cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SDD-SG
Serial Port
Views: 11,069
Message 1 of 13

Lenovo Ideapad 710s user experience (not a review!)

A quick note to say I am not a professional reviewer, at most an advanced user. I got quite a few PM’s on the product and thought will share my experience. My Config: i5, 1.8 GHZ, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, Home edition. Usable SSD: 190GB (Lenovo uses a 20GB partition for recovery and rest is used by Windows). I would rate this machine 8.0/10 - if they fixed the touch pad and paint it would be 9/10 in my books. 

Best features:

Weight :  Felt lighter and smaller than Macbook air 13: my rating 8.5/10

Price / Performance: loads Photoshop CC loads in 5 secs : 9/10

Battery : whole day out with normal work of 4/5 hours and presentations 8/10

Charging time: 15% to 60% in 50 mins, while continuing to work on the PC:  8/10

Design: Simple approach, thin Bezel, nonslip rubber grip under the chassis: 7/10

Call centre: waiting time and attitude: 8/10

Great form factor: I am leaving my tablet home:  9/10

Ports: 2 USB and 1 thunderbolt port (I bought  a $ 3 thunderbolt to HMDI adapter for presentations) : 9/10.

Spacebar scroll: pressing the pressbar will scroll the page (down only).

Warranty: 2 years compared to Mac or Dell’s 1 year (can vary by geography) 9/10

Needs improvements:

Sound: My Samsung headset from S5, sounds full of bass and body, when plugged in. PC speakers are a bit weak considering how thin it is. 6.5/10

Touch pad accuracy and feel : Gold standard is Macbook. In this PC its sticky and you have to learn the right amount of pressure - especially while three finger scrolling 4/10

Mouse click:  deep travel and stiff – 5/10

Enter key does not work to bring up log in screen – you got to press the mouse click when the screen is locked.

No close fitting case / pouch available as the size is odd – between 12” and 13”

Choice of colour & finish – bright silver or bright gold – matt black not available. Smooth finish prone to scratch. 5/10.

Misleading battery gauge 2/10

Some detailed experience:

Last week my Asus Zen UV32X packed up and I had to get a new notebook as it is my lifeline. I wanted to get the Dell XPS 13 or the Apple Macbook air 12 inch. On reaching the shop, I reviewed a few other models, including the Asus 305, which seemed way too bulky. The Dell was just perfect, but felt a bit heavy and frightfully expensive. That where the sales lady pointed to the Lenovo 710S. It had the right specs – min 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD that I wanted, had a slim bezel, was lighter that the Macbook. But Lenovo? Not sure. Anyway, I ended up buying it.

It’s a lovely machine and I don’t regret it a bit! The colors are not to my liking – the bright silver works to some extent, but looks cheap, the golden is a no no and there is no matt black. The paint work has no protective quote like Asus and you have to be careful how not slide it in with stuff that can scratch (like a spiral note book). My 4 year old Asus never had a scratch and I picked up one in the first week on710s. Now I put it in a plastic sleeve.

The MS windows and other stuff loaded quite easily. The wifi is very fast at 5 GHZ.

The battery is under some kind of electronic lock at start up - it comes alive when you plug in the power for the first time. Rest is quite easy. There was a problem with the battery gauge. The display of ‘time remaining’ on charge was erratic (see the other blog). Any way I ran some simple tests like playing You tube for 1.5 hours with 75% brightness and 50% sound – the power utilisation was acceptable. So I decided to ignore the issue. It charged from 15% to 60% in 50 minutes, while continuing normal work on MS office.

The display is not a Dell or Mac Retina! It’s matt finish and a bit dull compared to others. But its sufficiently bright for most of my work, though in bright ambient light, you got to work at 75% brightness or more.

If I had a choice again what would I buy – probably the Lenovo 710s as I value portability, battery and service support? I will live with the clunky touch pad and mouse!

The charging light blinks till you reach 80% then stays on. I would prefer it to blink all the way to 100%2016-05-13 22.06.25.jpg

You can see how the efficient the charging is - and I kept on using email and browsing during the charge. 

Charge 16% 9.22.jpg

Charge 60% 10.06.jpg

Charge 86% 10.33.jpg

The battery drain test. It drained from 36% to 28% in 23 minutes, all the while playing YouTube at 75% screen brightness and 50% volume

Drain 36% 8.07.jpg

Drain 28% 8.30.jpg

See the scratch after 7 days of usage. I have used Asus UX32A for 45 years in the same leather pouch. Now I got a plastic sleeve for this PC.

Scratch on cover.jpg

The rubber strip under belly - it props the PC when working and doubles up as an excellent non slip grip when hand held.

The rubber strip.jpg

I loaded the Yoshemite desktop of Mac just for fun. It also let me compare the colors to my daughters MacbookAir 13. The 710s lacks vibrance and saturation. I had to increase these in software to come anywhere near the mac display.

Desktop.jpg

anticeon
Paper Tape
Views: 11,030
Message 2 of 13

Re: Lenovo Ideapad 710s user experience (not a review!)

Nice .. just doesnt expect to match macbook thou ...
chankoedo
Paper Tape
Views: 10,999
Message 3 of 13

Great work!

It would be nice, if you could do some comparison-pics between the Mac Book Air and the 710s now speaking about the Display.

So put them next to each other (same desktop background picture) so that we can see the difference in brightness and Saturation in one picture. Smiley Happy

One more question: would you be so kind as to dim the display to 50% and do the YouTube stuff again. (all off (Bluetooth etc), except for wlan of course). I would be interested in the 10%- battery drain so that I can calculate the whole battery life...

SDD-SG
Serial Port
Views: 10,613
Message 4 of 13

Updates today on the 710s display: I calibrated the display using a Spyder display calibrator. There is radical improvment in overall color balance. The overexposed highlights are gone. FYI for those who had the question on the display.

mr_samu
Punch Card
Views: 10,601
Message 5 of 13

Posted this in another thread but got no reply, so posting here now:

Hi thank for your review. I currently have a Dell XPS 13 but plan to return it mainly because of coil whine (and unprecise touchpad + "dynamic backlight").

What I want to ask is: if you put your ear close to the keyboard does your 710s have some sort of coil whine or electrical buzzing noise? What if it is under some load and the fan is spinning? In this review they noticed some buzzing noise: 

"Besides the gentle, yet slightly high-pitched murmur, we can unfortunately hear a kind of humming or buzzing, which was a bit (!) annoying, because it was not always steady. "

Also how is the touchpad; two-finger scrolling, fine movement? 

Thanks!

SDD-SG
Serial Port
Views: 10,580
Message 6 of 13

Hi

1. No buzzing / humming on my piece.

2. fan runs rarely - when it does its loud.

3. Track pad is the worst feature of this great notebook - IMHO. Its is difficult to get accuracy when desiging PPT slides - you would be better off using a mouse. I read somewhere that few trackpads are being replaced by lenovo FOC - may be mine is one of those that needs attention.

JASM
What's DOS?
Views: 10,374
Message 7 of 13

Hi SDD-SG. Thanks for your review. Would you mind sharing your calibration settings you ended up with? Thanks.
dr_nipun
Paper Tape
Views: 10,128
Message 8 of 13

Hi SDD-SG, thank you so much for sharing your personal experience. I am planning to switch from my Acer Aspire R7-572G to another one. That onw was a 15 inch laptop, great for multimedia. I actually enjoyed watching movies and youtube on this machine a lot. That laptop changed my idea of laptops cannot have a good audible speaker on the first place. Now, I have looked the review of 710s and they also gave the same markings for the speakers as u did here. Now, can you please share any video of these speakers while playing. It will be of great help. This is one of my primary concers for this laptop.

Oh and I think u have one typing mistake in your initial review. U mentioned a thunderbolt port, which I am sure u wanted to mean a miniHDMI port. :-) 

Thanks again and please consider my request.

SDD-SG
Serial Port
Views: 10,119
Message 9 of 13

Hi JASM, once you use a thrid party device like Spyder, it will install a software on your laprop and take you through a specific set of steps to calibrate the display. This is used by photoshop users. You can get more details here: http://spyder.datacolor.com/display-calibration/

lenbau
What's DOS?
Views: 9,784
Message 10 of 13

Hey, I just ordered my 710s today!! Really glad to hear you've had a great experience with it.

I'm just wondering what kind of case/sleeve you are using with it? Do you know how the laptop fits in standard 13" sleeves since it has no side bezel?

Top Kudoed Authors