Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
silvernblack
Fanfold Paper
Views: 928
Message 1 of 3

Maximum memory for Lenovo Ideapad 320-17IKB model 80 XM question

I ran the Lenovo Solution Center program on my Lenovo Ideapad 320-17IKB model 80 XM and it informs me of the following: 

Total memory = 8 GB

Maximum Supported Memory = 32 GB

Now, that's by Lenovo so I trust it.  I recognize that there are 4 GB of memory soldered in and there is a card with 4 GB of "replaceable" DDR4 memory installed.

My question is whether I can install a 32 GB "replaceable" type DDR4 RAM card within?  OR whether that exceeds the "maximum supported memory" specification?  I do not know of amy 28 GB DDR4 RAM cars so I'm a bit confused?  

I guess it boils down to what "Maximum Supported Memory" means?  Does it mean maximum supported "replaceable" memory?  

PS-See image attached for Lenovo Solution Center info.

SonOfHerb
Blue Screen Again
Views: 879
Message 2 of 3

Re: Maximum memory for Lenovo Ideapad 320-17IKB model 80 XM question

Hi silvernblack, I'm also new here.

Prior to starting typing this reply I knew nothing about the particular physical memory configuration of your machine, but I do know this: 99.9% of all Windows users can live VERY happily with 8 GB of RAM. That's how much you have. 8 GB is decidedly more than most all Windows users will ever need.

To REALLY need more than 8 GB you need to have some application that's a total memory hog. Such applications exist, but are few and far between. Two examples are Maya (3D computer aided design/graphics application) and an Oracle database. It's unlikely that your situation will be substantially improved by adding more RAM.

Now, there are plenty of gaming applications that can benefit from having loads of video RAM in which to store their textures, but that's usually an entirely different situation than what I mentioned in the prior paragraph. Typically, system RAM does not get used as video RAM in the context of a demanding video game application. Now, in a wimpy system that needs very little video RAM a small amount of system RAM frequently does get used by the graphics subsystem.

But I can see that you lust after huge piles of memory. I'm guessing that you want "bragging rights." I can identify with that.

If so, then get thee to the crucial.com website and get yourself a 16 GB RAM DIMM. Crucial (the consumer part of Micron) shows that your maximum RAM is 20 GB. That's 4 GB non-removable plus a slot that will take a 16 GB DIMM. Now, you could buy a 16 GB DIMM from Lenovo, but I doubt that their customer service/"hand holding on the phone" will be as good as Crucial's. This paragraph assumes you live in the USA.

Your info was correct that there is "4 GB of memory soldered in and there is a card with 4 GB of replaceable DDR4 memory installed."

However, your trust of Lenovo's program to tell you the maximum installable RAM is misplaced. That program is doing the calculation in a kinda mechanistic way. It thinks it sees two memory "slots" and mutliplies that by 16 GB per slot to get 32 GB max = wrong answer.

As I said back towards the top of this post you can likely live just fine with 8 GB of RAM. If you want more then pop over to Crucial and enter your model number (on the next line) in the search box in the upper right section of the web page and it should take you right to that page you want (or at least exceedingly close). Good Luck!

Ideapad 320-17IKB

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
silvernblack
Fanfold Paper
Views: 875
Message 3 of 3

Re: Maximum memory for Lenovo Ideapad 320-17IKB model 80 XM question

FYI - there is only one (1) memory slot in this thing. It is a bit oddballish and that's why I am asking the question. If I am going to add RAM, then I'd add the maximum that I could. I guess I'll go look around on the internet and see what the adventurous folks have experimented with and done. I already ran the Crucial checks and understand what they report. Thx.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors