Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
braille0109
Paper Tape
Views: 1,993
Message 51 of 140

Re: New Ideapad 320 really slow?

hthat was the first thing I tried. it takes almost 40 seconds to install a 20 MB screen reader. CPU reaches 100% while copying large amounts of data. and here are my user bench mark results. http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/8672981 

I'm just worried if I go back, they'll tell me I shouldn't have reinstalled windows from a USB. mine is using dynamic disks rather than basic, no clues if that makes a difference. 

BobCrabtree
Punch Card
Views: 1,937
Message 52 of 140

Did you do a CLEAN install - in otherwords tell Windows to delete everything on all partitions and install anew?

If not, please do that - ensuring first to backup any critical data.

MetalGrL81
Paper Tape
Views: 1,862
Message 53 of 140

Got this for Christmas from my husband because I need a laptop for school.. Old one crapped out.
Anyway, it started acting up. Fan was getting super hot! Turns out they had to replace the motherboard, it was defective. I just got it back, and it is still so slow I almost cried before because trying to get tasks done fast is like pulling teeth! I don't know much about computers and I don't know what to do!
braille0109
Paper Tape
Views: 1,846
Message 54 of 140

I did that just 2 days back using the Lenovo recovery USB. now my D drive shows as 25 GB, not 4 GB. with that said, there's another thing that occurred to me. when I first bought the thing, I was running a BIOS version, THAT WAS DATED BACK TO May 2017. Then, I updated it, and it's now something along the lines of QCWW, and is now September 2017. After I did that, I did notice the thing going down hill, for instance, things like the touch pad wouldn't stay off permenantly, etc. For those who managed to fix the lag, it would be interesting to know your BIOS, in case it is something to do with it.  Going to see if I can find an older version, of the BIOS, and see if that actually helps. 

Rasheed14
Paper Tape
Views: 1,790
Message 55 of 140

Basiccally lenovo 320 done this computer with manufacturing defect i feel

I never see any computer such a lower speed and done my maximum clean and re load all original programs 

nothing works 

still in 2-3 days same slower speed.

i just using e mails and excel n office -- with this moving to one to another page take time.

never buy this from lenovo

Franz3333
What's DOS?
Views: 1,692
Message 56 of 140

I fully agree ! EXTREMELY SLOW and EXTREMELY NOISY too..

I tried using it just with a single Internet page (google chrome) and nothing else apart from background tasks like Avira and Malwarebytes. 

I can't beleive it.

Very disappointing. 

What can we do about it? Is Lenovo aware of this?

Thanks

przemek1234pl
802.11n
Views: 1,671
Message 57 of 140

On my Lenovo Ideapad 520 the hotkey app (Lenovo Utility) was slowing it down a lot. I know that, because I was installing OS and drivers from scratch (cause I bought a laptop without OS) and after installing this app it was slowing it down. I've also noticed that this app has some sort of memory leak and GDI handle leak (the number of memory used and GDI objects used (both measured by Task Manager) grows up every time I press a hotkey or Caps Lock/Num Lock). It also breaks mouse cursor animation (blue circle stops spinning). I find this app very buggy, so I've uninstalled it. Unofrtunately some hotkeys don't work without it. But fortunately only 3 hotkeys do need this app: microphone mute, flight mode, camera privacy mode. Now without that app it works quite good.

BobCrabtree
Punch Card
Views: 1,636
Message 58 of 140

Had a very similar experience yesterday with a quite different laptop - a new HP Pavilion 15-cc546na with Win 10, an i5 processor, 8GB RAM and a conventional 1TB Seagate HDD.

Disk speed wasn't quite as bad as on the two Lenovo 320 models I talked about in this thread but it was still pretty dire - and the tests I did with ATTO showed that the speeds were also VERY erratic.

I carried out a few Google searches and stumbled up on an HP forum thread which claimed that the problem could be cured by replacing the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver with the Microsoft Standard AHCI Controller.

I had already updated the Intel Rapid Storage thang (to no good effect) after I realised there was a problem - as well as updating the Bios and one other driver (can't remember which, and, as you'll see in the minute, the reason is because the downloads all got deleted).

Unfortunately, I didn't properly read the solution proposed and ended up in an infinite boot-fail loop - which was a bit of bummer, since I'd already installed 95% of the software I had intended to put on this client's PC - including Office 2016; Macrium Reflect backup (I'd installed it but NOT done a backup - D'oh!); CCleaner; Adobe Reader DC; VLC media player; the Classic Shell Windows menu app; and a bunch more.

Seems, I never learn!

I booted from a Windows 10 V1803 USB stick and first tried a system restore but although that did run, it didn't fix the no-boot problem so I bit the bullet and did a clean install, erasing every partition on the hard disk when given the opportunity to do so.

The result was that performance was hugely better and there was 15GB- or more of extra hard disk space.

And, of course, I realised that the Microsoft Standard AHCI Controller was now controlling the show, not the Intel  Rapid Storage Technology driver.

I did NOT install any drivers - everything seemed to be working pretty normally and performace improved a bit after Win10 1803 itself received a number of updates.

The lesson here, I think, is four-fold.

1/ Although the Ideapad 320 is causing quite a lot of problems (and I've suffered these myself, on two quite separate machines!), these are not solely happening with that particular model or brand.

2/ A clean install carried out by booting from a USB holding the latest Windows 10 installer is VERY likely to fix problems like these (though I believe that it's critical to delete ALL partitions when offered the opportunity to do so during the reinstall).

3/ Take a FULL backup once Windows has completed the first time the PC is run - and make sure your restore media works - BEFORE carrying out anything potentially system stopping (of the sort I did with that HP laptop).

4/ Try to assess the performance of the  hard disk - using ATTO or your preferred speed tester - BEFORE you go wasting a lot of time installing the programs you intend to use.

Update

I should have said that I did uninstall McAfee at a very early stage and did various tidying of temp file with CCleaner

I should also probably have given a link to that HP forum thread, but now I can't find it, sorry!

What I would say, though, is that the safest way to remove the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver is to disable it in Device Manager (NOT uninstall - that caused my boot-fail problem!) - it's in the section for IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, reboot and then right click in the same place and ask Windows to update the driver. Choose the second option, Browse my computer for drivers software, and then pick Microsoft Standard AHCI Controller.

Hope this helps someone (but, please, don't forget my suggestion of doing backups before doing anything risky).

Update 2

Turns out that it was a Microsoft advisory thread on which I was reading the "solution" - this one here.and I'd advise people ONLY to try the disable option, NOT the uninstall option (and don't forget to get yourself a working backup FIRST.

braille0109
Paper Tape
Views: 1,608
Message 59 of 140

Is there something similar to this on the AMD side of things? I could try replacing the AMD version of it with the microsoft one, and see if it fixes it. As it currently stands, mine is absolutely beyond hope. h

BobCrabtree
Punch Card
Views: 1,601
Message 60 of 140

Please go to Device Manager and see what the present IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller is called and let us know.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors