English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo IdeaPad 1xx, 3xx, 5xx & 7xx, Edge, LaVie Z, Flex Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

08-19-2017

IN

3 Signins

44 Page Views

• Views: 44
  • Message 61 of 197

Re: New Ideapad 320 really slow?

2018-05-25, 3:08 AM

Basiccally lenovo 320 done this computer with manufacturing defect i feel

I never see any computer such a lower speed and done my maximum clean and re load all original programs 

nothing works 

still in 2-3 days same slower speed.

i just using e mails and excel n office -- with this moving to one to another page take time.

never buy this from lenovo

Options

1 Posts

06-01-2018

BE

2 Signins

23 Page Views

• Views: 23
  • Message 62 of 197

2018-06-01, 7:08 AM

I fully agree ! EXTREMELY SLOW and EXTREMELY NOISY too..

I tried using it just with a single Internet page (google chrome) and nothing else apart from background tasks like Avira and Malwarebytes. 

I can't beleive it.

Very disappointing. 

What can we do about it? Is Lenovo aware of this?

Thanks

Options

152 Posts

11-28-2017

PL

656 Signins

3583 Page Views

• Views: 3583
  • Message 63 of 197

2018-06-01, 14:05 PM

On my Lenovo Ideapad 520 the hotkey app (Lenovo Utility) was slowing it down a lot. I know that, because I was installing OS and drivers from scratch (cause I bought a laptop without OS) and after installing this app it was slowing it down. I've also noticed that this app has some sort of memory leak and GDI handle leak (the number of memory used and GDI objects used (both measured by Task Manager) grows up every time I press a hotkey or Caps Lock/Num Lock). It also breaks mouse cursor animation (blue circle stops spinning). I find this app very buggy, so I've uninstalled it. Unofrtunately some hotkeys don't work without it. But fortunately only 3 hotkeys do need this app: microphone mute, flight mode, camera privacy mode. Now without that app it works quite good.

Options

54 Posts

10-12-2017

GB

64 Signins

384 Page Views

• Views: 384
  • Message 64 of 197

2018-06-01, 21:12 PM

Had a very similar experience yesterday with a quite different laptop - a new HP Pavilion 15-cc546na with Win 10, an i5 processor, 8GB RAM and a conventional 1TB Seagate HDD.

Disk speed wasn't quite as bad as on the two Lenovo 320 models I talked about in this thread but it was still pretty dire - and the tests I did with ATTO showed that the speeds were also VERY erratic.

I carried out a few Google searches and stumbled up on an HP forum thread which claimed that the problem could be cured by replacing the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver with the Microsoft Standard AHCI Controller.

I had already updated the Intel Rapid Storage thang (to no good effect) after I realised there was a problem - as well as updating the Bios and one other driver (can't remember which, and, as you'll see in the minute, the reason is because the downloads all got deleted).

Unfortunately, I didn't properly read the solution proposed and ended up in an infinite boot-fail loop - which was a bit of bummer, since I'd already installed 95% of the software I had intended to put on this client's PC - including Office 2016; Macrium Reflect backup (I'd installed it but NOT done a backup - D'oh!); CCleaner; Adobe Reader DC; VLC media player; the Classic Shell Windows menu app; and a bunch more.

Seems, I never learn!

I booted from a Windows 10 V1803 USB stick and first tried a system restore but although that did run, it didn't fix the no-boot problem so I bit the bullet and did a clean install, erasing every partition on the hard disk when given the opportunity to do so.

The result was that performance was hugely better and there was 15GB- or more of extra hard disk space.

And, of course, I realised that the Microsoft Standard AHCI Controller was now controlling the show, not the Intel  Rapid Storage Technology driver.

I did NOT install any drivers - everything seemed to be working pretty normally and performace improved a bit after Win10 1803 itself received a number of updates.

The lesson here, I think, is four-fold.

1/ Although the Ideapad 320 is causing quite a lot of problems (and I've suffered these myself, on two quite separate machines!), these are not solely happening with that particular model or brand.

2/ A clean install carried out by booting from a USB holding the latest Windows 10 installer is VERY likely to fix problems like these (though I believe that it's critical to delete ALL partitions when offered the opportunity to do so during the reinstall).

3/ Take a FULL backup once Windows has completed the first time the PC is run - and make sure your restore media works - BEFORE carrying out anything potentially system stopping (of the sort I did with that HP laptop).

4/ Try to assess the performance of the  hard disk - using ATTO or your preferred speed tester - BEFORE you go wasting a lot of time installing the programs you intend to use.

Update

I should have said that I did uninstall McAfee at a very early stage and did various tidying of temp file with CCleaner

I should also probably have given a link to that HP forum thread, but now I can't find it, sorry!

What I would say, though, is that the safest way to remove the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver is to disable it in Device Manager (NOT uninstall - that caused my boot-fail problem!) - it's in the section for IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, reboot and then right click in the same place and ask Windows to update the driver. Choose the second option, Browse my computer for drivers software, and then pick Microsoft Standard AHCI Controller.

Hope this helps someone (but, please, don't forget my suggestion of doing backups before doing anything risky).

Update 2

Turns out that it was a Microsoft advisory thread on which I was reading the "solution" - this one here.and I'd advise people ONLY to try the disable option, NOT the uninstall option (and don't forget to get yourself a working backup FIRST.

Options

12 Posts

05-01-2018

GB

21 Signins

96 Page Views

• Views: 96
  • Message 65 of 197

2018-06-02, 12:53 PM

Is there something similar to this on the AMD side of things? I could try replacing the AMD version of it with the microsoft one, and see if it fixes it. As it currently stands, mine is absolutely beyond hope. h

Options

54 Posts

10-12-2017

GB

64 Signins

384 Page Views

• Message 66 of 197

2018-06-02, 13:45 PM

Please go to Device Manager and see what the present IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller is called and let us know.

Options

12 Posts

05-01-2018

GB

21 Signins

96 Page Views

• Views: 96
  • Message 67 of 197

2018-06-02, 14:11 PM

did. I seem to be using the microsoft driver already. I suspect when I wiped it off entirely last week, it already reverted to the microsoft one. thanks for the tip, though.

Options

2 Posts

08-14-2017

IN

7 Signins

148 Page Views

• Views: 148
  • Message 68 of 197

2018-06-07, 5:34 AM
core i5 7th gen, 8gb ram, 2gb nvidia geforce,
And this running extremely slow.
Options

7 Posts

03-26-2018

US

22 Signins

280 Page Views

• Views: 280
  • Message 69 of 197

2018-06-07, 15:25 PM

I watched this tutorial... It disables unnecessary Windows 10 services.. my laptop is a bit faster..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiL4E56t8YI

This also may help .. 

How to Fix Hard Drive Disk 100% Usage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOi7ReGz2L4

Options

54 Posts

10-12-2017

GB

64 Signins

384 Page Views

• Message 70 of 197

2018-06-08, 17:13 PM

Probably bad form to reply to my own posting, nonetheless...

... I had dropped off to me yesterday (June 7, 2018) a Windows 7 Toshiba laptop with an AMD processor.

A few months back, the hard disk on this laptop had started to fail and had I cloned it to an SSD.

The old HDD and the SSD were attached to one of my PCs in external caddies and I did the cloning using the boot CD of Acronis 2016 - which is one of the few cloning apps I am aware of that allows you to clone a disk to another of lower capacity than the original,

Acronis itself is NOT a program I would ever install on a PC because of a horrible experience I had a good few years back when I realised it was causing peformance issues on my main work machine and I had to jump through 1001 hoops before I was finally able to get rid of it but, afterwards, permormance was massively improved. Now what I do is buy Acronis and download the boot disc ISO and burn that to a disc.

Back when I did the original HDD>SSD job, read/write speeds of the SSD for larger file sizes were about as good as I could expect - 250MB/s - because the laptop only has SATA 2, not SATA 3. Had it had SATA 3, I would have expected the speeds to be nearer to 500MB/s. The speeds were assessed using ATTO.

Anyway, when it was dropped back to me yesterday, speeds were massively down from when I'd first set it up and, because it was AMD (with AMD hard disk drivers) and because I'd recently written here about changing the hard disk drivers, I followed my own advice and disabled the AMD hard disk drivers, rebooted and told Windows to update the drivers - and to do this by searching for drivers installed on the computer - I picked standard Microsoft and then rebooted again.

Speed was massively better but still rather erratic, so I installed (reluctantly) the latest version of Auslogics Disk Defrag, which I know tries very hard to install stuff that I don't want on a computer. Having already run CCleaner and got rid of lots of temp rubbish (and also used a couple of antimalware apps to get rid of malware), I then ran Auslogics special SSD optimise routine and, bingo, speeds were back to where they had originally been when I first installed the SSD.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete