Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LENOVOLINDAB
Paper Tape
Views: 338
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo ideapad 100 battery suspending after 5 minutes on power

Hi, 

Wondering if anyone can help. My Lenovo ideapad 100 suspends the computer after 5 minutes of inactivity (while pugged in), despite the power settings at 60 minutes on power and 20 minutes on battery.  I don't know why, but it has only started doing this in the last few weeks. Has there been a Windows 10 update or something that would mess with the settings? 

But more importantly, what can I do to fix this? I need to be able to review work without my screen going blank after this short period of time. 

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 279
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo ideapad 100 battery suspending after 5 minutes on power

@LENOVOLINDAB wrote:

My Lenovo ideapad 100 suspends the computer after 5 minutes of inactivity (while pugged in), despite the power settings at 60 minutes on power and 20 minutes on battery.

Windows 10 has various power-saving settings that are of interest:

(1) Turn off the display after "x" minutes.

(2) Sleep the system after "y" minutes.

(3) Hibernate the system after "z" minutes.

Each of these can have separate settings for "on battery" and "when plugged in".  It sounds as though you have the sleep timeout set to 60 minutes (plugged in) and 20 minutes (battery), but the display timeout set to 5 minutes.

There are some additional display settings for controlling screen brightness.  All of these settings are specified in the power plan, but you will need to go to "Advanced Settings" in order to be able to see and change them all; click:

Start -> Settings -> System -> Power & sleep ...

-> Additional power settings -> Change plan settings ...

-> Change advanced power settings

The sleep and hibernation settings are in the "Sleep" category, and the various display settings are in the "Display" category.  Set the display settings as appropriate for your requirements, but I would suggest enabling both sleep and hibernation, with the hibernation timeout being longer than the sleep timeout.  Then the power saving will proceed as follows:

System idle -> turn off screen -> sleep the system ...

-> hibernate the system

So you might have:

Turn off screen = 5 min

Sleep = 15 min

Hibernate = 60 min

In this way, the system will sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity, but then hibernate after 60 minutes of inactivity.  Sleep still consumes power, so you should not use it for extended periods of time.  Enabling hibernation prevents that.  Hibernation consumes the same power as a switched-off system (it is not zero, but it is extremely small).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

LENOVOLINDAB
Paper Tape
Views: 274
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for your advice, but I don't think that is the problem.  I've taken some screenshots, are you able to review based on your advice?power.GIFpower2.GIFPower3.GIFPower4.GIF

LENOVOLINDAB
Paper Tape
Views: 273
Message 4 of 7

I also ran a battery report today, you can see it is getting to full charge (its on power) but its actually shutting down the computer into sleep mode. It's doing this every five minutes. I have to press my computer button (moving the mouse etc doesn't work) and it loads the login in (lock screen) where I have to type my password to get back into my computer.  I can walk away for 5 minutes and have to log back in every time....

LENOVOLINDAB
Paper Tape
Views: 269
Message 5 of 7

I think I've found the solution, I followed these instructions (https://superuser.com/questions/1019043/windows-10-sleeps-before-set-time) and the hidden power option became available to me to change. It was set at 2 minutes. Since I've changed it to 30 minutes, i just left my computer alone for 7 minutes and it hasn't done gone to sleep! Hoping this has fixed the problem, but why on earth would Microsoft hide an important setting like that? and why aren't more people having problems with it? 

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 262
Message 6 of 7

@LENOVOLINDAB wrote:

its actually shutting down the computer into sleep mode ... I have to press my computer button and it loads the login in (lock screen) where I have to type my password to get back into my computer.

Thank you for posting the screen images.  It makes it quite clear what settings you are using, and they all look correct to me!

Hmm, this is a bit of a puzzle.  I think that the providers of the graphics processors (Intel, Nvidia, AMD) also provide customisation tools, and some of those have separate control over power saving.  I don't know what graphics your laptop has, but look to see if you have on your system and Intel utility (for the integrated graphics), and an Nvidia or AMD utility (for the discrete graphics card, if you have one).  Go through their panels carefully, to see if you can find any sort of power-saving setting.

I am not convinced that this is the solution, as it is not really consistent with the system sleeping, but I have no other ideas.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 260
Message 7 of 7

@LENOVOLINDAB wrote:

I think I've found the solution, I followed these instructions (https://superuser.com/questions/1019043/windows-10-sleeps-before-set-time) and the hidden power option became available to me to change. It was set at 2 minutes.

Excellent!  Thank you for reporting that.  I must add it to my list of "things to remember".

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors