Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Bobushka
Paper Tape
Views: 365
Message 1 of 5

New Ideapad 520s, windows not installed

Hello all.   

Sorry if i sound computer illiterate, i hope you can help me figure this out.

i recently purchased a Ideapad 520s-14IKB directly from Lenovo.   I just unpacked it, and with the first boot up I end up on a "FreeDOS" screen.   I've entered a new time and date and I end up at the C:\> prompt and have no idea what to do now.  I tried looking up this problem and from what I have gathered so far is that Windows isn't installed.   Now in the package there isn't any kind of USB stick (there is no disk drive) to load it up.    Help!   I was so excited to finally get a new computer and now I am stuck here.

thanks in advance for the help

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 325
Message 2 of 5

Re: New Ideapad 520s, windows not installed

Good day and welcome to the community.

Sorry you're having difficulty.

It's quite possible that your machine was configured/sold without Windows. If you are certain that you purchased a machine with a Windows install/license, you'll need to contact Lenovo to discuss next steps. If your machine was sold as a non-Windows licensed unit, you'll need to purchase a license and then download/install the OS.

If you could post your machine's model number, usually on a sticker on the underside, we may be able to help you research further. Please DO NOT post your serial number, which is on the same sticker.

Regards.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

Bobushka
Paper Tape
Views: 317
Message 3 of 5

Hey.   Thanks for the reply!

that would be so dumb of me to buy a computer without windows installed, I didn't even know they sold one like that.   Anyway, here is the info sticker (with the serial number blanked out).    

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 301
Message 4 of 5

Hi,

The Google found several sites that list that machine as shipping with FreeDOS, or without an operating system.  It does not include Windows or a Windows license .

https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90695915/lenovo-ideapad-520s-14ikb-80x2006cge.asp

https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/lenovo-520s-14ikb-grau-80x2006cge-a1650197.html

https://www.lapstore.de/a.php/shop/lapstore/lang/de/a/27469/kw/Lenovo-Ideapad-520S-14IKB-80X2006CGE

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 290
Message 5 of 5

@Bobushka wrote:

Hey.   Thanks for the reply!

that would be so dumb of me to buy a computer without windows installed, I didn't even know they sold one like that.   Anyway, here is the info sticker (with the serial number blanked out).    

You might try entering your S/N here: https://support.lenovo.com/sv/en/partslookup to see if any Win version is listed in your specific configuration.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors