Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,698
Message 31 of 131

Re: M.2 SSD OPTIONS FOR IDEAPAD 700 15ISK

@helloti wrote:

12. Win installed. No problem with restarts Smiley Wink GREAT! So PRO 950 can be used to boot Windows on it.

13. Only trouble left that BIOS is unreachable while SSD is in. Novo button works though in Boot Menu if I choose BIOS, it does not start, only a blinking cursor I get. 

Excellent!  But I am astonished at the convoluted steps needed to get this to work. Smiley Surprised  I admire your persistence!

Not being able to enter the BIOS is a concern. What version of the BIOS are you currently using?  My 700-15ISK (with SSD pre-installed) arrived with BIOS version E5CN24WW, and last week I updated it to E5CN52WW.  If your BIOS is older than E5CN24WW, you could try updating it, to see if that solves the problem.

If the most-recent BIOS does not solve the problem, you will need to think very carefully whether you want to continue to use your laptop in this state:

(1) To make changes to BIOS settings, you would need to remove the SSD every time. Smiley Sad

(2) To install a new version of the BIOS, you would need to keep a working version of Windows 10 on the HDD.  This is because the "BIOS Update Utility" runs from Windows, and the SSD would have to be removed so that you could enter the BIOS to reset it.  The "BIOS Update Utility" instructions say "Reset the BIOS to default" before installing the new BIOS.  I actually tried installing the most-recent BIOS with "Legacy Support" and "Legacy First" enabled, but the BIOS update failed with an obscure error message ("String out of range").  The update worked fine after resetting the BIOS to default.

The problem with the SSD and the BIOS is puzzling.  I was surprised to learn that the BIOS has a "white list" of Wi-Fi adapters, and adapters which are not on that list cannot be used.  Perhaps there is a similar "white list" for SSD disks?  If true, the reason is not clear, but I would speculate that it is related to the settings that the BIOS needs to use to operate the SSD optimally.  If there is no international standard for this, each manufacturer's SSD devices might require different settings, and indeed different models of SSD from a single manufacturer might require different settings.  If these settings have to be hard-coded in the BIOS, for each model of SSD, the BIOS could support only specific models of SSDs.  Your Samsung Pro 950 is not on the list of compatible SSDs, so perhaps it is surprising that it works at all. Smiley Surprised  But it might mean that because the BIOS does not recognise that model of SSD, the BIOS uses "average" settings to operate the SSD -- settings that are likely to work in most cases, but which may not be optimal for that SSD.  So it is possible that you will not get all of the performance of which the Pro 950 is capable.  But I repeat: this is all speculation on my part.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

helloti
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,653
Message 32 of 131

Speed test Crystal Disk Mark attached as a file.

Stelea_Eugen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,642
Message 33 of 131

Thank you for posting the benchmark!

Very nice, but it should be better. Seems it's not using all 4 lanes, and it's probably normal, because both the wlan adapter and the nVidia card are also PCIE.

I think i'll stick to the 850 EVO, more storage for the buck.

However i'm a bit confused. The 950 pro is PCIE and 850 evo is SATA. I thought the M.2 can be connected to either the PCIE or SATA bus, but we have confirmation that both drives are working on the 700 15ISK.

How is that possible? 

helloti
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,641
Message 34 of 131

@CyberSimian

Thank you.

1) Yes, I installed the latest BIOS. It is a bit scary not being able the BIOS without removing the SSD. May be there is a white list in the BIOS for acceptable SSDs, but this blinking cursor appearing instead of the BIOS Setup could show that there is some conflict when the BIOS starts.

2.) Actually I am looking for the BIOS update for PRO 950. It is a bit strange that the 256GB SSD mentioned in the Hardware Maintenance manual (SSD PM951 MZVLV256HCHP) is not availabe any more in the computer shops here in Hungary, so it seems for me that new models will replace it. (There are other M.2 PCI-E SSDs here in the market.)

3.) There should be an official list from Lenovo of the supported SSDs. I am really curious if anytime in the future 950 will be supported or not as I have to sell it if there is no hope for mankind Smiley Wink 

helloti
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,639
Message 35 of 131

I do not know how it could be that both PCI-E and SATA SSDs work. I totally agree with you, if I can not solve this misary with the PRO 950 I will sell it and buy exactly that one (850 Evo).

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,620
Message 36 of 131

@Stelea_Eugen wrote:

However i'm a bit confused. The 950 pro is PCIE and 850 evo is SATA. I thought the M.2 can be connected to either the PCIE or SATA bus, but we have confirmation that both drives are working on the 700 15ISK.

How is that possible? 

Looking at images on Amazon, the NVMe version has one notch in the connecting strip, whereas the SATA version has two notches.  So the NVMe version has one (or more) additional electrical connections to the socket.  In principle, the motherboard could detect the difference between the two types, and operate each type appropriately.  Whether it actually does this, I don't know!

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

eljuero
Paper Tape
Views: 3,572
Message 37 of 131

I've upgraded to sm951 and succefully cloned windows from HDD to SSD. No problems there so I formated HDD to use It as a storage drive. Getting best out of the system I've also upgraded BIOS to latest, direct from SSD. Also no problems there.

It works so much faster now with SSD. Boot time 20 seconds to fully functional though. Still much faster.

helloti
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,502
Message 38 of 131

Great Smiley Wink

sdesplat
What's DOS?
Views: 3,348
Message 39 of 131

Has anybody tried to use a PM951 M2 NGFF PCIe 512gb MZVLV512HCJH with IDEAPAD 700 15ISK? In the the manual, only 128gb and 256gb are mentionned. PM951 256gb is no longer available...

idealmanu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,172
Message 40 of 131

Hi,

I have a 700-15ISK with a 1 To HD and I am planning to install a Samsung SSD as a Windows 10 boot disk.

As the PM951 256 Gb or 512 Gb indicated in the maintenance manual is no longer available and the equivalent 950 EVO is not available either, the only remaining option for a MVNe SSD is the 950 PRO. However, from what I read in this forum, it is not clear if the 950 PRO works fine with our laptops.

So, I am think to wait for the next generation Samsung SSDs : the SM961 can already be ordered in some shops in Europe (123 € in the UK for the 256 Gb) but I think it's wiser to wait for the 960 PRO/EVO to be available on the market (annouced soon in october) because some improvement will be done in the firmwares and, above all, the firmware will be upgradable with Magician (more likely  to work with our laptops and to reach good performances).

My question is simple : has anyone already tried an SSD of the 96x generation ?

Thanks for any usefull information.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors