Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SaifulIslam
Paper Tape
Views: 1,627
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo ideapad 720s 15ikb 81ac Dual external monitor

I have a Lenovo ideapad 720s 15ikb 81ac. I want to connect to external independent monitor. These 2 monitor should extend my Laptop display. How can i do that? My laptop has 2 USB-C port only 1 with Thunderbolt. I tried connecting 2 usb-c to hdmi adapter only 1 monitor works. Is the Lenevo Lenevo USB-C Dock will solve my problem? 

TERPS2002
Paper Tape
Views: 1,500
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo ideapad 720s 15ikb 81ac Dual external monitor

I bought the same Lenovo ideapad 720s 15ikb 81ac laptop about a week ago from Costco. The main reason why I bought it was for the two USB Type-C ports.  I have the same issue, only one USB Type-C Port works with a monitor, the Thunderbolt enabled one.  If this is the case, I may have to being this laptop back.  How can a premium laptop like this only have one working monitor port??????? NO, I do not want to buy/use a Thunderbolt dock to drive two monitors through the same port. 

Ctdavis
Paper Tape
Views: 1,428
Message 3 of 5

I have tried both the thunderbolt 3 doc and also the usb-c dock connected to my ideapad 720s 15 on the thunderbolt port to successfully drive two 1920x1200 monitors using the DisplayPort outputs.

The power button is not functional on the 720s 15 with either dock, so you have to use the power button on the ideapad. Neither dock will charge the ideapad over usb c.

I recommend installing the dock drivers before connecting the dock (both the usb-c and thunderbolt3 dock use the same installer.) The thunderbolt doc was functional without installing the driver but I could not use the USB ports on the usb-c dock until I installed the driver and removed and re-added the dock from device manager. 

TERPS2002
Paper Tape
Views: 1,407
Message 4 of 5

Ctdavis,

When you mean "usb doc" or "Thunderbolt Doc," do you mean you just connected a cable?  If so, which cable did you use?  If you used a doc, that'e really disspointing  for me because we should be able to use the non thunderbolt port as a monitor port.  Which model did you use as a docking statiton? (If you used one).  I hear those are expensive. 

Thanks
Ctdavis
Paper Tape
Views: 1,401
Message 5 of 5

I used the Lenovo docks. Usb-c and thinderbolt 3 models. 

I did not have any luck connecting multiple monitors without the dock. 

Yes they are expensive. I picked up a usb-c Dock used for $50 though. 

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors