Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stelea_Eugen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,881
Message 21 of 130

Re: M.2 SSD OPTIONS FOR IDEAPAD 700 15ISK

@simsub, can you post the exact model number for the ssd you bought?

I'm new to the m.2 form factor myself, and there are a lot of confusions in the specs for both motherboards and SSDs.

There are sellers that advertise certain products as sata but they are pcie and viceversa.

And I find the lack of a complete and accurrate spec sheet for the Lenovo laptops very annoying. Come on Lenovo, you're not selling grocery here!

Thank you!

Sweeris
Punch Card
Views: 4,841
Message 22 of 130

@Stelea_Eugen, I was also hoping that lenovo support could supply us with the model specific manual.

Upto today I am still getting conflicting information on which m.2 I can use. In earlier in this thread I ot the sevice/parts manual which says I can use pcie m.2 but others say SATA m.2 works. I'm still not 100% sure which one works until I try it.

Stelea_Eugen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,815
Message 23 of 130

How can we address this question to Lenovo directly?

I really like the laptop, but i consider returning it for this very reason.

We, as customers are entitled to know what's inside the product we bought.

I find this secrecy totally unacceptable.

There is no room for trial and error here, these toys cost a lot of money.

And I am even more frustrated because i had a similar issue with a Motorola phone. They advertised a phone last year as having the TDD band 38 LTE and after a couple of months they pulled it off the specs. They even denied they ever mentioned that band in the specs. Even when I showed them a cached copy of the spec webpage they denied it.

Sorry for the off-topic, I couldn't help myself.

Cheers!

helloti
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,788
Message 24 of 130

Now I gave a try to SSD 950 Pro 250GB. Brand new 700 15ISK, 6700HQ, Win 10 on the HDD. I installed the SSD, unfortunately the BIOS can not see it, I could not install Windows on it though it is usable as a secondary disk as you will see. It goes like this: (I installed the newes BIOS, from 2016 Jun I think.) If the SSD is installed the BIOS can not be called with Fn+F2. I can see a nice cursor and that is all. So I took out the SSD, went into the BIOS, boot mode: Legacy Support, boot from USB stick. From USB WIn install starts, it can see the SSD now but when I assign it to install Windows on, it says it can not install Win on it as it can not boot from it. Though I can proceed and I tried, Win install is done in 10 mins Smiley Wink but it can not boot from SSD after that ;( If I start Windows on the HDD, the SSD is visible, 2000 MB/s read time. Unfortunately I will return the HDD as 1) Windows is on the slow HDD and 2) BIOS is unreachable unless I remove the SSD first. If anyone could have a solution I would appreciate it. I am really sad about this - I think - BIOS issue and as I do not know when it will be handled I will go with a Samsung 850 evo M.2.

Stelea_Eugen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,779
Message 25 of 130

Is the 950 listed in BIOS as a bootable device?

Perhaps Windows setup needs some drivers during installation that you need to provide?

There is one thing that is bothering me. Seems that booting from USB is allowed only when legacy boot si selected and not for UEFI. So how are we supposed to install Windows in UEFI mode?

Cheers!

helloti
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,767
Message 26 of 130

BIOS does not list 950 PRO in the hardware component list, that is my main concern. Latest BIOS: 2016.07.04. Windows setup can detect it and install a full Win 10 on it, but booting stucks after that. I can use it as a secondary drive with full capability, so it is a BIOS problem in my opinion.
CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,763
Message 27 of 130

@Stelea_Eugen wrote:

There is one thing that is bothering me. Seems that booting from USB is allowed only when legacy boot si selected and not for UEFI. So how are we supposed to install Windows in UEFI mode?

Have you tried using the "Novo" button?  With the laptop powered off, plug in your Windows Recovery USB drive and press the "Novo" button.  On the "Novo Button Menu", select "Boot Menu".  On the "Boot Menu":

(1) If you have "UEFI Boot" enabled, you should see a single entry for the Windows Recovery drive: "EFI USB device".  Select that to boot in UEFI mode.

(2) If you have "Legacy Support" enabled, you should see TWO entries for the Windows Recovery drive:

"USB HDD" and "EFI USB device".  If you select the former, the system should boot in legacy mode; if you select the latter, the system should boot in UEFI mode.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,760
Message 28 of 130

@helloti wrote:

...If the SSD is installed the BIOS can not be called with Fn+F2. ... From USB, WIn install starts, it can see the SSD now but when I assign it to install Windows on, it says it can not install Win on it as it can not boot from it. ...

My 700-15ISK came pre-installed with a 128GB SSD plus 1TB HDD, so I don't have any direct experience of your situation.  But one question: did the SSD arrive pre-formatted with an MBR partition table?  If it did, you might find that reformatting it as GPT allows Windows to boot from it.

As regards entering the BIOS when the SSD is installed, have you tried using the "Novo" button?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

helloti
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,750
Message 29 of 130

Thank you for your help. I tried to reformat the SSD with UEFI mode:

1. took out the SSD as BIOS can not be called if SSD is in,

2. switched to UEFI in the BIOS,

3. put SSD back, 

4. checked my MBR partitioned USD stick Win installer but did not work,

5. so I created a new USD stick installer with Rufus 2.1 with "Partition scheme: GPT partition scheme for UEFI", and tried.

6. Somehow Win installer does not start with UEFI, from the stick. I tried it with or without SSD in. May be I should set something else too in the BIOS...  

7. BIOS: back to Legacy mode, (I switched next parameter below it to: UEFI First)

8. SSD put in

9. Win installer starts from USB stick

10. Converting to GPT with DiskPart

11. Now Win installer does NOT say it can not be installed on this disk. Good sign Smiley Wink

12. Win installed. No problem with restarts Smiley Wink GREAT! So PRO 950 can be used to boot Windows on it.

13. Only trouble left that BIOS is unreachable while SSD is in. Novo button works though in Boot Menu if I choose BIOS, it does not start, only a blinking cursor I get. 

Stelea_Eugen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,737
Message 30 of 130

This is good news!
Can you post some benchmarks?
Thanks!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors