Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Benji96
Bit Torrent
Views: 188
Message 141 of 147

Re: M.2 SSD OPTIONS FOR IDEAPAD 700 15ISK

Is your SSD under a metallic EMI shield? If so, connect the SSD with a heat transferring pad to the EMI shield, this should distribute the heat more evenly or even allow it to run slightly cooler.

Did I/anybody else help you? Give a Kudo!
Did a post solve your problem? Set the post as solution!

Lenovo Yoga 530-14ARR (81H9003VGE)
MZain
Fanfold Paper
Views: 178
Message 142 of 147

Hi Srecko

Awoesome idea .. We've to think out of the box with this model ... there was an old famous issue with its keyboard where guys tried to blow up bunch of ideas unitl Lenovo realized it has to intervene a few months later .

You could also try SSD heatsinks, or laptops cooling pads could have some effect.

Thank you

Highlighted
Benji96
Bit Torrent
Views: 175
Message 143 of 147

I don't know what turns essentially destroying your device into a good idea. Cooling pads are also useless since they try to blow air into tiny slits. The internal fans of your laptop don't produce infinite airflow, so that would be of no use. Plus, mostly the SSD is away from the venting, so blowing air just on the bottom of the device wouldn't reduce the SSDs temperature.

NanoPP
Fanfold Paper
Views: 162
Message 144 of 147

Hi! First of all thanks for you answer!

This is the situation, I´m from Argentina, so wherever I buy the SSD, I won´t have any chance of giving it back and have a refound if the SSD doesn´t work on my laptop. So, I have to go for sure with some drive that I´m 100% convinced that will work. I saw that pretty much every Samsung device work, from the 860 up to the 970 lines(either EVO and PRO version). What I´m not really sure is if the EVO PLUS will work, because it is a "recently" launched device and the last BIOS upgrade is not that recent.

Watching my options (and considering my budget) I'm between the Crucial MX500, the Samsung 860 EVO, the Samsung SM961 and the Adata XPG SX8200. Finally, after a LONG reserch I think I will go for the Adata XPG SX8200, since it has the highest speeds of all the devices I considered, and it has a very rasoneable price. 

So, as I have read A LOT about the compatibles SSD´s, here I leave  a list of the devices I have read that actually work on the IP 700. 

-Samsung 850 EVO

-Samsung 960 EVO and PRO

-Samsung 950 EVO and PRO

-Samsung 970 EVO

-Samsung PM961

-Samsung SM951

-Crucial MX300

-Crucial MX500

-Intel 600p

-Adata XPG SX8200

I hope it will be useful for someone else.

Finally, if anyone like to give some opinion about my choice, I will appreciate it.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 150
Message 145 of 147

@Benji96 wrote:

NVMe SSDs have more performance and are significantly smaller, so they are bound to get hotter than a regular SATA SSD.

The 700-15ISK is from the era when the M.2 socket supported both NVMe M.2 SSDs and SATA M.2 SSDs. Note that current Lenovo laptops with M.2 sockets support only NVMe.

SATA M.2 SSDs are cheaper than NVMe, and produce less heat than NVMe. They are of course also slower than NVMe, but (in my view) plenty fast enough for most people. I would expect that a SATA M.2 SSD has a speed similar to a conventional 2.5 inch SATA SSD.

So a choice for the original poster would be to buy a SATA M.2 SSD instead of an NVMe M.2 SSD.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Yannzerodeux
What's DOS?
Views: 146
Message 146 of 147

I use a crucial mx500 1tB in my id700, it works perfectly ;-)

Benji96
Bit Torrent
Views: 143
Message 147 of 147

Well, I have been dealing with computers for 16 years, so I know very well what is up with these Smiley Very Happy

Of course SATA SSDs are slower and produce less heat, yet they will still produce more heat than a regular 2,5" SATA SSD as they are significantly smaller and they still have to fit the same controller (and even on SATA SSDs, you'll have pretty fast controllers). It is correct that SATA M.2 SSDs stay cooler than M.2 NVMe SSDs, the difference is not that huge though. By the way, it is not an "era" thing how the socket looks, it is still common in devices with more mechanical/2,5" storage than PCIe storage to still have the B+M-Key slot. My Yoga 530 and the corresponding Toshiba BG3 PCIe SSD still use that slot, and the device has been released at the end of 2017.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors