Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BobCrabtree
Punch Card
Views: 985
Message 81 of 153

Re: New Ideapad 320 really slow?

Sad to say, I've got another client's new Lenovo ThinkPad 320 sitting on my workbench and, as you all have guessed, this one (which has a 1TB Seagate) is just a rubbish, in terms of the hard disk speed as the others I wrote about before.

I was unable to try the trick that I talked about - changing the Intel IDE/ATAPI controller to Microsoft's own - because, on this machine, there is no such controller. The only thing like that present is an Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller and this has no option to use a Microsoft driver as an alternative. I did have the ability to upgrade it to the lastest 2018 version and did do that - but no difference.

Out of curiosity - but fearing the worst - I went into the Bios (via the official route: PC Settings> Update & Security > Recovery > Advanced Settings) and changed the mode from Intel SATA RAID to ATAPI but, as I expected, this caused the machine to be unable to boot, so, dabbing F2 repeated as the machine restarted, I went into the Bios and changed that back again

Backing away from that dead-end, I followed dooce's advice and uninstalled the Lenovo Vantage - no difference - I then went to uninstall the two remaining Lenovo apps, one of which was Lenovo Settings. I ran that app first and was told that it was no longer needed, because its functionality was wrapped into Vantage! Anyway, all three Lenovo apps are now history but that made little difference. And I had rebooted after each was zapped.

So what should I do? Well, I'm advising the client to get her money back from where she bought it (Lenovo directly) not least because the old Win7 Samsung laptop she brought to me at the same time - so I can copy the data  onto the Lenovo - now performs massively better than the Lenovo, despite it being six years old and having a Pentium B950 2.1GHz, compared to the Lenovo's i3-7100U 2,4GHz CPU. And I haven't yet finished tweaking and twiddling - though I had on the Lenovo, to no good affect.

Okay, the Samsung has 6GB of RAM, compared to the Lenovo's 4GB but I don't for a minute think that's relevant here - the Lenovo is just not fit for purpose.

I've attached a couple of screengrabs so people can see the relative hard disk speeds of the two machines - and see just how horribly erratic the Lenovo is across different size of file reads and writes.

BobCrabtree
Punch Card
Views: 982
Message 82 of 153

Sorry, that last posting did not contain the speed test from the Samsung - here it is in this one.

BobCrabtree
Punch Card
Views: 980
Message 83 of 153

Nope - no significant difference.

========

This was in reply to Vijendersingh's comment:

Hey, I had the same problem when I bought the laptop but now it is working fine as I did 2 things:

1. I increased the Virtual ram of every disc. Made it equal to the actual physical RAM

2. I uninstalled the MacAffee anti-virus and installed other antivirus. I must say there is something wrong with McAffee.

Now it is working perfectly fine. Let me know if this works for you too

dooce
What's DOS?
Views: 962
Message 84 of 153

Er..... scratch that. Turned the thing on a day later and it was just as slow as before. Going back to supplier first thing tomorrow. What a rubbish bit of kit - cannot believe a supposedly reputable company can produce such a sub-standard product.

dylanhky
What's DOS?
Views: 884
Message 85 of 153

There is really no other way to go about this problem but to do a fresh reinstall and let windows 10 completely update before installing Lenovo Vantage. I kept putting it off but after months of suffering from my first purchase I finally took the plunge today .  The speed was heavenly !! 

The ideapad 320 is reasonably priced for a good configuration so for those out there that don't mind a few hours worth doing a fresh install don't hesistate to get it.

BobCrabtree
Punch Card
Views: 868
Message 86 of 153

My point would be simply that Lenovo should not be selling a machine that requires the user to jump through multiple hoops - that being so, I'd recommend people, unless they are techies, to steer clear.

Shalindria
What's DOS?
Views: 770
Message 87 of 153

I bought my Lenovo 320 nearly a year ago, rushed out to buy one as work one failed so needed one urgently.

Since I bought it (AMD A6 7th Gen, 4GB RAM), it's been abysmally slow.

Today I fitted 16GB RAM, apparently the maximum this laptop will take.  Absolutely no difference.  This laptop is so dreadful it should never have been allowed to be sold.

BobCrabtree
Punch Card
Views: 768
Message 88 of 153

Strongly suggest that you follow the advice in this thread about creating a Win10 USB boot stick; blatting the system and starting all over again - once you've backed up any of your own data on the machine.

Don't rush it - read all of the pages of this thread first.

Hamza19
What's DOS?
Views: 695
Message 89 of 153

I have just AMD A4 7th generation 2 cores and it has exceeded my expectations.

but in the beginning it was super slow but i made some changement and now it works perfect. i can help anyone here to make his computer cool if i can. i am not perfect in that but now my computer is better than before.

braille0109
Paper Tape
Views: 616
Message 90 of 153

OK guys. So just went through some new messages, let me chime in here.

My config is a 5400 RPM seaGate HDD, 8 GB, and an AMD 9700p with radian r7. From day 1, ever since it was purchased, it was slower than my samsung series 3, which it was supposed to replace. I tried everything. literally, everything! fully formatting all and every partition on the drive, USB reinstalling, even disabling UEFI reverting it to legacy and crashing the current windows installation on the drive, well, you get the idea. everything. I managed to get rid of lag, and now my CPU doesn't fly up sky high upon launching web browsers, (someone on a HP forum had the same issue, can provide links if needed) but it's still horribly slow. I ran a couple of bench marks, apparently my device performs below expectations, whereas my samsung performs above. then, I did some lenovo vantage, that all came back positive. I tried geek bench, my graphics card scored around 25000, which, for a none-sighted like myself, is more than plenty. However, my CPU scored a total of 4810. Now the issue with this, is that my 2011 dell latitude, under windows 7, with an i5 2520m scored 5300 on that very same test, so I not only feel it, but I have evidence to prove. but since the tests from lenovo came back positive, I just learned to live with it. it's rather easy to lag out the unit, not to mention that windows 10 and I have always been enemies. I can only hope that you intel users have been better off, but by the sounds of it, that's just as bad. I've learned my lesson, to never purchase HP or Lenovo again. I can provide links to any of the above, if you guys would be interested BTW. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors