Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Melankton
Paper Tape
Views: 598
Message 121 of 130

Re: M.2 SSD OPTIONS FOR IDEAPAD 700 15ISK

Hello everyone, 

I need a little bit of help. I am thinking to buy a M2 ssd 1tb. Does anybody have experience with this two SSD-s:

1. SanDisk SSD Extreme PRO M2 SDSSDXPM2-1T00-G25 1TB

2. 1000GB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 32Gb/s 3D-NAND TLC (MZ-V7E1T0BW)

Is it easy to install? And how does the installation works?

I appreciate any help,

thank you guys

wordsm1th
Paper Tape
Views: 579
Message 122 of 130

Considering a minor upgrade to overcome to the long boot times, would the WD M.2 SSD WDS240G2G0B SATA interface model be compatible?

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 570
Message 123 of 130

@wordsm1th wrote:

would the WD M.2 SSD WDS240G2G0B SATA interface model be compatible?

If you look in the "Hardware Maintenance Manual" (HMM) for the 700-15ISK, you will see in the "Parts Listing" section that only NVMe PCIe disks are listed for the M.2 slot.  The 700-15ISK may also support SATA disks in the M.2 slot, but this is unclear.  It is allegedly true, but the Lenovo documentation is silent on this topic.

If you decide to risk buying a SATA M.2 disk, please let us know the outcome -- either success (it works) or failure (it doesn't work).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

wordsm1th
Paper Tape
Views: 535
Message 124 of 130

Good news: My WD M.2 SSD WDS240G2G0B SATA interface was detected by the laptop, and I was able to successfully install windows on it. Here is what I did

1. Created a bootable usb disk with Windows Media Creator

2. Installed the WD M.2 ssd

3. Booted into my existing windows install to see if the ssd was recognised, I was able to see it under Disk Manager but did not initialize

4. Shut down laptop, used novo button to chose boot menu and selected the usb disk

5. Completed the installation, the difference in speed is huge even though I did not chose the fastest ssd around.

Now, the laptop boots into the new installation on the ssd by default. 

The new challenge:

1. Even if I go to the boot menu, and select the earlier windows instance on the HD, it does not boot, comes to the new installation

2. How do I make sure I clear the 1 TB original disk to other use (remove that Widnows install instance (without impacting my boot options)

3. Install all the necessary lenovo drivers on the new instance of windows (Edit: Trying from the Lenovo support page)0

Edit 4: The RAM allocation seems problematic, with 5.7 GB shown as Hardware reserved and only 2.3  usable

Thank you!

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 523
Message 125 of 130

@wordsm1th wrote:

Good news: My WD M.2 SSD WDS240G2G0B SATA interface was detected by the laptop, and I was able to successfully install windows on it  ...  How do I make sure I clear the 1 TB original disk to other use (remove that Windows install instance (without impacting my boot options)  ...  The RAM allocation seems problematic, with 5.7 GB shown as Hardware reserved and only 2.3  usable

Thank you for posting back and confirming the accepted wisdom that SATA M.2 disks are supported on the 700-15ISK.  (Sadly, newer Lenovo laptops support only PCI-E M.2 disks.)

When you installed Windows on the SSD, there is a chance that the installer noticed the existing Windows installation on the HDD, and as a result decided to use the EFI partition on the HDD.  The significance of this is that you must not delete the EFI partition or remove the HDD, as this will stop the laptop booting.  The very start of the boot process might be marginally slower (since it first has to access the HDD), but I don't think that you would notice the difference.

However, a cleaner setup is to have the EFI partition on the SSD, as then you are not dependent on the HDD being present and still working.  I don't know of any way to move the EFI partition from one disk to another.  So the simplest procedure is to disconnect the HDD, and then re-install Windows on the SSD.  This will force Windows to create the EFI partition on the SSD.  Once installation is complete, you can reconnect the HDD and delete all of the partitions on it.

The size of the hardware reserved RAM is too big.  Someone else had this problem (with a different model laptop); see this thread:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/Legion-Y520-Hardware-Reserved-RAM/m-p/4128941

wordsm1th
Paper Tape
Views: 501
Message 126 of 130

Updates:

1. The RAM issue resolved itself as I installed the drivers from Lenovo support page. Cannot say which specific driver/installation did this.

2. Based on the suggestions in the thread, I removed the hdd, reinstalled windows on ssd, tested for it to boot properly into windows, plugged hdd back in.

Current challenge

1. When I chose the boot menu option as the hdd, it shows a blue screen of error with multiple options.

2. Lenovo Onekey recovery could be installed on the ssd (new windows) but it did not initiate.

3. What is a safe way to format/erase the partitions on hdd now to keep it for future use.

4. Any other tests that I need to perform to make sure that the installation of window on ssd is future proof now?

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 488
Message 127 of 130

@wordsm1th wrote:

1. When I chose the boot menu option as the hdd, it shows a blue screen of error with multiple options.

I think that this is to be expected.  The EFI partition on the SSD does not contain any definition for the Windows 10 on the HDD (since the HDD was not connected when you re-installed on the SSD).

If you wanted to keep a bootable Windows 10 on the HDD for use in an emergency, you would need to re-install Windows on the HDD, but with the SSD still connected.

Alternatively, if you enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that the HDD is first again, the Windows on the HDD should boot (using the EFI partition on the HDD), but then of course the Windows on the SSD won't boot.

@wordsm1th wrote:

2. Lenovo Onekey recovery could be installed on the ssd (new windows) but it did not initiate.

Lenovo "One-Key Recovery" is an extremely restrictive program.  If you change the size or location of any partition, One-Key Recovery no longer works.  If the SSD were an exact image of the HDD, then One-Key Recovery might work.  But your SSD is probably smaller than the HDD.  My view: One-Key Recovery is not worth keeping.

Don't confuse One-Key Recovery with Windows own Recovery partition, which Windows uses to repair damaged operating-system partitions.  The re-install on the SSD should have created a Windows Recovery partition on the SSD, so keep that.

@wordsm1th wrote:

3. What is a safe way to format/erase the partitions on hdd now to keep it for future use.

Boot Windows on the SSD, and go to "Disk Management".  It should show both disks (the SSD and the HDD).  Delete all of the partitions on the HDD.  Then repartition it and format it as you want.  As the HDD is not the boot disk, I think that Windows should allow you to delete the EFI partition and the Microsoft Reserved partition.  If it does not permit this, you will need to use an independent disk management tool.  (The one that I use will do this, but it is not freeware, so I won't suggest it.)

@wordsm1th wrote:

4. Any other tests that I need to perform to make sure that the installation of window on ssd is future proof now?

I would always recommend using a disk imaging tool to backup the SSD partitions to an external USB disk.  Try to get into the habit of doing this at regular intervals -- weekly or monthly perhaps. There are various freeware disk imaging tools, although I have not used them myself.  Use a search engine to look for free disk imaging tools and then browse some of the suggestions for one that you like.

Beristain
What's DOS?
Views: 402
Message 128 of 130

Does it fit correctly? I've see that the 970 evo has more height 

PM951 is .9 x 3.1 x .1 in

970 is .9 x 3.1 x .9 in

Yannzerodeux
What's DOS?
Views: 246
Message 129 of 130

Hello, if it can help

I 've installed a Crucial mx500 m.2 sata 1To  sucessfully in my ideapad 

it works perfectly, clone disk with acronis, and change the booting options in the bios

(last version of bios E5CN63WW)

max1875
Paper Tape
Views: 55
Message 130 of 130

Hello,

I'm trying to install a CRUCIAL P1 NVMe PCIe 2280 M.2 SSD (500GB), in my IdeaPad 700-lsk (80-RU). In amazon, described as "Crucial P1 500GB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD - CT500P1SSD8". First, I tried a fresh install for windows 10 (both UEFI and Legacy modes, with and without secure boot options. It didn't work, basically the win10 setup cannot see the SSD (It's the only drive available, since I removed the original HD drive).

Also, I tested a linux distro (deepin 15). The install worked but the OS it's totally instable (in most of the cases, It doesn't boot the SSD at all)...any idea?

FYI

Previously, I updated this Lenovo notebook with a "Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND SATA M.2 Type 2280SS Internal SSD - CT500MX500SSD4". It worked great. Then, I thought that this new CRUCIAL NVMe P1 for my Acer Nitro V17 would be great...basically, it didn't work as well (and now I' m using the M.2 SATA version in the Acer Nitro V17 with no problem) and I'm trying now to use it in my lenovo...

Thanks in advance

max 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors