Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sean700
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,328
Message 11 of 35

Ideapad 700 15ISK broken hinge

I've had my Ideapad for 10 months or so now. Well looked after, no dents or marks. It's stored in a protected padded case. 

One day I open the screen and a loud crack. A screw goes flying out and the plastic frame is separated.

I send it in for repair and Lenovo are refusing to cover it under warranty due to physical damage.

Said damage is inside of the frame where the hinge is. 

I'm trying to dispute that this damage is caused by the hinge breaking, the latop is in perfect condition otherwise. I'm soo frustrated as I know i've looked after the latop. I'm looking at going to an omudsman/trading standards. It's only £74 to fix, but I'm just disgusted with the customer service.

I get a repeated reply reply saying external damage to laptop, so not covered. Even though there is no external damage theres just a mark to the inside where the hinge broke.

Any help here?  I've seen another post about the hinge broken on same model on this forum, I really do think they are designed/built poorly.

Thanks

Mod's Edit: Merged this thread with existing discussion on the hinge issue.

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 1,291
Message 12 of 35

Re: Ideapad 700 15ISK broken hinge

Not surprised, I do not know of any PC maker who covers hinges that far into warranty anymore. Had a couple notebooks from HP that had hinge issues and they were not supportive on covering repairs. So I deffinately sympathise with you that my own expectation is a hinge should last as long as the notebook. Up until a few years ago I never had a single hinge problem. Now this seems to happen with more frequency with many PC makers. 

Ranit07
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,156
Message 13 of 35

I have experienced the same issue of broken hinge and upon searching just realised that other people have experienced similar issue which to me appears like a manufacturing/design defect so even if we will get this repaired it may happen again.

I am also thinking of taking this up with the respective consumer protection body .

Do share your views.

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 1,141
Message 14 of 35

I don't think any PC makers do much in terms of warranty on broken hinges. At least in my experience they have all been denied and said it was a wearable item not subject to a warranty claim. 

Ranit07
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,124
Message 15 of 35

If its a manufacturing defect then they must fix it and invest in improving the design and provide solution to existing customers.  This can be clearly evidenced from google search there are other customerexperiencing the same issue.

Geo9
Paper Tape
Views: 823
Message 16 of 35

Re: Lenovo ideapad 700-15ISK HINGE

I Have the same Problem, my laptop is still under warranty but lenovo is saying it isn't covered.

Mod's Edit: Posting edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

nur14
What's DOS?
Views: 794
Message 17 of 35

After 1 month of use at night i felt hinge getting stuck and in the morning when i open the lid hinge was broken and screw came out. But thanks to god that lenovo accepted it under warranty and i got it repaired for free of cost within 1 week of time. But now i am afraid always opening the lid. This is severe manufacturer fault. 

paddywren4
What's DOS?
Views: 620
Message 18 of 35

Exact same thing happened to my ideapad 700. Practically faulty engineering.
Rehman5000
What's DOS?
Views: 485
Message 19 of 35

It is very clear that this is a manufacturing defect. I am utterly disapointed that they are keeping their mouths shut about this.

We brought TWO lenovo Y700 17-inch laptops. It is the same story as with everyone posting in this thread; one of the laptop's hinges snapped.

abhishek2271
Paper Tape
Views: 346
Message 20 of 35

Re: Tight/Broken Hinge on Ideapad 700 15ISK

Thanks for the reply. I did a quick search and people do have the same problem and the fix seems to be sending it to Lenovo or a repair shop to fix. I had another Lenovo ultrabook before this and it had the same problem but at the time I thought it was due to my mishandling or someone might have broken it but now since this problem appeared out of nowhere I am sure that this is a build problem. I have not dropped or mishandled it in any way. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors