Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chongo958
Paper Tape
Views: 904
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo ideapad 500 15isk screen freeze and audio buzz

I have lately been encountering some problems in which my lenovo laptop's screen would completely freeze up with no response to inputs afterwards. An intense buzzing sound can be heard from my headphones when this happens. this usually happens when i am gaming and requires me to force shut down but I do not recall this happening before. any ideas of what's wrong?

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 898
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo ideapad 500 15isk screen freeze and audio buzz

Well first of I would run a disk check since it has been hanging, 

Right click on Start, select Command Prompt (Admin) and in the command windows type: chkdsk /f   Press Enter and type Y to schedule the scan for the next boot, and then restart the system.

Once that is complete I would check for an updated video driver at support.lenvo.com

Does it only occur on a particular game, or just any game?    

If just one game, have you checked the game boards for anyone else having that issue?      

Also check to make sure your laptops vents are clear of dust, and use a Vacuum to clean them if needed.

chongo958
Paper Tape
Views: 878
Message 3 of 7

I have run a disk check and there seems to be no problems. I also have the latest updates of all video drivers. It does not only happen with gaming. When I run the lenovo comprehensive test from the solution center app it would sometimes freeze as well.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 867
Message 4 of 7

What OS are you running   8.1?  10?

When it freezes, is it writing a %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP  (e.g. C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP) file?

It would not hurt to run a System File Check (SFC) scan of your system just to make sure all your Windows System files are in order if you have not already

How to run an SFC scan

• From a Command Prompt (Admin) type:   sfc /scannow   and press enter.

Let the scan run till complete, even it if does appear to pause, which it will do from time to time while working.

You should get one of three results.

• "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations" (If you get this message, then system file corruption was not your problem)
  • "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.   Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log" (If you get this message, then your problem might have been resolved)
  • Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log   If you get the message below, and are running Windows 8.1 or 10, then you will need to run DISM to first repair the Windows Component Store, and then run an SFC scan again to repair the files that it could not fix earlier

How to run DISM (Windows 8.x and 10)

Note:  An Internet Connection is required to run DISM

• From a Command Prompt (Admin) type:  DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth  and press Enter

Once DISM completes, you must run another SFC scan to repair files that the SFC scan was previously unable to repair.

If you are running Windows 7, you must run the System Update Readiness Tool instead of DISM

Good Luck!

chongo958
Paper Tape
Views: 856
Message 5 of 7

The OS is Windows 10. I ran the scan and there does not seem to be any integrity violations. Perhaps this is an issue with overheating. 

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 851
Message 6 of 7

It could be, have you tried using a vacuum to clean the vents?     Heat will cause lots of problems, and computers are excellent dust magnets.  

chongo958
Paper Tape
Views: 846
Message 7 of 7

Is it safe to use a vacuum? How would I go about doing so, placing the vacuum on the open end of the laptop where the heat is exhausted?

Top Kudoed Authors