hi thank for your review. I currently have a Dell XPS 13 but plan to return it mainly because of coil whine (and unprecise touchpad + "dynamic backlight").

What I want to ask is: if you put your ear close to the keyboard does your 710s have some sort of coil whine or electrical buzzing noise? What if it is under some load and the fan is spinning? In this review they noticed some buzzing noise: 

"Besides the gentle, yet slightly high-pitched murmur, we can unfortunately hear a kind of humming or buzzing, which was a bit (!) annoying, because it was not always steady. "

Also how is the touchpad; two-finger scrolling, fine movement? 

Thanks!

edit. added link to article. 

Draaken
Punch Card
Views: 4,202
Message 4 of 7

Hello mr_samu,

Under a rather heavy usage (several running applications, filling up RAM), the fans will spin at a sound level that's comparable to all other Lenovo laptops I used to have. It is neither louder nor softer. It is to be noted that under normal usage, the fan is really quiet. I did not notice any "high-pitched humming/buzzing sound" in my unit.

Touchpad is accurate and responds to all the Windows 10 gestures quickly.
mr_samu
Punch Card
Views: 4,197
Message 5 of 7

Hi thanks, good to know. 710s is purchased! 

Ian569
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,123
Message 6 of 7

I love my Ideapad 710s EXCEPT for the half sized right shift key...instead of shifting I hit the arrow up key, which has "stolen its real estate".  My solution to this issue is to remap the arrow up key to become a right shift key.  I downloaded a free application called SharpKeys and it was a simple task.  Now I am a happy camper as this was the one big thing I hated on an otherwise great PC.

Draaken
Punch Card
Views: 3,106
Message 7 of 7

I'm using SharpKeys as well! I disliked the removal of context menu key. So I remaped right-Alt key to it. Smiley Happy All is well.

Top Kudoed Authors