Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bakha_dauirzhan
Paper Tape
Views: 14,155
Message 1 of 15

Lenovo ideapad 710s fan noise and heat problem

Hello everyone, I've recently bought a brand new ideapad 710s and I'm having some issues with it. The problem is that the laptop's fan is making loud noises and it is heating up real fast even though I don't play games or use softwares that might pressure the laptop. Basiscally, I use it for microsoft office and internet surfing. Did anyone have the same problem? How could I solve this issue? Any help will be appreciated.

mr_samu
Punch Card
Views: 14,004
Message 2 of 15

Re: Lenovo ideapad 710s fan noise and heat problem

I have no problem with temperature, ran a 5 min CPU stress test and never got over 70 celsius, but I agree the fan kicks in too fast and long. The right fan turns off fast enough (20 sec), but the left one can take 10 min+ before turning off completely. This is even after turning to "power saver" mode in settings, and the CPU core stays stable at 38-40 celsius.

The fan also kick in too quickly while doing light tasks (surfing, streaming), with the same problem of not turning off. Kinda seems like they do too good a job, would not mind a bit warmer PC if it is noiseless. Hopefully a BIOS update can fix this if Lenovo becomes aware of the problem.

In comparison my previous Dell XPS 13 (i7, Iris 540) could get as warm as 90 celsius, and under low load the fan would not kick in, or just for a short while. 

Anil22
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,957
Message 3 of 15

Hello all,

I had this problem and I've fixed it!!!! And tech support didn't help.

I downloaded a new drivers through the support website and that solved the issue. My PC was driving me bonkers with a crazy loud fan,  and now it's much much quieter. Go to Lenovo>Support>Drivers and Software. On my Ideapad 510-15SK, the three drivers I updated were:

1. Conexant Audio Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - Notebook (release date 6/28)

2. Energy Management Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - Notebook (release date 6/28) I suspect that this is the one you really need, but I updated all three.

3. Lenovo Utility for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit), Windows 10 (32-bit, 64-bit) - Notebook (release date 6/28)

I hope that this helps some of you. Please let me know in in this thread.

mr_samu
Punch Card
Views: 13,947
Message 4 of 15

Hi Anil22,

I updated the Energy Management Driver but did not notice any difference. Just to put some numbers to show, here are a few test results I did with Intel Extreme Tuning Utility CPU stress test. 

Power saver mode:

30 sec stress. 52 sec to fan off
     1 min stress, 1.30 min to  fan off

High performance mode:
     1 min stress. 13.24 min to fan off
     30 sec stress, 7.52 to fan off

Balanced mode:
     30 sec stress. 1.19 to fan off

This was from a fresh boot, AC unplugged, stock plan settings (for Power Options). Fan turns on when CPU temp > ~55 celsius, generally turns off around 36. It takes less than 30 sec to go from 60 celsius to 42 for all scenarios, then 30 sec to get to ~37. Notice this was purely a test of how fast the fan turns off, if you are doing other things it might not turn off as quickly.. 

Anil22
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,927
Message 5 of 15

That seems like an awfully long time for the fan to turn off. Did you update all three drivers by any chance? Is it the same with the system plugged in? Also, the air vents for the laptops are on the bottom -- do you have the laptop on a hard surface like a desk? If it's on a cloth surface you might not have optimal air circulation.

I'm sorry to ask so many questions that may seem silly -- it may very well be that you have a hardware issue. Is your PC still under warranty/have you been able to consult tech support? I take it this isn't a very old PC right?

mr_samu
Punch Card
Views: 13,914
Message 6 of 15

Yes except the audio driver which is not updated for the 710s. No difference (except in power saver mode where the TDP is higher when charging..). Tested flat on a table. 

I am under the impression that it is not a hardware issue, the PC have no problem registering the CPU heat and fan turn on always at 55 degree celsius.. but fail to turn off as quickly as I'd like.

If anyone else with an Ideapad 710s could write their experience with the fan, it could help me decide if it's something worth contact support for! Thanks.

mv2
What's DOS?
Views: 13,348
Message 7 of 15

The Energy Management Driver link goes to a dead page (page not found). How can I find it?
mv2
What's DOS?
Views: 13,345
Message 8 of 15

Also, what do these drivers do? Sorry, I am not a techie. I searched and found two similar named drivers. Which one should I download and anything else has to be done after downloading? 1) Energy Manager and Flight Mode Driver for Windows 10 2) Lenovo Power Management Driver for Windows 10 (32-bit, 64-bit) - Laptop
camellyx
Paper Tape
Views: 11,800
Message 9 of 15

Hi Samu,

Try this out: https://github.com/hirschmann/nbfc/releases

I have been using nbfc on a different lenovo laptop, it has been working awesome for 4 years.

Nbfs always keeps fan speed low. Now the noise only kicks in when the temperature reaches 90C.

I wish Lenovo can do a better job at fan speed control next time.

Vixie
What's DOS?
Views: 10,488
Message 10 of 15

how did you get notebook fan control to work with the lenovo 710s?????? when i download it i cant see my model anywhere in the model config drop down..... if you know how to get it to work with the 710s please tell me. My model is 710s-13IKB 80VQ.

i have updated all the drivers even the bios one and still the fan is running while using word/notepad

Top Kudoed Authors