Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Just_aguy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,569
Message 1 of 14

Lenovo ideapad 700 screen turns black/ hang after moments of usage

Hi all, this is my first time posting into the forum and I would like to apologise if i have made some mistakes  anywhere so please bear with me.

The laptop screen turns black after moments of usage and after a few days of using it the problem slowly disappears on its own.

After two weeks, I reset my laptop and the problems came back. The screen turns black and all the  activity going on behind stopped instantly. I searched for solutions anywhere and I can't find one, the only thing i can do is holding the power button on and off again. Setting the display to never sleep and turning on screensavers won't solve the problem either. This problem frustrates me very much. Does anyone else have this kind of problem? If so, anyone has any solution regarding this problem? I would appreciate it greatly if there's any solution

jstew888
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,561
Message 2 of 14

Re: Lenovo ideapad 700 screen turns black/ hang after moments of usage

I am having this problem with the Edge 2-1580 when running on battery power.  Screen shuts off after 15 - 45 minutes of use and I need to hard reset by holding power button.  Seems like a lot of people with different models are having this problem, but no solutions.  I've tried updating BIOS, drivers, factory resetting, adjusting power settings, all to no avail.  I tried chatting with live support last night and "Chris" had me download the Lenovo Solution Center program and do a hardware scan but of course the scan came back with no problems.  I can't believe with so many people having this problem that Lenovo hasn't come out with a solution.  Sorry I can't help more, but I hope you find an answer!

Just_aguy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,555
Message 3 of 14

The funny thing about this problem is that my screen wouldn't go black when i was playing video games. It only happens when I was just casually using it. Have you tried bringing it to lenovo service centres for help? I regretted not doing it earlier as I could have switched for another laptop of the same model. I'll bring this laptop to the service centre if there's no solution posted on the next 12 hours. If there is one, I'll be sure to update it on here
jstew888
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,551
Message 4 of 14

No, I did bring it back to Best Buy where I bought it and the "Geek Squad" claimed that they "ran diagnostics" and everything checked out.  They said that they "tweaked a few power settings" and then ran it on battery power all day long and the problem did not occur.  So I took the laptop back, turned it on in my car on the way home and sure enough, before I even got home the screen blanked on me.  I took it back and the Geek Squad guy said they could send it back to Lenovo but if there was no problem found they would charge me $35.  I decided to try fixing it myself first because I have this feeling that if I do send it in somehow magically it will work perfectly and they'll charge me.

It is crazy though how many people are having this problem.  You can go through the forums and find thread after thread about the exact same problem and nobody is getting solutions.  I'm gonna keep trying though, definitely post if you find a solution.

Just_aguy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,480
Message 5 of 14

Hey man, I sent mine to the lenovo service centre and have got it back now. According to them, the motherboard has some problems and they decided to replace it. So far there isn't any problem yet. I do think you should send it to the service centres again and ask them to take a look at the motherboard. It could have the same problem as mine. Hope your laptop works again, cheers

xudh2003
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,275
Message 6 of 14

I have exactly the same problem. I just bought this machine last week and received it a couple of days ago. Ever since I booted it up the first time, it's been freezing randomly from time to time.  I updated all the software I could think of to the latest. I ran the Lenovo diagnotics tools, and couldn't find a problem.

The msinfo32 shows System Model "80RU", and the BIOS Version/Date is E5CN52WW, 4/28/2016. The version seems to be the latest, but the date seems a bit old, so I downloaded another e5cn52ww.exe from lenovo website and ran it, but it said BIOS version is the same, can't update. 

I'm running out of option now. Searched around on this forum, and found many people having this issue but there really didn't seem to be a good solution. What's going on Lenovo?

lruth
Punch Card
Views: 2,083
Message 7 of 14

Pledgeduster
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,020
Message 8 of 14

Just got my Lenovo ideapad 700 (i7 16Gb model) about a week ago and I'm struggling with the same issue. Sometimes the laptop will work fine for several hours and other times it'll keep turning black and freezing up for no apparenent reason. 

I did open it up to add an SSD to the available slot and move the operating system to it, but I don't see how this would cause a problem, ive even been through every device in device manager to check for driver updates too.

Mod's Edit: This previously removed post returned to show continuity of discussion.

Highlighted
Pledgeduster
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,054
Message 9 of 14

I bought this laptop about a week ago, and for the most part I love it. Unfortunately though, I've been experience an annoying black screen freeze for no apparent reason. 

Some days the laptop will work fine for several hours and other days it'll keep turning black and freezing up for no apparenent reason every 15 or so minutes.

I did open it up to add an SSD to the available slot and move the operating system to it, but I don't see how this would cause a problem, ive even been through every device in the device manager to check for driver and bios updates too.

Does anyone know a solution? What even are my options if it's hardware related?

processor: i7 6300hq

ram: 16GB

graphics: Nvidia gtx 950m

Mod's Edit: Merged this post with an existing discussion the OP joined.  Multiple postings only splinter the discussion. 

Pledgeduster
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,012
Message 10 of 14

@Pledgeduster wrote:

I bought this laptop about a week ago, and for the most part I love it. Unfortunately though, I've been experience an annoying black screen freeze for no apparent reason. 

Some days the laptop will work fine for several hours and other days it'll keep turning black and freezing up for no apparenent reason every 15 or so minutes.

I did open it up to add an SSD to the available slot and move the operating system to it, but I don't see how this would cause a problem, ive even been through every device in the device manager to check for driver and bios updates too.

Does anyone know a solution? What even are my options if it's hardware related?

processor: i7 6300hq

ram: 16GB

graphics: Nvidia gtx 950m

Mod's Edit: Merged this post with an existing discussion the OP joined.  Multiple postings only splinter the discussion. 

Why merge me with a dead post that's already marked as 'solved' despite no actual resolution? There's splintering discussion and then there's burying it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors